Steakhouses in Thailand

4 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Where are they sourcing all the beef?

The cows I've seen north and south look half starved, the fattened calf must be somewhere.

The expensive steaks are imported while the cheap ones are local.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, uttradit said:

That it is a growing sector and enjoyable. Better than talking about politics.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

They exist since decades. Unfortunately, it seems they are relative cheap and bad or good and very expensive.

OMF is correct the cheap steak house has been here forever. 1979 first time here. Ban Rai steak house Chiang Mai. Buffalo steak with a small salad and baked potato 40 baht. Rumor they used Pepsi mixed with grated green papaya for a tenderizer. It was definitely edible especially when just returning from a 5 or 6 day hilltribe trek.  

Edited by marin
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, uttradit said:

65 baht for fish and chips, 80 baht pork steak.

Yes, sometimes there is no need to pay more, although there is a certain level of quality & dining experience (ambiance), which unless going high end, TH lacks.

Been hit & miss with beef steaks in the past, and the worse have been imported, but years past, just low quality import, I think.  Along with cooked incorrectly.   Farang managed restaurant ... nuff said :coffee1:

Lately, aside from home of course, best beef steaks have been at 'You Hunt, We Cook' @ BluPort Mall/Hua Hin, although you do pick the steak, and they always seem to have 2 for 1 bundled, so very good steak & value (2 / total ~500gr), cooked to perfection every time, so far, and about 500 baht, if memory serves.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Lately, aside from home of course, best beef steaks have been at 'You Hunt, We Cook' @ BluPort Mall/Hua Hin, although you do pick the steak, and they always seem to have 2 for 1 bundled, so very good steak & value (2 / total ~500gr), cooked to perfection every time, so far, and about 500 baht, if memory serves.

If in the neighborhood, and not looking for ambiance.  Time it right, and you can even wash it down with cold beer or whatever, since located inside Gourmet Market:

image.png.8a6fb5aa3ac7cbd77d479eca6d574303.png

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Gotta go with The Guacho chain. You're paying whitie-prices, but it's New York level good -for call it 20% off.

Their waygu burger was for real, most waygu burgers simply means reduced gristle.

I'm good for a small steak about every other year. Peppercorn sauce or blue cheese, please. Those fries should be so hot that it hurts to pick them up.

My last steak was at The Sizzler. Value for money, partic with the salad bar add on.

• Agree 1

I thought Gaucho was terrible.

A true Steakhouse with fantastic food, service and ambiance?

Not for Cheap Charlie's the JW Marriott Steakhouse is the best I have had.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I thought Gaucho was terrible.

A true Steakhouse with fantastic food, service and ambiance?

Not for Cheap Charlie's the JW Marriott Steakhouse is the best I have had.

I like my steaks getting towards well done, so it's very difficult to find anywhere here that can cook them well. Went to a very well known joint in the Asoke area last year and paid something like 4200 baht. It was awful. Almost rock solid.

Strangely enough, one of the best steaks I've ever had was on an Etihad A380 on the way over here.

6 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Gotta go with The Guacho chain.

In Bangkok yes, I like the one on Soi Lang Suan. Not tried any outside of Bangkok except the one in Ho Chi Minh City which is also excellent.

13 hours ago, Woof999 said:

I like my steaks getting towards well done, so it's very difficult to find anywhere here that can cook them well. Went to a very well known joint in the Asoke area last year and paid something like 4200 baht. It was awful. Almost rock solid.

Strangely enough, one of the best steaks I've ever had was on an Etihad A380 on the way over here.

No point eating good steak if cooked well done. Just eat the cheap stuff. Eating well done you lose the flavour and juices, like mixing single malt with coke. Defeats the purpose.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1