Bangkok street food vendor dies after punch in card game dispute

webfact

image.jpeg

A Bangkok street food vendor succumbed to injuries sustained from a single punch delivered by a friend during a drunken altercation over alleged cheating in a card game.

The incident, which took place yesterday, February 12, resulted in the 49 year old vendor, Wichok, being found unconscious in his room with a swollen, bruised face and bleeding from the nose and mouth. Despite attempts to resuscitate him, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigations revealed that Wichok, who ran a food stall with his 47 year old wife, Malivaly, went out to deliver food to customers before joining acquaintances for drinks at a nearby workers’ camp. After receiving news that her husband was found drunk and unconscious on a bed in the camp, Malivaly discovered his injuries. She learned from friends at the camp that her husband had argued in the drinking circle and had been knocked down by a 40 year old friend, Supachai, resulting in a fatal head injury.

Supachai recounted that he had been drinking and playing cards with Wichok and another colleague when an inebriated Wichok accused him of cheating. In the heat of the moment, following a verbal exchange and a challenge to strike first, Supachai admitted to hitting Wichok with a single punch to the jaw, causing him to fall and hit his head. Believing the injury to be minor, Supachai left the scene, only to later learn of Wichok’s death and return to surrender to the police.

by Bob Scott

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 4

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A Bangkok street food vendor succumbed to injuries sustained from a single punch delivered by a friend during a drunken altercation over alleged cheating in a card game.

Who needs enemies.

The usual "Welcome to Thailand" insults will follow, but in many countries there are "one punch" murder charges. In Oz I had a mate many years ago.
At a pub a little rat started hitting on his wife at the pub. After being told to  "go away" many times, my mate gave him one good punch. He fell and struck the base of his skull on the corner of a pool table causing his demise.
My mate was sentenced to 15 years because he uttered the words "If you don't eff off I'll kill ya" (Never intended it to be true. But in court it was taken differently.
So it is not only Thailand despite what the resident Thai bashers say!

Edited by This Guy
Typos and add details
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

The victim hit his head when falling.

Wouldn´t have done that without the punch, right? So, still a punch I guess, or do you have another way of seeing it?