License plate in another province

I bought a new bike in BKK 3 months ago. This weekend the license plate fell off somewhere on the highway to Kolat. Kawasaki had noted that the plate was a little bent  but they nor I did connect that vibrations and wind take their toll. All is great with the bike but the plate is only fastened with two screws. Must have a stable board behind the plate and an extra screw. (Or maybe these flippers that the bike gangsters use 😆 -  better not)

I got a document from police. Kawasaki Pattaya are also good but do nothing. I and hotel must continue contacting land transport and Kawasaki BKK.

What kind of problems can you expect having a bike registered in Bangkok-Mongkol?

Will I have to go to BKK Land Transport to get a  new plate and pay tax? Can I move registration to Pattaya? Green book is on me in Pattaya.

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Sad 1

police report no longer required, you can turn up to DLT to get new one made, but if the plate was from Bangkok, it has to be at Bangkok DLT, 

can't transfer to Chonburi before it is in order, so you can't just go to Pattaya DLT to get replacement or to 'move' to Chonburi 

I put down what DLT just told me so I remember and could maybe be of use to others.

Bring passport, visa and green book to this place to get new numberplate. Bike is not needed and she didn't mention the document I got from police. (But it might be helpful if police pulls me over for not having a plate?)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/eYfFKR8gGw2tuzd98 (bike registered in BKK)

To transfer registration, passport, visa, green book and certificate of residency are needed. Can not transfer to Pattaya DLT which is too small office. Can transfer to Chonburi office. But maybe not worth the trouble since I can pay tax in Pattaya with Bangkok registration.

So if Kawasaki Bangkok can not fix it, I must go to BKK.

Edited by thailandsgreat

On 2/28/2024 at 11:31 AM, VocalNeal said:

It happens a lot. Happened to a mate of mine recently.

Go to the nearest police station and report the loss. (Procedural). They may not even be interested but it is procedural.

Then upon return home go to your local DLT and apply for a new plate. Which will probably require an inspection at a vehicle inspection station as you are changing provinces.

And a LoR or yellow house book/pink card to change province and get new plate, can take days for the new plate to be made.

I see you figured out that you can pay tax and insurance anywhere, not related to BKK registration, even the green book doesn't have to be in your name for that...

Not worth transferring your registration either, green book is in your name anyway - and it cost 900 baht I think, just get a replacement plate, easier and cheaper.

But I think you need to go to BKK DLT for that, did Pattaya or Chonburi DLT said they can do it ..? That's good if they can... 

Edited by Agusts

Posted (edited)

Kawasaki Bangkok could not fix this, I will have to go to Bangkok DLT myself.

Kawasaki originally sent me a plastic plate which I asked a bike shop to put on. This may be ok for a scooter. But it was apparently not good enough for a motorcycle. Vibrations and wind wore it down.

So at DLT I will ask if it is possible to get a metal plate like I have seen on some bikes. If I just get another plastic plate, I must find a  better way to affix it.

Any advice on this appreciated.

Otherwise Kawasaki has been good to deal with. But this will take a little time to fix.

Edited by thailandsgreat

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Two rides to DLT in Bangkok got me a new plate. B 105. There is only one type of plate but the frame should be metal and the Kawi guys put an extra bolt in it.

I never got a new tax receipt. A couple of days ago a friendly police officer at a checkpoint asked me to make a copy of the tax receipt to carry along.

At DLT Pattaya they said  no problem with Bangkok registration. Just bring green book. When I came back with green book they filled out everything. But when all was ready for the queue to process, another DLT officer said it was not possible. I had to go to Bangkok or pay B 1500 to DLT Pattaya to do this for me.

So I went to police and they said they would accept my photo of plate and tax receipt if I laminated it. So I laminated it and will pay next year's tax as soon as possible.

Police said DLT Pattaya should do this with Bangkok plate. But they didn't.

So my impression is DLT Pattaya should issue a copy of a lost tax receipt for a Bangkok registration. But in my case they tried to take me for B 1500. Is that correct?

Edited by thailandsgreat

• 4 weeks later...

I moved registration to Chonburi. That was smooth.  But three visits needed

1. Application: Green book, cert. of residency, passport, visa; pay B. 25

2. inspection, bikes are allowed to jump the queue for gate 4, I believe the frame ID number was most important 

3. exchange Bangkok plate for Chonburi plate

They also issued a new tax receipt, the old one that fell off with the original plate was not required

80 km to Chonburi DLT from Pattaya,  more comfortable in a day compared to Bangkok. If I ever buy bike in another province again, the first thing I'll do will be to move registration here.

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Thumbs Up 1