Progress made in hostage talks after U.S. presents new proposal, sources say

Social Media

Topics Update: Israel Gaza: Biden hopes for ceasefire by next week

US President Joe Biden has said he hopes to have a ceasefire "by next Monday" in the Israel-Gaza war.

His comments come amid reports of some progress reached in ongoing negotiations involving Israel and Hamas representatives in Qatar.

"My national security advisor tells me that we're close," Mr Biden said. 

"We've had progress with the conversations we've had between Egypt, Israel, the United States and Qatar," said spokesman Matthew Miller.

Source

image.png

Some details on the deal if it goes through. The first stage is a 40 day ceasefire with the release of 40 mostly women, kids under 19 and any elderly. They will be exchanged for 400 mostly "heavy crimes convicted" prisoners. Gradual return of  civilians - except men of military service age - to the northern Gaza Strip. The IDF to move its forces away from any densely populated areas. More aid trucks and tents etc, repair of hospitals and bakeries.

The second stage is subject to further talks. 

Details here: 

https://www.france24.com/en/middle-east/20240227-details-emerge-of-40-day-gaza-truce-draft-proposal-being-studied-by-hamas

There is talk that Biden may have been talking too soon on this deal according to Hamas but hopefully for the hostages sake and a temp ceasefire it will go through.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Social Media said:

US President Joe Biden has said he hopes to have a ceasefire "by next Monday" in the Israel-Gaza war.

According to the report I heard on Al Jazeera a while back, Biden is playing to his domestic audience as Hamas had not received an official offer. He must have finally wised up that the conflict in Gaza is making him unpopular.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/27/middleeast/gaza-ceasefire-israel-hamas-biden-reaction-intl/index.html

Israel and Hamas distance themselves from Biden’s optimism on Gaza ceasefire deal.

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

According to the report I heard on Al Jazeera a while back, Biden is playing to his domestic audience as Hamas had not received an official offer. He must have finally wised up that the conflict in Gaza is making him unpopular.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/27/middleeast/gaza-ceasefire-israel-hamas-biden-reaction-intl/index.html

Israel and Hamas distance themselves from Biden’s optimism on Gaza ceasefire deal.

I've never read a positive post from you, nothing. There is a lot to hope for in the next few days.

Hamas chief claims flexibility in truce talks, calls for Ramadan march on Jerusalem

Hamas official: Permanent ceasefire not a condition for first phase of hostage deal

Iran will back Israel-Gaza ceasefire if Hamas do, says Foreign Minister

Of course this may come to nothing again because the terrorists don't care but the families of the hostages, the hostages themselves and for a humanitarian pause and ceasefire in Gaza you should be urging this on!

• Thumbs Up 1

Topic Update: Israel-Gaza war: Israel demands names of hostages still alive for deal on new ceasefire

image.png

Mediators and Hamas have arrived in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, for talks on a new ceasefire, as Israel is reported to be demanding reassurances on the hostages' fate before attending.

An unnamed US official has said Israel has "more or less accepted" the deal.

But Israeli media say Hamas is refusing to confirm which of its hostages are still alive, so Israel will not attend.

The US says the six-week pause would see the release of more Israeli hostages and Palestinian prisoners.

Delegates from Qatar and the US are also understood to be in Egypt.

Source

image.png

Hamas claims they don't know which hostages are alive or dead. Weird, they seem to be able to give out exact death and injury figures each day but not for the hostages?

Israeli officials - quoted in local media - demand clear answers from Hamas on key issues as well as a list of the surviving Israeli hostages who could be released with an agreement.

Meanwhile, a senior Hamas official, Dr Basem Naim, told the BBC on Sunday that "practically, it is impossible to know who is still alive" because of continuing Israeli bombing.

"They are in different areas with different groups. We have asked for a ceasefire to collect that data," he added.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68469699

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Hamas claims they don't know which hostages are alive or dead. Weird, they seem to be able to give out exact death and injury figures each day but not for the hostages?

Israeli officials - quoted in local media - demand clear answers from Hamas on key issues as well as a list of the surviving Israeli hostages who could be released with an agreement.

Meanwhile, a senior Hamas official, Dr Basem Naim, told the BBC on Sunday that "practically, it is impossible to know who is still alive" because of continuing Israeli bombing.

"They are in different areas with different groups. We have asked for a ceasefire to collect that data," he added.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68469699

Why was their response to that claim not reasonable or believable on it's face?

If they were disingenuous they would have simply provided the full list and said they were all alive.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Why was their response to that claim not reasonable or believable on it's face?

Did you read my post in which I gave my opinion on that already, why are you asking me again?

EDIT: why did you edit your post when I had already replied, very dishonest again from you, not the first time.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Did you read my post in which I gave my opinion on that already, why are you asking me again?

EDIT: why did you edit your post when I had already replied, very dishonest again from you, not the first time.

I did not edit my post after reading your reply. I edit the vast majority of my posts.

My question is why the response was not reasonable. You didn't remotely try to answer that.

Edited by ozimoron

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

I did not edit my post after reading your reply.

My question is why the response was not reasonable. You didn't remotely try to answer that.

