What happens if,or when, I die in Thailand?

JohnOFphon

5 hours ago, Roo Island said:

My wife had power of attorney for my mother's bank account. Even with that, it was difficult to get the money out after she died, which she obviously didn't tell them that she had! Luckily, she withdrew all the money.

That's not what POAs are for, they cease on the death of the donor so, after you mother's death, there was no POA.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bubblegum said:

You can make her co-signature of the bank accounts. This is not a joint account but gives her the right to move money.

Being a signatory on someone else's account does not give that person the right to make transactions after the death of the account holder. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

Anyway, I have shown her all she needs to know on how to move my money online. I mean from my accounts to hers,,,,if I die.

Weather it is legal or not, moving your money. nobody informs Thai banks you have died, for at least 6 months if ever. I know that from personal experience when my mate died. 

• Thanks 1

Wills are easy to do in Thailand, once you know the rules on what is required. I paid big money from a law firm for my first Will, but the later revisions I did them all myself with the help of a Thai speaking friend, using the same format as the first.

1. It doesn't need to registered with the local Ampher office, despite many people doing that. Just keep it in a place where everyone can find it.

2. Needs to be signed by 2 Witnesses

3. Need to designate an Executor in the Will. That could be Thai person or foreigner.

4. It will need to go to probate court, so the court will recognize your Executor and give them authority to release the bank funds.

5. The Will must be in Thai language. You can include English but the court will not recognize the English part. That is for you and your foreign friends. One can use the many translation services around to get it correctly translated. 

6. Your Thailand Will only covers assets in Thailand. You need a separate Will for anything in your home country.

If you do decide to use law firm, I STRONGLY recommend you have the translation reviewed by a few more parties. I found many translation errors in mine that was done by a reputable law firm.

I might have missed a few things. But that is basically it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, JohnOFphon said:

I remember reading something about this a while back, but search didn't help.

I have some heart issues that might, or could be, fatal. 

I have bank accounts in bkk bank and one in Kbank. One account in bkk bank is for immigration purpose, no ATM card. 

I don't own anything here and the bank accounts are all in my name only. Balance around 2 million.

I have a live in girlfriend that has been with me for over a year. I trust her....famous last words I know..haha

Anyway, I have shown her all she needs to know on how to move my money online. I mean from my accounts to hers,,,,if I die.

The rental agent here knows of my visits to the hospital this month, and I told her why I was going.

Now, she has told my girlfriend that if I die, she can not transfer money out of my accounts...legally.

Told her the police would arrest her and make her return the money to the bank....I say BS...but????

I don't have a will here, but I think we will see if we can remedy that. 

Anyone have knowledge or experience that would be useful?

Thank you.

When my wife died suddenly, I transferred the money from her account to mine.

I mentioned this to a lawyer and asked if it was wrong.

He said no problem. Everyone does it.

The rental agent is fear mongering.

• Thanks 1