British Tourist Robbed in Bangkok Condo: Items Worth Over 200,000 Baht Missing

webfact

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Prior to the incident, Mr. Daniel and his male friend, also British, ventured out to Khao San Road

No, if they are British they would have gone to the "Koh San Woad" 😂

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sooooooo, a newbie tourist to Thailand allows an unknown person to remain in the room while he went to sleep, and is surprised that the valuable items he left lying around were gone when he woke up!

He'd have been better off renting an hotel room with a safe.

Seems some people are too dumb to be allowed out of the house without a minder

In the military if someone did that they would be charged with the crime of providing temptation.

Drugged.

British man loses 200,000 baht belongings to Thai transwoman

2012-2024-02-12T133017.jpg

A 24 year old British man filed a complaint against a Thai transwoman after belongings worth over 200,000 baht disappeared from his luxury hotel near Bangkok following her visit. The suspect was arrested yesterday, February 11.

The victim, 24 year old Daniel, reported to Bang Yai Police Station, in the Nonthaburi province near Bangkok on February 10, that the Thai transwoman, later identified as 40 year old Yanaphat, allegedly stole his valuables on February 9.

Daniel said he was travelling to Thailand for the first time. His friend asked him to go to Khao San Road on February 9 but he did not go. His friend went to Khao San Road alone and met the transwoman. The friend then invited the transwoman to Daniel’s hotel room in Nonthaburi for a drink.

Daniel woke up the next day to find that the transwoman disappeared with his belongings including US$1,500 in cash (54,000 baht), £100 in cash (4,500 baht), 2 Acer laptops, 1 HP laptop, 2 iPhone XR, 2 credit cards, a bag, a Canon camera, and a camera lens.

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via FM91

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

7 hours ago, bradiston said:

And did they recover the lost gear? Or was it just another elaborate insurance job?

Have a look at the table in front of the cop. 2 laptops, 2 phones, camera equipment

image.jpeg

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't in the British military.

Whether it was actually a real military law or not, it's a good policy to not leave temptation lying around, and I have endeavored to abide by it my entire life since then.

PS. Even if was not an actual law, we could always be caught by the cover all situations law - "Conduct prejudicial to good order and discipline".

I joined the British Army in 1969 on receiving my dog tag I was issued with a box full of condoms they were free and when you ran out of them you replenished at the medical centre  !

9 hours ago, bradiston said:

As usual all completely garbled. They arrested a man but said it was a woman who robbed them/him. It says "they" accepted an invitation to drink in his condo but there was only one culprit. Where did the third party go? And what was bought with the cards? And 4 laptops? 2 iPhones? So his mate brings the lady back to his condo, and he gets robbed. Has to be a Mickey Finn. And how did the cops trace the supposed culprit? And did they recover the lost gear? Or was it just another elaborate insurance job?

Do these crime reporters get any sort of training at all?

But it is good garble. Always fun.🙃🙃

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

I very much doubt if the police would have been as quick in identifying the robbers and recovering the valuables if it had happened in Britain.

Not so sure , There can't be that many fat trannys pulling those sort of stunts in the UK surely,  even if they did catch the robber,.

they would probably be more concerned with whether or not the perpetrator had been "misgendered " and would be looking for evidence of any transphobic behaviour, the victim of the robbery could easily find himself charged with a hate crime.

Thats alot of electronic gear hes got in his room. Enough to open a shop.

Why is he lugging all that equipment around on holidays?

Maybe making sex videos to post online.

Grab some bar/street prostitutes and away you go.

OOPS!

How did the cops find some random thief so quickly?

On 2/12/2024 at 4:17 PM, spidermike007 said:

You live and you learn, and eventually survival instincts kick in. You never bring a stranger into your house or apartment without having all your valuables locked up, whether you're asleep or not. When you do go to sleep if the person stays over, everything gets locked up in a safe or at least a locked suitcase. Better yet, in a locked room. Everything from the smartphone to the laptop to the all the money and jewelry. It's just basic preventative measures and common sense. I guess his first trip here he's a bit ignorant of how to travel safely. And very naive. 

Humans, we suck.

On 2/12/2024 at 1:05 AM, scottiejohn said:

UK Military law covers many "civil" offences including theft;

"A military criminal conduct offence covers any activity recognised as an offence under civilian criminal law in England and Wales, for example, theft, grievous bodily harm, common assault or battery. These offences are all considered charged in the service justice system as an offence against section 42 of the Armed Forces Act 2006. This covers two types of offences:

Source;

HM_Forces_-_Criminality_v1.0.pdf (publishing.service.gov.uk)

I do not see the relevance of you comment! Brining the army into disrepute was a very common charge when I was in and quite often used because of lack of knowledge of military law. I have argued against its use many times. The article comment was about a theft and the quote "in the British army you "The Victim" gets charged for your money or kit being stolen! This is false and I've personally never seen it being used or attempted to be used. Just British military folk law myth.

• Sad 1

On 2/12/2024 at 12:09 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't in the British military.

Whether it was actually a real military law or not, it's a good policy to not leave temptation lying around, and I have endeavored to abide by it my entire life since then.

PS. Even if was not an actual law, we could always be caught by the cover all situations law - "Conduct prejudicial to good order and discipline".

Again this nonsense. Having been in the British Army and having a keen interest in law, I read the 4inch thick Military Law Manual several times.  Obviously it is good practice not to leave valuables out on display, but not an offence same as stupidity is not an offence in the military. If stupidity was an offence in the military officers personal records would be so thick to make it impossible to file...... lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 7:40 AM, bradiston said:

You'd need a combination and key safe. I got robbed with a key only safe. Lady friend simply knocked me out with an extremely effective sedative, found the key in my pocket and helped herself. Doh! What a plonker.

Also, some of those combination safes are easy to break into without knowing the number or needing a bypass key. I rented i room in a cheap place once, and when I returned my safe had been opened without my knowledge and money stolen from my stash. I decided to look online to see how easy it was to bypass one of these closet safes and there were lots of demos on YouTube showing just how unchallenging it really was.