Air conditioning acclimate

I was going on to mention the standstill fan ....the ceiling fans are not the best for that heat which is a moist damp tropical ( other words to describe) in the Philippines

I found the Philippines heat much different from the Thailand heat and the Australian heat which is a very dry burning heat 

Such as I may say that I may consider retirement to north Philippines such as Baguio or north Thailand such as Chiang mai or further north where one may have a different experiment of heat 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Is it possible to get used to living without Air conditioner?

My house gets hot and stays hot, I must use AC.

I have a condo, faces east, shaded by palm trees, ground floor, pool access. 

I rarely use AC, it's like a cave, stays cool all day and you think COOL, balcony looks over swimming pool.

A few weeks of the year I use the AC for a couple of hours a day in between my swimming pool dips. 

I started using the fan now the hot weather has come back. 

I get good breeze off the sea coming through the condo but at around 5pm it starts heating up, probably the heated bricks of the condo by the sun during the day, AC isn't essential but if i didn't use it at least in bursts I'd be sweating during the night sometimes

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I get good breeze off the sea coming through the condo but at around 5pm it starts heating up, probably the heated bricks of the condo by the sun during the day, AC isn't essential but if i didn't use it at least in bursts I'd be sweating during the night sometimes

I need to give you advice I'm sorry but you really need to "train" yourself not to turn it on !

Get a feel for the heat ,let your body acclimatise to the heat 

One thing I did , and I'm not saying you should,but every Friday I went to that markets in Soi Bukhao and purposely stood under those tarpaulins for hours sweating like a horse 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

Your can't practice for the heat in Australia.

I'm Australian, and every time I step off a plane in Thailand I melt, and wanna go back to Australia.

My wife is Thai, and every time she steps off a plane in Australia she melts, and wants to go back to Thailand.

Just go to Australia and acclimatise.

1 minute ago, sipi said:

Your can't practice for the heat in Australia.

I'm Australian, and every time I step off a plane in Thailand I melt, and wanna go back to Australia.

My wife is Thai, and every time she steps off a plane in Australia she melts, and wants to go back to Thailand.

Just go to Australia and acclimatise.

Yes very interesting advice , but we must be "versatile" in heat training , putting our bodies thru different types of heat .

I do wonder and only those with academic backgrounds would know and find it most interesting the difference in heats ,whether Africa and Asia are for example the same?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

is the pain worth it many scientists and intellectuals may ask ?

Being one of the intellectuals that do not often, if ever, ask this question that you thought we may ask, I have other questions:

a. What is your purpose in abstaining from the health benefits of using the AC?

b.  We know that using an AC can improve health in various ways.

c. Therefore, is it your intention to abstain from using AC for the purpose of harming your health?

Additionally, I purchased an AC for my bedroom.

The recommended AC capacity for my bedroom is a bit less than 18,000 BTU.

This is why I purchased a new AC with a maximum capacity of 24,000 BTU.

Why?

I know from the studies I have read that humans sleep better at temps below 21 degrees C.

I sleep, usually, at 19 degrees C.

But, sometimes, just for the fun of it, I set the temp at 16 degrees C, which is the lowest setting on my AC's remote control.

When I do this, I find it very difficult to get out of bed, from under the covers, in the middle of the night, or in the morning. Yet, I sleep better at temps between 20 and 16.

No need to take my word for it, but there are many validated sleep studies bandied about.

Just google a few.

I keep my other rooms at about 23 degrees C, during the day.

Why?

I enjoy going outside in the hot sun, during the Hot Season, the hotter the better, and 44 degrees C is a rarity that I enjoy, most.

But, when I return home, I prefer to enter a house that is really cool, around 22.

This is the way I like to live my life.

And, I am just so grateful that I am blessed with ACs that are powerful enough for me.

If I wanted to endure the "pain" of extreme heat, as you seem to enjoy, then I would head for India where the WET BULB TEMPS are so high that people die.

Also, your ambition is bound to fail.

The body gets stressed, significantly, when the WET BULB TEMPs rise above a certain level.

If you really want pain, then why not experiment with heat stroke, and see how you like it.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Very good points and I know you have a Doctorate in academia ,so if may address you as Doctor 

Doctor, But what are the health benefits of Air conditioning?

Isn't it better not to use it health wise leading to throat infection possible

The problem is this ,ONCE we get used to Air Conditioner we need it all the time !

The same people who made Coca Cola had a say in air conditioning I believed and it's becoming sadly ...addictive !

A addiction I refuse to be part of !!!

When you speak of the heat you are experiencing as being "pain", then how can this be beneficial in any way, even for good health?

