Thai Airways records recovery with US$782 million profit in 2023

webfact

7 hours ago, vangrop said:

The operating profit, excluding one-time items, also saw an upturn, reaching 24.6 billion baht.

Says it all. Its creative accounting as usual, I bet they again had loss. Too many parked airplanes, too high rates, too much people sucking the same lollipop as before. I never never never ever will buy one share of this company based on cronyistic management.

Absolutely correct .....  fudging the numbers, so it looks like a positive $ when it's actually not.

it's not rocket science that's for damn sure   !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, sandyf said:

BA still operate London to BKK via Doha using Qatar Aiways.

This type of arrangement always makes me smile. What it really means is that you can buy a ticket with BA and they will put you on a different airline's flight. Yes, I know the ownership arrangements, but the service, perks, priveleges and attitude are sometimes completely different (and with a stop over). Maybe an improvement versus BA possibly 🙂 Still, with BA not flying to BKK themselves, there is reduced competition on the direct non-stop LHR/BKK route which means that THAI (and EVA) can get away with charging higher fares.

17 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Short term measures to look good with little long term planning.

Ordering 45 Boeing 787s to be delivered over ten years starting from 2027 seems like long term planning to me: https://www.thaiairways.com/sites/en/news/news_announcement/news_detail/tg-boeing-joint.page#:~:text=Singapore%2C 20 February%2C 2024 -,up to 80 Dreamliners%2C at

24 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Ordering 45 Boeing 787s to be delivered over ten years starting from 2027 seems like long term planning to me: https://www.thaiairways.com/sites/en/news/news_announcement/news_detail/tg-boeing-joint.page#:~:text=Singapore%2C 20 February%2C 2024 -,up to 80 Dreamliners%2C at

Yes, but returning to profit just this year, with a lot of one off item listed, means that by ordering large now, if profits take a hit, they can again look for a handout again as the company hope to be clear of the bankruptcy order this year.

4 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Yes, but returning to profit just this year, with a lot of one off item listed, means that by ordering large now, if profits take a hit, they can again look for a handout again as the company hope to be clear of the bankruptcy order this year.

I don't know anything about that. What I do know, however, is that with the huge order backlogs that both Airbus and Boeing have, when ordering new planes, expected deliveries are many years in the future; hence the need for (very) long time planning.

• Agree 1