Romanian Tourist Falls to Death from Pattaya Hotel Balcony

snoop1130

Having lived in several Pattaya apartments in my 23 year stay, I must admit the Balcony railings  are way too low,.... I'm 6  feet tall  and every railing where I've lived has been  below waist high, easy enough after a few  beers,   or not,  to be top  heavy, and  fall over..... a low railing means less stainless steal,  and  reduced costs when building these condo blocks, is my guess,    its not about safety..that's for sure

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If that was in Soi Buakhao about a year ago I think I was there, he was there for 3 days, the bar next-door had a band on the road and he even went and threw a load of money at them,

I paid for one drink and I was very drunk he was ringing the bell before I could finish a beer,

I staggered back to my hotel, when I went out for lunch, the next day, he was back in the bar again. :drunk::burp:

Not Soi Buakow and not 1 year ago, but the modus operandi was exactly the same.  Some guys fall into a chunk of money for the 1st time, come to Pattaya, get drunk everyday, bang hookers and lose control.  When reality sets in, they are without any support. Good bye cash-hello pavement. A sad way to go. 

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well he didn't jump, as he was seen clinging to the railing before losing his grip, by a hotel worker. After hearing a loud sound? above her.

Probably the Romanian chap screaming after his wife "accidentally" bumped into him while he was having a smoke.

2 hours ago, Thumbs said:

The balcony railings in many of these hotels certainly don’t comply with European standards vast majority are very low and its very easy (especially after a few beers) to go lean on the railing where you expect it to be and find nothing there and lose your balance. 

Very true and likely a factor in the large numbers from Pattaya (older hotels).  But in this case rail seems to be high enough.

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

So many ways to die in Thailand , but why is this occurring so often

in Pattaya , don't hear much about this kind of thing in Phuket ,Chiang Mai

or other resort towns .RIP ,

regards Worgeordie

bc most <deleted> up guys are in pattaya

A post contravening our Forum Rules has been removed:

27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article. Content in the public domain is limited to the same restrictions.

Accidentally fell, pushed or jumped (from a highrise building)... Either way, it's not an uncommon occurrence in Potty-ya. Especially for the over 60 set. Indulging yourself with booze, drugs and hookers (then made wifes/GFs) makes for a lethal combination. Especially for someone already suffering mentally from loneliness and lack of purpose. RIP. 

While some of these falls must be suicide, I would guess that some are also due to foul play, and some are just accidents. I've noticed a lot of the balconies here tend to be fairly low in height and some of the railings tend to be a little flimsy, so it is an accident waiting to happen, and one must exercise extreme care on a balcony here in Thailand. Like the furniture and many other things, much of what is built here, tends to be built for smaller people. 

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

Looks like Pattaya is getting a reputation for people falling jumping off balconies 

Seems it's a regular thing now 🤔 

As I have said before 8-9-10 years ago the balcony falls/jumps were happening all the time....I mean like 2-3-4 times a week....And it went on for years....Now the jumping seems to be getting popular again....

Edited by redwood1

7 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

Ah, the famous balcony deaths are back with more tourists... More booze than they drink at home... lower balcony rails than they are used at home... whether suicide or accident, does it really matter, as long as they don't injure/kill somebody or cause damage by falling on a car? Dead is dead

Hard but true. 

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

Reason:  That's because, in Chiang Mai, I live on the ground floor.

Anytime I fall off my balcony, it's never reported.

Regards,

Gamma

Edited by GammaGlobulin

Just curious if there are laws in Thailand, albeit enforced or ignored, that require disclosure upon the resale of property regarding the death at that location by suspicious, unexplained manner, by violent "unnatural" cause, or suicide, given the widespread beliefs in superstition.

Such laws are common, but not universal in the US, and vary by state and locality 

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards Worgeordie

You see, they realize they've at last reached Heaven. Life can never get better than in Pattaya. Nothing more is worth achieving. And the thought of going home or moving elsewhere is unbearable.

Best to depart now in the state of bliss. To paraphrase an old poem floating around in the 60s,

This is IT

This is really IT.

And THAT is THAT.

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I don't think it's all accidental falls. Maybe people doing it on purpose due to financial or emotional problems. It's guys that are around a lot of booze and hookers and that lifestyle can get a bit crazy if you don't have control. You pick up on other people's problems. Their problems become your problems. Often you can't tell just by seeing your neighbor who says hi and appears ok.

