Speed Bumps

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but are most members in agreement with me about the excessive number and stupidly placed speed bumps in Thailand. They are to say the least a pain in the butt. I think the most stupidly placed I have seen, is ( or was) at the far end of Jomtien beach, on the road up to suhkamvit. On one corner there are speeds bumps either side of the road, AS YOU ARE COMING OUT OF THE BEND.

Take them slowly and on the largest angle you safely can... I have to do it a LOT here in Oz, it's the price you pay for having a low vehicle, and safer suburban streets.

PS. You may have found more sympathisers in the Pattaya forum.

I sympathize, it seems there are too many speed bumps everywhere in Thailand.

Also – turning into soi’s from a main street can be like hitting a speed bump.

I’ve a low riding car and a 4x4.

Speed bumps and these Soi entrances are potentially treacherous for the body-work in the low car, while they are just uncomfortable in the 4x4.

The reasons are fairly self explanatory…

The Roads are heavily cambered to allow for storm water flow, hence the ‘big dip’ before entering the soi.… But – cleaning the cutters and drains more frequently could solve the water flow issue. Currently – when it rains heavily the roads just flood anyway !

The speed bumps are unavoidable as and traffic calming measures, but their overuse is a lazy method. But, over use for some, is not enough for others.

They should be used near schools etc. But education is also key here.

Quick TV adds could be the way to go.

Seat belts.

Child seats.

Giving way.

Keep your distance (I’ve seen so many pileups here).

AND. "drive slow, at proper speed, and they are no problem" >> Clearly they are a problem for some, isn't that the point of the post ?

Edited by richard_smith237

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but are most members in agreement with me about the excessive number and stupidly placed speed bumps in Thailand. They are to say the least a pain in the butt. I think the most stupidly placed I have seen, is ( or was) at the far end of Jomtien beach, on the road up to suhkamvit. On one corner there are speeds bumps either side of the road, AS YOU ARE COMING OUT OF THE BEND.

if you think they are a pain in thailand you should go to liverpool,you will find them in EVERY side street,

the councils thinking is if they arnt there you will go back to the days when every joy riding smack head of a kid would play tick with there stolen cars,at least they have cut the joy riders down and if they save one child from getting knocked over and killed well i think they are worth the hassle

"...  are most members in agreement with me about the excessive number and stupidly placed speed bumps in Thailand."

Well, "stupidly placed" speed bumps, I can agree, but not speed bumps in general.

We moved into our mooban in May 1996, no speed bumps and the main soi was a bit like a grand prix oftimes during the day.  August I wizzed off to Moscow (Russia, not Idaho) for four months to pay for the addition on our house.  Need it for the wife & I, and let the 

kids and hangers on have the main house.

During the construction on the addition the entire yard was taken up with materials so the kids played out on the soi, not to good, she thinks, so she put in a 2x6 wood speed bump across the soi.  I heard later that many of the neighbors complained about this but within a few months the mooban management, such as it is, installed a whole bunch of fairly low concrete speed bumps.  

Good idea, sez I.

Mac