British Tourist Robbed in Bangkok Condo: Items Worth Over 200,000 Baht Missing

webfact

11 minutes ago, Cricky said:

Aaaah, sounds like a case of the new guy (foreigner) meets ladyboy.

That's what the OP suggests and what the original article states.

"He advised vigilance, especially during late-night outings, as criminals may disguise themselves in various forms".

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sooooooo, a newbie tourist to Thailand allows an unknown person to remain in the room while he went to sleep, and is surprised that the valuable items he left lying around were gone when he woke up!

He'd have been better off renting an hotel room with a safe.

Seems some people are too dumb to be allowed out of the house without a minder

In the military if someone did that they would be charged with the crime of providing temptation.

For some reason you like to blame the victims... shame on you.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Yannapat, aged 40, from Bangkok, on charges related to theft and unauthorized use of electronic cards.

In this report is it two stories ? and

, Mr. Daniel and his male friend, also British, ventured out to Khao San Road, where they encountered a woman later identified as the culprit.

regards worgeordie

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
22 minutes ago, Cricky said:

Aaaah, sounds like a case of the new guy (foreigner) meets ladyboy.

That's what the OP suggests and what the original article states.

"He advised vigilance, especially during late-night outings, as criminals may disguise themselves in various forms

Oh, thanks for that. 👍

I only read the first 4 paragraphs.

'ventured out to Khao San Road, where they encountered a woman later identified as the culprit'

50 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I very much doubt if the police would have been as quick in identifying the robbers and recovering the valuables if it had happened in Britain.

Be fair, you would get a police report for the insurance company, typing is easier than getting off a fat butt to do some police work.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sooooooo, a newbie tourist to Thailand allows an unknown person to remain in the room while he went to sleep, and is surprised that the valuable items he left lying around were gone when he woke up!

He'd have been better off renting an hotel room with a safe.

Seems some people are too dumb to be allowed out of the house without a minder

In the military if someone did that they would be charged with the crime of providing temptation.

Even with a safe, I seen a condo renter after returning from a night out with a new friend, put his valuables ON top of the safe and they got lifted..  so its not like he forgot there was a safe...  you can lead a horse to water...

2 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Even with a safe, I seen a condo renter after returning from a night out with a new friend, put his valuables ON top of the safe and they got lifted..  so its not like he forgot there was a safe...  you can lead a horse to water...

You'd need a combination and key safe. I got robbed with a key only safe. Lady friend simply knocked me out with an extremely effective sedative, found the key in my pocket and helped herself. Doh! What a plonker.

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Probably all in the said black shoulder bag. What a plonker!

Why did the report not say '2 x phone XRs?"

Isnt that what you did in high school english exam?

Just fill up the essay with lots of text hoping the teacher will be impressed and give you a decent grade, I did

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Sounds like a ladyboy from khao san road. They always give people BJ's in the side streets for 500 baht too, not knowing the real goal is to steal their wallet and phones in the process. Used to happen daily multiple times.

Multiple times?! Why didn't you learn your lesson after the first time?

35 minutes ago, steven100 said:

no ...   they'll take the suitcase

Interestingly enough, I've never had a suitcase stolen from a room anywhere in the world, and I've had significant amounts of money and valuables locked in them on countless occasions, during countless trips. I prefer a lock suitcase over the hotel safe, I find it to be much more secure. 

7 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

It sounds like she walked out of the condo looking like a National Geographic documentary maker walking onto the savannah. 

I wonder what his "plan of action" was in Thailand with all that paraphernalia? 

9 hours ago, BritScot said:

Think that is military mythology about being charged just to scare recruits into being careful.  I can only vouch for Brtish Military law and I  never saw any law that could be used to punish a victim of theft. 

You could in my day 1960-71. If you left the barrack room with your locker open and someone in authority discovered it, you could be charged. It was indeed providing temptation for the sticky fingered little toerags, one of whom seemed to be in every room of 30 squaddies. They were very strict about it. because nothing destroys moral more than knowing that one of your mates has stolen from you.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

I very much doubt if the police would have been as quick in identifying the robbers and recovering the valuables if it had happened in Britain.

These days I'd be surprised if they even investigated it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

Mr. Daniel, a 24-year-old British citizen, reported being robbed by a female acquaintance. 

Let me guess - an acquaintance of hours rather than years?

You missed the best part of the story...  He just thought it was a female.  They arrested a dude.