Jump to content

Don Mueang Reveals Conditions For Carrying Spare Batteries On Airplanes


webfact

Recommended Posts

image.jpeg

 

AFTER a power bank exploded on a Thai AirAsia flight from Don Mueang Airport to Nakhon Si Thammarat yesterday (Feb. 24) and fortunately none of the 186 passengers and crew were harmed with the airplane landing safely at the destination, this airport today published conditions for carrying spare batteries, with power banks being considered one of them, on board on its Facebook page, Thai Rath newspaper said.

 

IATA considers power banks to be a type of stand-alone battery, which must be classified as UN3480 (lithium ion) or UN3090 (lithium metal), as appropriate.

 

The conditions for only taking them in carry-on baggage not checked-in baggage are as follows:

 

– Battery capacity not exceeding 20,000 mAh (less than 100 Wh) maximum 20 pieces per person. Permission from the airline is required to carry more than than this on a flight;

 

by TNR Staff

Power banks being used. Photos: Thai Rath

 

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2024-02-26

 

RELATED TOPIC:

Power Bank Explosion Causes Panic on AirAsia Flight

https://aseannow.com/topic/1320816-power-bank-explosion-causes-panic-on-airasia-flight/

 

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

 

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

 

Join us now!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, webfact said:

must be classified as UN3480 (lithium ion) or UN3090 (lithium metal)

So many darn knock off's with fake stickers sold in Thailand.

Me thinks that's going to be a problem....

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe just follow the industry guidance issued by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). These guidelines are supported by The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), to which Thailand is a member state.

 

Thai Airways, Bangkok Airways and Thai Lion Air are also all members of IATA.

 

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/05e6d8742b0047259bf3a700bc9d42b9/iata-guidance-on-smart-baggage-with-integrated-lithium-batteries-and-electronics.pdf

 

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/05e6d8742b0047259bf3a700bc9d42b9/lithium-battery-guidance-document.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

So many darn knock off's with fake stickers sold in Thailand.

Me thinks that's going to be a problem....


Yes agree there many cheap products available, but UN3480 (lithium ion) or UN3090 (lithium metal), will not be stamped on any products, real or fake.
 

This is just the UN numbers that identify dangerous goods and hazardous substance when being transported, not on the finished product.

 

Typical power bank will look something like this, or less info

IMG_2193.jpeg

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A very rare occurrence considering the number of power banks in circulation.

Perhaps it was on load,  connected to something at the time. Very little detail given in the incident reports. One said it was in a seat pocket, another it was in an overhead. Another that a 'leather' seat was scorched.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/26/2024 at 11:13 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

Perhaps it was on load,  connected to something at the time. Very little detail given in the incident reports. One said it was in a seat pocket, another it was in an overhead. Another that a 'leather' seat was scorched.

 

The power bank started smoking while it was inside carry-on baggage in the overhead.

 

The carry-on bag was removed from the overhead.

 

The hot power bank was removed from the carry-on bag.

 

The hot power bank was placed on the seat before AirAsia flight crew placed it in the Li-ion battery fire containment bag that's required by all airlines.

 

AirAsia has leather seats, not 'leather' seats.

 

Next?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

 

The power bank started smoking while it was inside carry-on baggage in the overhead.

 

The carry-on bag was removed from the overhead.

 

The hot power bank was removed from the carry-on bag.

 

The hot power bank was placed on the seat before AirAsia flight crew placed it in the Li-ion battery fire containment bag that's required by all airlines.

 

AirAsia has leather seats, not 'leather' seats.

 

Next?

Thank you NanLaew, for the full explanation.

I am surprised that there are leather upholstered seats on commercial airliners. I thought they would be impractical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Thank you NanLaew, for the full explanation.

I am surprised that there are leather upholstered seats on commercial airliners. I thought they would be impractical.

 

From what I understand, they are more durable for the short-flight, higher-cycle of the LCC aircraft and easier for cabin crew to clean during the fast turnarounds as LCC's don't contract cleaning crews outside their hub airports.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...