WISE Transfers from USA

I’m curious if others that make WISE transfers from their USA Bank or Credit Unions to their Thai banks are having the same issues.  Kasikorn is my Thai bank, however I don’t think that is the issue.

In the past my monthly transfer as always arrived in seconds.  Now it can take almost a week with the weekend included depending on the day I initially started the transfer.

Always had the proper amount in my USA credit union.  Never “bounced “ a check.

This has been happening for several months now.

3 minutes ago, G_Money said:

I’m curious if others that make WISE transfers from their USA Bank or Credit Unions to their Thai banks are having the same issues.  Kasikorn is my Thai bank, however I don’t think that is the issue.

In the past my monthly transfer as always arrived in seconds.  Now it can take almost a week with the weekend included depending on the day I initially started the transfer.

I just did a Wise transfer a couple of hours ago. It went through from my Bank of America account to my Bangkok Bank account faster than I could click the "done" key. I've had to wait several days before, however, when the amounts were greater. Today, I just transferred $1200 from my tax refund. In the past, when I transfer $8000 or $9000 it takes at least 24 hours.

• Like 1

Lately has been taking about 24 hours to Bangkok Bank.  Send from my credit union, wise sends email funds received around 6-7 PM, send immediately and money in bank 3-5 PM next day.

Sending $1000-2000, and selecting "funds for long term stay in Thailand".  Last 4 transfers have been coded as FTT.

• Like 1

Have automatic payments on 2nd of month of about 85,000 baht - 2 Feb 0822 advised money added to Wise account from my bank account.  2 Feb 0854 advised Baht on way to Thai account.  02 Feb 1400 Baht credited to my Bangkok Bank account as FTT.  Everything normal.

• Like 1

Appears most are not having the same problem I am.

While doing a little research it appears the intermediary bank in which the funds go to first has changed but others from the USA are not having the same issue.  So I don’t what the problem is.

I’ve even sent a email to WISE but can’t get a specific answer, only a generic reply to plan accordingly.

Navy Federal Credit Union to Kasikorn.  Average amount about $5k.  Long term stay in Thailand.

Never an issue in the past until several months ago.

I suppose it’s the new normal.

3 hours ago, G_Money said:

I'm experiencing the same thing BoA to BKK....They initially say an hour....The there's a screen messsge citing 3 days, (BoA shows the transaction completed almost immediately) <<Wise then sends an email saying it's taking longer to receive the money - apologizing for the delay of up to 3 days>>

Then in about 3 or 4 days depending on weekends they email that they've received the money, they have to exchange currency & will forward = this takes one to three more days.....

I use to transfer at the end of a month = usually 1 hour to 2 days, which was ok..... It's taking 5 to 7 days now.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, G_Money said:

For small amounts, if you use "sending money home to family," it arrives in seconds. I have been using my US credit cards and sending small amounts (10,000 baht at a time) using "sending money home to family," and it comes in seconds. 

33 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I'm experiencing the same thing BoA to BKK....They initially say an hour....The there's a screen messsge citing 3 days, (BoA shows the transaction completed almost immediately) <<Wise then sends an email saying it's taking longer to receive the money - apologizing for the delay of up to 3 days>>

Then in about 3 or 4 days depending on weekends they email that they've received the money, they have to exchange currency & will forward = this takes one to three more days.....

I use to transfer at the end of a month = usually 1 hour to 2 days, which was ok..... It's taking 5 to 7 days now.....

Ah, so I’m not the chosen one after all!

17 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

For small amounts, if you use "sending money home to family," it arrives in seconds. I have been using my US credit cards and sending small amounts (10,000 baht at a time) using "sending money home to family," and it comes in seconds. 

Understood, but I use the monthly transfer for the requirements for my retirement extension so I must use Long Term stay in Thailand so it registers as coming from abroad.

2 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

There is no currency exchange.

Wise USA keeps dollars in the local bank.

Wise Thailand keeps baht in the local bank.

The only "exchange" is where the dollars:baht conversion is calculated.  Dollars go into the Wise US account from your US bank.  Baht goes into your local account from the Wise Thailand account.  No currency exchange, nothing actually sent to Thailand except pixels, it's just a paperwork shuffle.

I assume some extra processing is required for the "long term stay" documentation, and a day for the money to reach the Wise Bangkok Bank main account, then transferred to the Wise Kasikorn account.  All of it should be automatic and immediate, but it's probably set up as batch processing which slows the process.

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2024 at 1:20 PM, John Drake said:

I just did a Wise transfer a couple of hours ago. It went through from my Bank of America account to my Bangkok Bank account faster than I could click the "done" key. I've had to wait several days before, however, when the amounts were greater. Today, I just transferred $1200 from my tax refund. In the past, when I transfer $8000 or $9000 it takes at least 24 hours.

Just to follow up. Today, I transferred the remainder of my tax fund--somewhat small than the sum mentioned above. It took 5 hours to go through. The only difference aside from the lesser amount is that I made the above transfer at 11:46am two days ago. Today, I made the transfer at 9:42am. I know that Bangkok Bank has an international desk for approving transfers that opens at either 10am or 10:30am, so maybe nothing goes through until then and somehow gets stacked up waiting to process.. Maybe they come in the office and also flip a switch for other low amount transfers. It's all magic. At least I got my money. Glad I didn't have to wait for the bank approval for paying up front for something like emergency heart surgery.

• Thanks 1