Will He Get Banned?

Hi,

whilst back home recently, a mate of mine was in a car on the way to a footy game that got 'flashed'.

The driver had to pay 60 quid and three points. Given that he was driving out of a favour (he wasn't a football fan and didn't even go to watch the game) the lads in the car decided to help him out.

2 lads clubbed together to pay the fine. My mate, married and living full time in LOS, agreed to take the three points on his license (he did this by stating that he was the driver).

However, he has 9 points on his license from 2000/2001 when he lived in London (6 for speeding and 3 for traffic lights - you gotta love the cameras). As those points were more than 3 years old, he thought he'd be OK to take these points now... he had thought that there is a 'rolling 3 year period... i.e. he would be ok getting these 3 points as the previous 9 points wouldn't count against him as they happend over 3 years ago.

Now he's concerned that he will have to go to court or something (he's back in LOS and wouldn't go anyway, but doesn't want the hassle of having that on record) and get banned for 12 - 24 months... basically he's not sure what the situation is.

Do you have an idea what his situation is? Is there a rolling 36 month period - i.e. if you get 12 points within this period, you get banned? or do the points stay with you forever until you reach 12 and then you get banned, then 'start over' from zero?

cheers

James