Disturbing hygiene at Bangkok chicken rice restaurant exposed

snoop1130

14 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

Are Thais still afraid of catching "Covid" from dirty glasses and dishes? Is this why they still wear their masks while seated at restaurants, refusing to take them off until the food arrives?

I certainly agree that what this restaurant is doing is unhygienic but man, move on from this Covid nonsense already. The entire world has forgotten about it and has more pressing concerns to worry about.

I watch them in restaurants with the mask on, the communal bowl of rice and other foods arrive at their table, the masks are removed  and  everyone  dives into the   communal food with their chopsticks  and then into their mouths exchanging  Salivas, makes me feel ill 

Not just Thai venues, as the grossest kitchen I've ever been in was at a very popular farang managed bar at Udon Thani.  Afterwards I never ordered food again there.

People that have never 'serviced' restaurant would be applauded at some of them, especially the higher end ones.  My experience anyway, when providing linen service and flowers to restaurants back in the Philly area, USA.   Quite eye & nose opening.

1 minute ago, actonion said:

I watch them in restaurants with the mask on, the communal bowl of rice and other foods arrive at their table, the masks are removed  and  everyone  dives into the   communal food with their chopsticks  and then into their mouths exchanging  Salivas, makes me feel ill 

That's what serving spoons are for, especially rice dishes.  Though agree, hard not to transmit with the communal sharing style of eating in TH.

You complainers should have been here 30 years ago. Or come to Cambodia. 

Im very selective about what and where I eat ON the street.  Common sense, dont eat Oysters off a bed of dirty ice under a freeway. Im less selective when its takeaway where clean utensils and a microwave await at home but I still avoid the blatant nonos. Its easier when you live here because you can cook at home, excpet for the times you need that disgusting addictive tasty unhealthy 7-11 toasty. Or the bologna.

On 2/23/2024 at 7:38 PM, snoop1130 said:

hygiene in society, emphasising the responsibility everyone has in maintaining their health.

No ....  it should be emphasizing the responsibilty of the restaurant ....  and the restaurants name. 

I think given the level of hygiene here in Thailand and the nature of street and market food the incidence of tummy upsets is really very low. It seems that most  folk eat market food or street food a few times a week. It's not like Mexico or India where you only have to breathe the air to get "Delhi belly".

On 2/23/2024 at 8:06 PM, WhatMeWorry said:

This is the main reason I never eat food from street vendors. The food is very unhealthy, prepared in the street and the utensils are covered in germs. Who in there right mind wants to eat in the street with cars belching smoke and pollution.

Never had a problem in 40 years. Eat food from busy stalls where it is cooked good.