A car manufactured date.

I'm about to buy a new car and have received different quotes from different dealers due to different manufacture dates. Some offered a lower price for a car that is 2022, but new. However no full (5 year) warranty. Is there any manufacture date on cars that are sold in Thailand ? Or how to find it by the car VIN # ? I know that about American VINs, but how about cars that are assembled in Thailand ? 

I considered this after I read about some guy getting delivery mileage on some EV and latest reg, and finance as this year, all Ts crossed and I's dotted, but found a ton of rust everywhere when looked closely, I think he claimed the manufacturer date was 18 months ago.  Just another consider to deal with, unless you're getting a 10%+ discount which is rare here, then I damn want something out the factory within the last six months, not sat at various ports and roof top garages for several months. How much was the discount for 2022 produce? 

Edited by mfinasi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, mfinasi said:

How much was the discount for 2022 produce? 

Above 10 plus some upgrades, but I asked for full warranty. The offer with full warranty (2023) is about 8% below the tag. 1 year free 1st class and windows film. Need to place an order, not in stuck. 

26 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Above 10 plus some upgrades, but I asked for full warranty. The offer with full warranty (2023) is about 8% below the tag. 1 year free 1st class and windows film. Need to place an order, not in stuck. 

If it is 2022, it has to be in stock somewhere.

As a foreigners never buy in Thailand as life will be made difficult all along the bureaucratic process and the cheating. Not to mention the rudeness of some officials towards farangs in many road transport related offices all over.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, The Theory said:

Is there any manufacture date on cars that are sold in Thailand ?

The label on the seat belts at the bottom mount shows a manufactured date as does the code number on the glass manufacturer's detail on each window.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

Everyone gets the 1 year free 1st class, everyone gets the <deleted> window films (application garage, or in house, will usually attempt to upsell you to 3M), there's not a single person that's bought a car in thailand that hasn't got at least those even on something in demand. But 8% with full warranty isn't bad if there hasn't been a model refresh, I'd be tempted to consider above 10% if the upgrades were real and not some <deleted> from dealer like mats, full tank petrol, door foot thing protectors

Edited by mfinasi
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2024 at 9:42 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

The label on the seat belts at the bottom mount shows a manufactured date as does the code number on the glass manufacturer's detail on each window.

These would be the date each item is produced. Probably fitted to the vehicle much, much later.

• Agree 1

On 2/22/2024 at 7:36 PM, mfinasi said:

I considered this after I read about some guy getting delivery mileage on some EV and latest reg, and finance as this year, all Ts crossed and I's dotted, but found a ton of rust everywhere when looked closely, I think he claimed the manufacturer date was 18 months ago.  Just another consider to deal with, unless you're getting a 10%+ discount which is rare here, then I damn want something out the factory within the last six months, not sat at various ports and roof top garages for several months. How much was the discount for 2022 produce? 

"I damn want something out the factory within the last six months, not sat at various ports and roof top garages for several months." You can never be sure. In Australia vehicles are not considered completed until they reach ADR status. ADR= Australian Design Rule. So, wiper arms & internal sunvisors not fitted rendering vehicle incomplete. At an appropriate date said items are fitted, vehicle now fully complies with ADR & compliance plate fitted. From the time the vehicle lands in Aussie until compliance plate fitted is anyone's guess. I've been retired from the industry for some time. Things may have changed since. Doubt it !

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2024 at 6:13 PM, The Theory said:

I'm about to buy a new car and have received different quotes from different dealers due to different manufacture dates. Some offered a lower price for a car that is 2022, but new. However no full (5 year) warranty. Is there any manufacture date on cars that are sold in Thailand ? Or how to find it by the car VIN # ? I know that about American VINs, but how about cars that are assembled in Thailand ? 

ts important to know what other dealers are prepared to offer  before you decide to walk into your  preferred dealership

If you post in thai on the facebook groups you will receive many offers, majority of them will only be interested in low payment installment deals as they offer large comission to the sales agent. stick firm and state your only interested in cash deals.

if they ask for a phone number give them a phone number of a Thai speaker

the manufacturer sets the price and the manufacturer does build in a discount margin for the dealer to operate in, but if the dealer can get away with selling a vehicle at the manufacturer price more profit for the dealer,

for certain months the manufacturer offers extra incentives to a dealer for buying the vehicle

If you look at online insurance where they asked for the manufacturing month on the quote  normally a December 2023 build has a lower capital value than a January 2024 build

From March 2024 dealers will be looking to offload their 2023 stock Its a no-brainer you go into a showroom and a dealer tries to sell a 2023 model in stock  for the same price as a 2024 model maybe with a 2 week delivery timeframe

For a vehicle costing B1.3 Million baht depending on brand and model for a late 2023 model you should get approx 15-17% off list price with full warranty for a 2024 model discount will range from 7-8%

Stay clear of the spare or demo cars once a set of plates are put on the car that when the warranty countdown starts

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malt25 said:

"I damn want something out the factory within the last six months, not sat at various ports and roof top garages for several months." You can never be sure. In Australia vehicles are not considered completed until they reach ADR status. ADR= Australian Design Rule. So, wiper arms & internal sunvisors not fitted rendering vehicle incomplete. At an appropriate date said items are fitted, vehicle now fully complies with ADR & compliance plate fitted. From the time the vehicle lands in Aussie until compliance plate fitted is anyone's guess. I've been retired from the industry for some time. Things may have changed since. Doubt it !

