Kratom Juice Vendors Arrested in Kathu

webfact

image.jpeg

Kathu – Kratom juice vendors were arrested at a local grocery in Kathu district.

The Kathu District Officers told the Phuket Express that on Thursday (February 22nd) they inspected a local grocery store in the Kathu sub-district. There they arrested two Thai men at the grocery store (Their names and ages were not given by officers).

The inspection followed complaints from concerned citizens. Seized from the two men were many bottles containing Kratom juice and also some in huge cooking pots. They were taken to Kathu Police Station to face further legal action.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-02-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1

Outrageous. Police should be forbidden from harassing such vendor. Citizens, residents and tourists should be able to consume anything that grows naturally or is derived from such plants. 

• Love It 2

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Outrageous. Police should be forbidden from harassing such vendor. Citizens, residents and tourists should be able to consume anything that grows naturally or is derived from such plants. 

It's what these guys add to it, cough mixture being one

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Seppius said:

It's what these guys add to it, cough mixture being one

It doesn't say so in the article. It says "kratom juice" which I take to mean "kratom tea".

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I believe Kratom to be legal other than to sell to under 18's, and pregnant or breast feeding women. .

From the linked article.

Police are warning local groceries in Phuket and Thailand that Kratom juice is listed as a controlled herbal product and any such controlled herbal product cannot be produced or sold without permission by the Thai Food and Drug Administration.

Kratom Juice is also not allowed to be added as an ingredient or mixed into other food or juice for selling. So even pure Kratom Juice in a bottle cannot be sold, especially on public streets.

• Agree 1

It's freely available on the streets where I live - sold from the back of cars at night.  They all have bright flashing lights as advertising, so not hard for the police to spot if they believed it was threat to humanity.

Anyone tried it?

• Agree 1

Kratom leaves are legal. AFAIK extracts are not.

Kratom extracts (boiling I guess, not sure if there are any other steps or additives) are used to make Happy Water. MAnufacture of Happy Water is uncontrolled.

In addition to new substances emerging on the illicit drug market in the region, the emergence of a new drug product was noticed, sold under the street name of “Happy water”. The product is typically sold online through social media as well as in entertainment venues in liquid or powder form and consumed dissolved in water or other drinks. “Happy water” products may contain a range of different psychoactive substances in varying combinations and concentration. “Happy water” samples seized recently in Thailand, for example, contained MDMA, methamphetamine, diazepam, caffeine, tramadol, and ketamine.

The effects of consuming drug products containing a combination of substances can be unpredictable and dangerous. Most overdoses, including fatal ones, involve use of more than one type of drug.

https://www.unodc.org/LSS/Announcement/Details/0f57ddbe-01dd-481c-af78-0bc494c84a53

https://aseannow.com/topic/1294617-tourists-warned-against-taking-‘happy-water’-drug-in-thailand/

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kinnock said:

It's freely available on the streets where I live - sold from the back of cars at night.  They all have bright flashing lights as advertising, so not hard for the police to spot if they believed it was threat to humanity.

Anyone tried it?

I tried it a few times - works great as a painkiller. It feels like more of a body high without psychedelic effects, compared to cannabis. However, it seems easy to "overdose" on it, with a sweet spot being somewhere around 7-10 grams for me when making tea. Any more than that and it makes me feel nauseous. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SS1 said:

I tried it a few times - works great as a painkiller. It feels like more of a body high without psychedelic effects, compared to cannabis. However, it seems easy to "overdose" on it, with a sweet spot being somewhere around 7-10 grams for me when making tea. Any more than that and it makes me feel nauseous. 

I wonder how it functions as post operative (simple op) pain relief... for something such as knee surgery, or even as pain relief for a broken leg / arm etc...  Or even sciatica and back pain... 

Seems like it could be effective and better than taking other meds...   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

The effects of consuming drug products containing a combination of substances can be unpredictable and dangerous. Most overdoses, including fatal ones, involve use of more than one type of drug.

https://www.unodc.org/LSS/Announcement/Details/0f57ddbe-01dd-481c-af78-0bc494c84a53

https://aseannow.com/topic/1294617-tourists-warned-against-taking-‘happy-water’-drug-in-thailand/

Happy Water, what a crappy cocktail again! The quality of drugs in this part of the world is on a par with the quality of food IMO.

Edited by JackGats