Renewal Blues

It's that time of year so went to the bank for the immigration letter.

They copied out my statement in full, gave me a letter and off I went to my agent.

"This no good, have to get letter with the 12 deposits on it".

Back to the bank, "cannot do" only can give you 3 months for 500b.

Call the agent and give the girl the phone.  "Cannot, only 3 months"

"What! This no good. Immigration want 12 months on a letter stating amount transferred and the dates. Must be all 12 months.

"Cannot, cannot"

Back to the agent and leave everything with her. Sounds like its gonna cost.

I paid the 800k last year and before that covid but back in 2019 and beyond never had this problem, same bank.

Agents talking about a template that other agents use, we'll see.  Spent 4 hours on the bike today, tooing and frowing, now hot and bothered.

Anyone else had this problem? My bank is a major branch in a mall so has many falang, cant believe it's only me.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Last month when I did my extension my bank, SCB, only did a 3 month statement plus the letter.  I thought maybe it was going to be a problem but immigration, Ratchaburi, took it without saying anything.  I also had copies of all the pages in my bank book.  They do demand to see an entry in the bank book for that day.  So I deposit 1,000 baht each year when I do the bank letter.

I apply for a 12 month statement a BBL for my extension, 200 baht collection in 7 days.

I then get a mini statement on the day of application, done in branch while I wait to cover the 3 weeks or so between the end of the 12 month statement and day of application, along with updated book and letter from BBL confirming it's my account.

Been doing the same for more than 15 years.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I did my visa extension a few weeks ago and when I went to my bank they gave me an on-the-spot 3 month letter, at Jomtien IO they said I needed 12 months and gave me this sample letter to show the bank. I went back to the bank and they said that type of letter will take 5-7 business days. Cost me 100b with Bangkok Bank and it arrived 5 business days later. This was for me using the international monthly transfer.

Here's the sample letter IO gave me to show the bank.

image0 (2).jpeg

Edited by bbko
  • Thanks 2

SCB charges 200 baht for the full year statement on the spot but gives a shorter one free.

I don't get the 12 deposits -- that would be income method and yes in that case you need to show them all without an embassy affadavit.

I use the 800k method.

I think Jomtien will accept bank copies without a 12 month statement IF there are composite transactions during the year. Or perhaps the policy changed. 

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Last month when I did my extension my bank, SCB, only did a 3 month statement plus the letter.  I thought maybe it was going to be a problem but immigration, Ratchaburi, took it without saying anything.  I also had copies of all the pages in my bank book.  They do demand to see an entry in the bank book for that day.  So I deposit 1,000 baht each year when I do the bank letter.

Reading between the lines, the OP is doing 65k a month and you keep 800k in an account all the time. Requirements are much different. 

14 hours ago, deadbeat said:

They copied out my statement in full, gave me a letter and off I went to my agent.

"What! This no good. Immigration want 12 months on a letter stating amount transferred and the dates. Must be all 12 months.

"Cannot, cannot"

I paid the 800k last year and before that covid but back in 2019 and beyond never had this problem, same bank.

Agents talking about a template that other agents use, we'll see.  Spent 4 hours on the bike today, tooing and frowing, now hot and bothered.

Anyone else had this problem? My bank is a major branch in a mall so has many falang, cant believe it's only me.

Are you applying for visa using income or deposit method?

I think people are confusing the two types of bank letters. The OP is talking about the income method and not the 800K/400K method. The income method, where there is no embassy letter, requires a statement showing all 12 monthly foreign deposits of at least 65K. Bank books and proof of money in the bank is not needed. 

Apples and oranges. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

The income method, where there is no embassy letter, requires a statement showing all 12 monthly foreign deposits of at least 65K.

In the case of Jomtien they want the bank to do their job for them by pulling out and identifying the 65K + transfers from a bank statement and typing them onto a separate letterhead as posted by bbko above. Perhaps they can't understand a simple bank statement with separating columns of deposits, withdrawals and the balance.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, deadbeat said:

"Cannot, cannot"

So let me guess it the BBK Bank.