What you should do is before you place a deposit , on the order form is specify a manufacturing month such as no older than 2 or 3 months from order date some dealers will tell you they can't guarantee that they can meet your  manufacturing months requirement's however when you advise them your going to a different dealership they will say they can meet your manufacturing months requirement's once it down on the order form they have to deliver or risk having an wanted car in their showroom and having to refund your initial deposit

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, malt25 said:
On 2/22/2024 at 9:42 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

These would be the date each item is produced. Probably fitted to the vehicle much, much later.

"Probably fitted to the vehicle much, much later".

Not very, very likely, the manufacturers don't tend to keep those items for a long, long time, they are generally fitted very, very rapidly that's why they are accepted as a good, good indication of the manufactured date. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not very, very likely, the manufacturers don't tend to keep those items for a long, long time, they are generally fitted very, very rapidly that's why they are accepted as a good, good indication of the manufactured date. 

Who accepts this as a good indication ?

6 hours ago, malt25 said:

Care to offer why you are laughing ?

1 minute ago, malt25 said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Who accepts this as a good indication ?

The industry. 

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

What you should do is before you place a deposit , on the order form is specify a manufacturing month such as no older than 2 or 3 months from order date some dealers will tell you they can't guarantee that they can meet your  manufacturing months requirement's however when you advise them your going to a different dealership they will say they can meet your manufacturing months requirement's once it down on the order form they have to deliver or risk having an wanted car in their showroom and having to refund your initial deposit

What is your point ? The compliance plate will show the date the vehicle certified as being compliant, not when it was actually built. The actual build date could be months prior.

10 minutes ago, malt25 said:

What is your point ? The compliance plate will show the date the vehicle certified as being compliant, not when it was actually built. The actual build date could be months prior.

My point is when your order a car without specifying  manufacturing months on the order form the dealership , if the dealer has one in stock that has been sitting around for 6-8 months that's the vehicle your more than likely end up with

Now when you order if you say to the dealer you will only accept a vehicle that's has a manufacturing age of not more than 2 months old from your order date then the dealer can't try and supply you with a vehicle that has been in stock for 6-8 months

The build date is listed in the blue book

Edited by vinny41
add

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

My point is when your order a car without specifying  manufacturing months on the order form the dealership , if the dealer has one in stock that has been sitting around for 6-8 months that's the vehicle your more than likely end up with

Now when you order if you say to the dealer you will only accept a vehicle that's has a manufacturing age of not more than 2 months old from your order date then the dealer can't try and supply you with a vehicle that has been in stock for 6-8 months

The build date is listed in the blue book

I understand what you are saying. My point is you want a vehicle that is no older than say 3 or 4 months. Yes, that's what the compliance plate & blue book will state. BUT, the vehicle may be 12 or more months old.

Just now, malt25 said:

I understand what you are saying. My point is you want a vehicle that is no older than say 3 or 4 months. Yes, that's what the compliance plate & blue book will state. BUT, the vehicle may be 12 or more months old.

Extremely unlikely in Thailand most manufacturers build Just in Time  and the majority of manufacturers have a minor change to their vehicles every year so for example Toyota normally does it minor change in May or June actually they do published the details on their websites so for example in 2023 you could buy a vehicle in July 2023  with 2024 specs or if you purchased from existing stock it could be 2023 specs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malt25 said:

understand what you are saying. My point is you want a vehicle that is no older than say 3 or 4 months.

That's right. I had different offers for new car but in fact they were 2022 and 2023. 2022 (about 100,000 below the tag) was short about a year warrant even though it was still new. 2023 (about 70,000 below the tag) came with full warranty, but still a year old from manufacture date. 
I asked for a 2024 that is built in 2024 (not more than 2 months old, I'm waiting for a green light. 

• Like 1

What people do not ever realize is save a deal Dealership is pushing a certain model for you to get in. They’re gonna give you a discount very possible. The manufacture will give cash back to the parts department of the dealership if they sell an example 20 of a certain model they’ll get back from the manufacturer may be 1000 or more dollars US if they make that call so they discount that one model one day before the end of the month said they lose even $2000 on it with the dealership is still making a minimum of $20,000 cashback from the factory And never tell you the money is always sent to the parts department 

On 2/22/2024 at 8:53 PM, Sigmund said:

As a foreigners never buy in Thailand as life will be made difficult all along the bureaucratic process and the cheating. Not to mention the rudeness of some officials towards farangs in many road transport related offices all over.

And the cheating? can you explain what cheating?  Many Dealers will register a vehicle for you in your name.

On 2/22/2024 at 8:53 PM, Sigmund said:

Utterly Nonsense:cheesy: I bought some Cars here in TH over the last 17 Years! Easy! 

• Confused 1