Maybe you should read this from the Mayo Clinic?

image.png.06d80e5b1dca8a255d48a131691a0461.png

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/understanding-effects-of-heat-on-mental-health/

• Like 1

When I was living in Australia I moved to Canberra, the nights were always cool there. Before that we stayed at Bondi beach, through the open windows we welcomed the cool breeze from the sea.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes very interesting advice , but we must be "versatile" in heat training , putting our bodies thru different types of heat .

I do wonder and only those with academic backgrounds would know and find it most interesting the difference in heats ,whether Africa and Asia are for example the same?

Lol.

I just caught on.

The difference for me is, in Australia there's always a breeze. In the village there isn't a breath of fresh air.

Being a fridgy by trade I could probably rattle on about entropy and  enthalpy, but I can't be bothered.

57 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

When you speak of the heat you are experiencing as being "pain", then how can this be beneficial in any way, even for good health?

Maybe you should read this from the Mayo Clinic?

image.png.06d80e5b1dca8a255d48a131691a0461.png

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/understanding-effects-of-heat-on-mental-health/

Excellent academic article Doctor !

Yes I do believe that when heat spikes as said in the article that ROAD RAGE actually increases !

I always found it interesting in the Philippines the majority of young males without t shirts on compared to Thailand,and that's because the heat is far different!!!

Edited by georgegeorgia

3 minutes ago, sipi said:

Lol.

I just caught on.

The difference for me is, in Australia there's always a breeze. In the village there isn't a breath of fresh air.

Being a fridgy by trade I could probably rattle on about entropy and  enthalpy, but I can't be bothered.

A fridgy by trade , does anyone get their fridge fixed nowadays?

I remember my kitchen fridge breaking down and cheaper to buy a new one !

But anyway ...we are getting off the point of the discussion mentioning about fridges and how you were a fridge mechanic when it's about air conditioning!!!

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

A fridgy by trade , does anyone get their fridge fixed nowadays?

I remember my kitchen fridge breaking down and cheaper to buy a new one !

But anyway ...we are getting off the point of the discussion mentioning about fridges and how you were a fridge mechanic when it's about air conditioning!!!

Lol.

I caught onto that one also. You need a better bait.

Air conditioning is a form of refrigeration. In my industry you can't just throw away a $200 000 compressor and get a new one. They get fixed.

And there's no such thing as cold, I'll leave it at that.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Excellent academic article Doctor !

Yes I do believe that when heat spikes as said in the article that ROAD RAGE actually increases !

I always found it interesting in the Philippines the majority of young males without t shirts on compared to Thailand,and that's because the heat is far different!!!

My advice to you:

Don't go out in the noon-day sun.

If you're serious...

Google "the psychometric properties of air" and download "the principles of refrigeration by Roy J Dossat".

You'll find all your answers there, and it'll keep you busy for the next 3 years.

17 minutes ago, sipi said:

If you're serious...

Google "the psychometric properties of air" and download "the principles of refrigeration by Roy J Dossat".

You'll find all your answers there, and it'll keep you busy for the next 3 years.

Yes very interesting articles 

The psychometric of air 

I think Doctor Gamma will read it in its entirety 

I have downloaded it and I think everyone here should also if they want interesting subjects to read about ,thankyou again Sipi 

• Thanks 1

But I'm not versed at all on the effect of heat on the body. Other than when I'm hot I cool down and vice versa.

That's probably another totally different subject, if only we had a doctor onboard.

Edited by sipi
Reason for edit. I spelt "hot" wrong.

10 minutes ago, sipi said:

But I'm not versed at all on the effect of heat on the body. Other than when I'm hot I cool down and vice versa.

That's probably another totally different subject, if only we had a doctor onboard.

We have our very own Dr Gamma Globulin here !!!

I'm sure he is quietly reading those riveting  articles you mentioned as is most readers on here 

*The Psychometrics of air " by Roy J Dossat 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

We have our very own Dr Gamma Globulin here !!!

I'm sure he is quietly reading those interesting articles you mentioned as is most readers on here 

*The Psychometrics of air " by Roy J Dossat 

I think it's available in 12 different languages, and braille.

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

When I was living in Australia  moved to Canberra, the nights were always cool there. Before that we stayed at Bondi beach, through the open windows we welcomed the cool breeze from the sea.

May I ask if you intend to catch up with the "Psychometrics of air " articles ?

This is a result of not having kids to think about, or maybe just survival to worry about. They come up with absurd things to occupy their time. GG take more OT is my recommendation.

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I prefer if only people of "academic" background replied to my posts 

I have nothing against the low educated on here but this is a very important and high intelligence subject 

Really? No sweat.😄

56 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

This is a result of not having kids to think about, or maybe just survival to worry about. They come up with absurd things to occupy their time. GG take more OT is my recommendation.

So ....I take it you wont

be downloading the "Psychometrics of Air" ???😳

• Haha 1