53 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I think people are confusing the two types of bank letters. The OP is talking about the income method and not the 800K/400K method. The income method, where there is no embassy letter, requires a statement showing all 12 monthly foreign deposits of at least 65K. Bank books and proof of money in the bank is not needed. 

Apples and oranges. 

Indeed. For those doing the income method without an embassy letter there are 2 separate documents required from the bank, a letter confirming current balance and a 12 month statement. I can get the 12 month statement from my bank over the counter but I believe some banks require a weeks notice.

Immigration may also require proof of transfer. I use HSBC from the UK and when a transfer is made they post a remittance advice to the account, I just download a copy for each transfer and attach them to  the 12 month statement.

Remittance advice by definition are from the remitting bank and I suspect it would be like pulling teeth trying to obtain something similar at the Thai end.

16 hours ago, deadbeat said:

"Cannot, cannot"

Change your bank.

If this was the BKK Bank, I'm surprised people still use them to make an extension, while every other bank can do a 12 month statement there and then, I still wonder why they take so long, and how they deal with those "Agents" IMO fake accounts.

I have to tell the Krungsri bank Don't give me a 12 month statement as they have in the past, I only want 3 months (I'm on a marriage exten.) 20 min all done.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Perhaps they can't understand a simple bank statement with separating columns of deposits, withdrawals and the balance.

That I suspect is down to how active the account.

My 12 month statement is less than a page but there are probably many where it runs for several pages. When it comes to immigration simplicity is key.

7 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I believe some banks require a weeks notice.

The only bank I have heard of like that is the BKB, and at my IO every document must be Same Day so I would/could never use them for a retirement extension. 

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I have to tell the Krungsri bank Don't give me a 12 month statement as they have in the past, I only want 3 months (I'm on a marriage exten.) 20 min all done.

The income method requires a 12 month statement for those without an embassy letter, marriage or retirement.

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The income method requires a 12 month statement for those without an embassy letter, marriage or retirement.

Sorry yes the income method, but irrespective the Krungsri bank can do that in 20min, plus as I have stated my IO requires all Docs to be dated same day. So why does the BKB take days, what is their problem? To busy with Agent fiddles.

Edited by brianthainess

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

In the case of Jomtien they want the bank to do their job for them by pulling out and identifying the 65K + transfers from a bank statement and typing them onto a separate letterhead as posted by bbko above. Perhaps they can't understand a simple bank statement with separating columns of deposits, withdrawals and the balance.

Not their job to evidence the transfers, that is why the system was always an embassy letter.

The monthly income figures are extrapolated from the main branch's file of 'international' transfers and printed out on a seperate letter of certification.

Immigration like letters/certificates signed by other people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bbko said:

I did my visa extension a few weeks ago and when I went to my bank they gave me an on-the-spot 3 month letter, at Jomtien IO they said I needed 12 months and gave me this sample letter to show the bank. I went back to the bank and they said that type of letter will take 5-7 business days. Cost me 100b with Bangkok Bank and it arrived 5 business days later. This was for me using the international monthly transfer.

Here's the sample letter IO gave me to show the bank.

image0 (2).jpeg

yep, these have to be ordered from the main Bangkok Bank office in Sathorn Bangkok. Fortunately I live in Bangkok so I'll just go there and get one in person. Several things cannot be done at branches with Bangkok Bank. 12 month letter is one of them. Also getting a new Foriegn Currency Account passbook can only be done at main office. Such is business in Thailand. Still using mounds of paper work for business too. They are way behind in finance Information Technology and accounting. They are still using mainframe style old banking software and systems.

Edited by likerdup1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So why does the BKB take days, what is their problem? To busy with Agent fiddles.

You would have to ask someone who knows, I already said I get my 12 month statement over the counter.

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

The monthly income figures are extrapolated from the main branch's file of 'international' transfers and printed out on a seperate letter of certification.

That must depend on the office, a 12 month statement plus remittance advice has never been a problem.

16 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why did you not take all the papers, letters, statements. bank book copies directly to the IO?

Why the agent if it's all kosher?

There are many reasons for using an agent. Not having to deal with Jomtien Immigration is one of them.

I shall be using an agent this year because I need to renew my extension 3 months early. 

• Thumbs Up 1