As a person who suffers from Bipolar II depression you are spot on about a depressed state being invisible to outsiders. Nobody who I don't tell about it is aware that I get this. However, I am careful around balconies because all it takes is losing your balance sometimes. It would be useful if someone commissioned a study into these balcony deaths to see what is at play. I suspect the biggest factor is intoxication. But there are any manner of different ways to commit suicide, this seems to be a convenient method for distraught individuals. People jump off buildings, bridges, all sorts of things in the rest of the world. Quite painless no doubt. But "being around a lot of booze and hookers" is not likely to lead to suicidal depression, that's not how psychology works, so you are wildly speculating and off the mark in that regard. If you mean that a reckless lifestyle makes accidents more likely, again you are correct. I also think that counseling and therapy may not be as accessible in Thailand as it is in other countries. I looked into it and the cost was prohibitive. 

22 hours ago, G_Money said:

How in the heck does this happen?

Seems like every month one reads of this.

Is there a uncontrollable force that makes people apparently sit on the balcony railing after a all night binge or simply enjoying a morning coffee.

Ninth wonder of the world.

Exactly what i was thinking. 

This does seem to be a regular occurrence, I think they either jump or are pushed. surely it cannot be that many persons topple over by accident. 

7 hours ago, actonion said:

Having lived in several Pattaya apartments in my 23 year stay, I must admit the Balcony railings  are way too low,.... I'm 6  feet tall  and every railing where I've lived has been  below waist high, easy enough after a few  beers,   or not,  to be top  heavy, and  fall over..... a low railing means less stainless steal,  and  reduced costs when building these condo blocks, is my guess,    its not about safety..that's for sure

You must be living in some very cheap places, because the condo building I live in, the balcony comes to about 5 centremetres below my nipples, and I'm just under 6 feet tall. No way of actually falling over the railings.

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

As I have said before 8-9-10 years ago the balcony falls/jumps were happening all the time....I mean like 2-3-4 times a week....And it went on for years....Now the jumping seems to be getting popular again....

Can't help but wonder if maybe a guy that was causing them 8-9-10 years ago has just been released from prison and he's back in business?

I've been watching too many crime documentaries, where nothing seems to be a coincidence.

On 2/9/2024 at 6:07 PM, snoop1130 said:

S__91373590-696x391.jpg

A 63-year-old Romanian tourist lost his life in a fall from the balcony of a 7-story hotel in Soi 5, Pattaya, on Friday morning, February 9th.

The incident was reported to Pattaya police around 9:30 AM. Police officers and rescue workers arrived at an unidentified hotel to find the lifeless body of the deceased, a 63-year-old Romanian man whose name was withheld pending family and embassy notification, in the garden area below the balcony.

The victim, clad only in black shorts, had sustained severe head injuries and dislocated limbs. Authorities cordoned off the scene before transporting the body to a nearby local hospital. The victim’s wife was present at the incident scene, visibly distraught by the tragic incident. She did not provide a statement to the press.

By Aim Tanakorn

Full story: The Pattaya News 2024-02-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

British,Dutch,Swiss,Swedish,German and Romanian Who is the next?

I would think most of them are suicides, Pattaya draw people in with mental issues, combined with drugs or booze and it's easy to make the wrong decision.  

6 hours ago, balo said:

I would think most of them are suicides, Pattaya draw people in with mental issues, combined with drugs or booze and it's easy to make the wrong decision.  

A plethora of possibilities. Guys trying to come out of a depression, loss of a loved one, divorce problems, financial issues. Include simple drunken accidents or drugs, (including alcohol) affecting reasoning, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 4:21 AM, G_Money said:

How in the heck does this happen?

Seems like every month one reads of this.

Is there a uncontrollable force that makes people apparently sit on the balcony railing after a all night binge or simply enjoying a morning coffee.

Ninth wonder of the world.

Try once a week. 

On 2/14/2024 at 4:52 PM, jacko45k said:

A plethora of possibilities. Guys trying to come out of a depression, loss of a loved one, divorce problems, financial issues. Include simple drunken accidents or drugs, (including alcohol) affecting reasoning, 

Final Destination only boring as heck…