You did, the time on edits is visible stop lying

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You did, the time on edits is visible stop lying

did not alter the original question. I added a second sentence to the post. jeez. You've lost the plot. I never denied that I edited the post. Prove that I read your post before editing mine. jeez.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 2

Just now, ozimoron said:

did not alter the original question. I added a second sentence to the post. jeez.

I know, after I had already replied, the proof is there in the edit time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's likely, IMO, that netanyahu doesn't want a ceasefire, so is putting up proposals that Hamas will never agree to. If he was serious he's have sent a team to Cairo that were authorised to negotiate.

For someone who deliberately misspells Israel everytime you write it, your opinion is not worth much. Especially when all the available evidence is opposite to what you claim. The last ceasefire was broken by Hamas when they refused to release any more female hostages as a greed then decided to lob a few rockets into Israel. 

Israel then tried to get another one going for a week with further exchanges, Hamas refused again. Now the latest has a 6 week ceasefire in the first stage plus a few other concessions which Israel agreed to. So where are we with Hamas, they won't even confirm a simple request to tell Israel how many hostages are alive and who will be released, with the excuse that they don't know. Rubbish don't believe a word of it. 

Oh and would it be because as suspected in the last one they broke, they would not release any more females because they were being sexually abused as suspected by the US? You do know the UN has just released a report on that right? They have evidence of mass rapes and sexual abuse along with reasonable grounds to believe its ongoing in captivity due to the hostages returned and sharing their experiences.

"17. With respect to hostages, the mission team found clear and convincing information that some have been subjected to various forms of conflict-related sexual violence including rape and sexualized torture and sexualized cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment and it also has reasonable grounds to believe that such violence may be ongoing. "

"Hamas negotiators under pressure to produce list of hostages to be released 'According to #Hamas' publications, they claim 70 hostages have died. I believe one of the reasons it doesn't want to give a list is because it doesn't want to show the number they're claiming is much lower,' @JerusalemCenter's analyst Dr. Jacques Neriah"

• Like 1

Irrespective of how many hostages are still alive, there is still the fact that Israel has not complied with a vast majority of UN resolutions since 1948, they have kept the Palestinians in a state of occupation and they have fought back. The fact that it is now easy to see this all happening on social media is Israel's problem, where as before this has been swept under the carpet to the majority of the world now Israel cannot hide their barbaric treatment of the Palestinians and the world is responding.

3 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Irrespective of how many hostages are still alive, there is still the fact that Israel has not complied with a vast majority of UN resolutions since 1948, they have kept the Palestinians in a state of occupation and they have fought back. The fact that it is now easy to see this all happening on social media is Israel's problem, where as before this has been swept under the carpet to the majority of the world now Israel cannot hide their barbaric treatment of the Palestinians and the world is responding.

Victim blaming the innocent hostages being held captive and sexually abused. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Victim blaming the innocent hostages being held captive and sexually abused. 

How can Israeli's be innocent after 76 years of oppression by their country?

If Israel wants peace get with the program of the rest of the human race.

• Confused 1

Just now, Jeff the Chef said:

How can Israeli's be innocent after 76 years of oppression by their country?

If Israel wants peace get with the program of the rest of the human race.

You are obviously confused as to what innocent hostages being held captive by terrorists are. Until you grasp that its pointless discussing in a hostage topic. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

You are obviously confused as to what innocent hostages being held captive by terrorists are. Until you grasp that its pointless discussing in a hostage topic. 

No, until you grasp the fact that Israel has shown total disrespect to the UN since it's inception as far as I'm concerned whatever Hamas does is lawful and above board, both sides are wrong doing what they are doing to innocent civilians maybe but from what I've seen of Israeli attitudes to Palestinians it's time they got a bit of there own back, suck it up Israel, you deserve no more. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Jeff the Chef said:

No, until you grasp the fact that Israel has shown total disrespect to the UN since it's inception as far as I'm concerned whatever Hamas does is lawful and above board, both sides are wrong doing what they are doing to innocent civilians maybe but from what I've seen of Israeli attitudes to Palestinians it's time they got a bit of there own back, suck it up Israel, you deserve no more. 

Currently the sticking point for the hostage release is the list of hostages that are still alive. If it gets to UN resolutions from 76 years ago let me know and I'll be happy to discuss. You are deflecting from this serious topic of innocent hostages but that's expected from you.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Currently the sticking point for the hostage release is the list of hostages that are still alive. If it gets to UN resolutions from 76 years ago let me know and I'll be happy to discuss. You are deflecting from this serious topic of innocent hostages but that's expected from you.

What a load of rubbish, the current sticking point is Netanyahu doesn't want to go anywhere near a ceasefire because if he does that's the end of him.

He didn't even give his delegation the right to negotiate at the last meeting.

Don't be surprised if he gets a bullet soon. (Wishful thinking on my part)

Edited by Jeff the Chef
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

What a load of rubbish, the current sticking point is Netanyahu doesn't want to go anywhere near a ceasefire because if he does that's the end of him.

Link to that unsubstantiated claim?

But Israeli media say Hamas is refusing to confirm which of its hostages are still alive, so Israel will not attend.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68461543

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Link to that unsubstantiated claim?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68461543

All tit for tat, lol

5 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Like the ceasefire  Netanyahu agree to last month and it only stopped because Hamas broke the agreement ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

You are a disgraceful poster! 

• Like 2