What do they mean by 'copy'

A copy can be Xerox or computer generated.  There is no notary service in Thai law.  If they ask for certified they want you to sign the copy.

Above was general.  But will add that for birth certificate they could require you to present what is called a certified copy which is what a state or government issues with a raised seal and that would probably be a photo copy.  But what they would keep would be a normal copy of that.

I attempted to try to call the Consulate in Singapore. I have an AIS mobile. The international code is 011, then the number; but when I dial, all I get is Bangkok because of the "01" at the begining ... maybe, I'll try ftom an international call outfit ... AIS was useless in providing assistance!

If still no luck on the phone (or fax), I'll bring both types: xerox copy & a 'certified' copy. I'm going to see a Thai lawyer (speaks English) later today/tomorrow to get the birth certificate tranlated into English for the American Embassy (fee 500 Baht ...legal tranlation) ... hopefully, he can also take care of a 'legal' copy ... and, I will report back to let you know what he says about a 'copy' for a Visa application ... of course this is Thailand, and who knows if what he says will be correct ?

• 3 weeks later...

I hope some folks might find this useful.

Roger

International Calls Simplified:

Calls are made up of 4 parts:

a. – the code to dial out of the Country you are in.

b. – the code to dial into the Country you are phoning

c. – the  City or Area or Mobile Code

d. – the Number you wish to contact

a – the code to dial out of a Country

is often just 00 in many countries

but different countries use different codes.

To dial out of USA it is 011

Normally this number is the same anywhere

within that country.

BUT that is NOT the case in Thailand.

From most phones to most countries the

External Code from Thailand is 001

But if you are phoning from the International

Call Centre at the GPO it is 002

And if you are phoning to some of Thailands neighbouring Countries there are special external codes for them.

On letter Heads / Visiting Cards the external code is indicated by a + sign at the beginning of phone numbers, because it is different in various Countries.

b. – the code for dialling into any Country is always the same no matter where you are. – 1 for USA & Canada, 44 for UK, 66 for Thailand, 91 for India

c. – City / Area / Mobile Codes start with a Zero – this Zero is used only within the home Country – it must NOT be used in an International call.