Aerial/booster to watch CH7 (not cable/satellite)

scottiejohn

Her indoors wants to watch Thai TV CH7 but we do not have/want cable or satellite solutions!

Does anyone have some advice as regarding Window ledge/indoor aerial or boosters etc to just get CH7.   Or even a WIFI/internet/smartphone (free, I am Scottish) solution.

I have looked on Lazada but get very confused with different Aerial/booster specs like "Orbit D, QID, D7A, D2A D9A & D6E etc!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Our building is in central CM and faces south if that helps!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Do you have a smart tv?

If so you can download AIS Play app from Play store this will give all Thai free to air channels when you choose TV Live from the drop down menu.

Of course you will need internet access 

Edited by norbra
  • Thanks 1

Have you checked out the DSTV coverage app, it's in the Thai Google Playstore, that should tell you how big an antenna you need and which way to point it, get all the DSTV free-to-air stuff.

• Thanks 1

You can buy suitable aerials at Amorn , not expensive easy to install

just plug it in and move it around till you get good picture ,think ours

is pointed in eastern direction Chiang Mai. if your TV does not have

the box installed ,you will have to buy one ,also Amorn ...

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, norbra said:

Do you have a smart tv?

If so you can download AIS Play app from Play store this will give all Thai free to air channels when you choose TV Live from the drop down menu.

Of course you will need internet access 

I don't have a smart TV but I can connect my computer to my TV via HDMI and have access to Wi-Fi!

I will give that option a look at but it is not my number one solution as I would prefer to keep the computer out of the loop but as a last resort it could solve the problem. 

Thanks!

Edited by scottiejohn
spelling
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Have you checked out the DSTV coverage app, it's in the Thai Google Playstore, that should tell you how big an antenna you need and which way to point it, get all the DSTV free-to-air stuff.

Thanks.

Will a have look and respond idc!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

You can buy suitable aerials at Amorn , not expensive easy to install

just plug it in and move it around till you get good picture ,think ours

is pointed in eastern direction Chiang Mai. if your TV does not have

the box installed ,you will have to buy one ,also Amorn ...

regards Worgeordie

That is part of the problem!

I went to Amorn yesterday expecting to walk out with the gear I needed but even with a Thai (her indoors) with me but between them they did not know the answers!

Hence my pleading for info here where I hopefully can go to Amorn/Lazada/ etc with a shopping list or maybe some very helpful poster provides another software solution.

@Crossy has already provided one such solution which I will look at.

Edited by scottiejohn

43 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Thanks. 

They appear to have some laptop options which I will also look into.

I will post my results as I get them.

Thanks to all so far!

21 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

just plug it in and move it around till you get good picture

Not quite that simple with a digital signal as there needs to be a signal for the receiver to lock onto before a picture is displayed.

There is an antenna pointer direction finder and frequency specs for any location in Thailand

somewhere on this website

https://digital.nbtc.go.th/

I'll post proper url when back on my computer.

There may also be a need for

3/4/5 G mobile phone signal filter at the antenna depending on the frequency used in your location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NotEinstein said:

Lots of choice on shopee:

That is my problem!

I do not understand the "Lots of choices available", hence my asking for help to identify which choices meet my requirement!

To put it in simple terms I don't really understand the phrase "Assuming your TV isn't digital - an analogue" wrt my problem.

Please all of you are discussing this with myself, who is a self confessed troglodyte when it comes to Thailand and TV reception out with cable/satellite!

Please bear with me and a technical description, preferably in English of what to ask for would be greatly appreciated!

I believe that a "smart TV' can connect to the internet itself without other connections just like a laptop! If so my TV is NOT a Smart TV.  It has HDMI (2 sockets) USB and the standard RCA video/Audio type inputs if that helps.

When I get home I will see if I can find it's specs and post them.

Thank you all for your patience with me!

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

That is my problem!

I do not understand the "Lots of choices available", hence my asking for help to identify which choices meet my requirement!

To put it in simple terms I don't really understand the phrase "Assuming your TV isn't digital - an analogue" wrt my problem.

Please all of you are discussing this with myself, who is a self confessed troglodyte when it comes to Thailand and TV reception out with cable/satellite!

Please bear with me and a technical description, preferably in English of what to ask for would be greatly appreciated!

I believe that a "smart TV' can connect to the internet itself without other connections just like a laptop! If so my TV is NOT a Smart TV.  It has HDMI (2 sockets) USB and the standard RCA video/Audio type inputs if that helps.

When I get home I will see if I can find it's specs and post them.

Thank you all for your patience with me!

Did you use to watch TV on it before the analogue signals were turned off a few years back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

I don't have a smart TV but I can connect my computer to my TV via HDMI and have access to Wi-Fi!

I will give that option a look at but it is not my number one solution as I would prefer to keep the computer out of the loop but as a last resort it could solve the problem. 

Thanks!

Last resort load AIS PLAY on your computer follow previous information.

You can have CH 7 today.

If you are comfortable with this format you could buy a simple Android box,install AISPlay from Play station,connect to your network with wifi.

For ease of use you can attach a wireless mouse or wireless keyboard.

There are other apps that you can load to watch movies

Screenshot_20240229_183630.jpg

Edited by norbra
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, norbra said:

Last resort load AIS PLAY on your computer follow previous information.

You can have CH 7 today.

Thanks!

Will look into that!

I am not really into android boxes etc but thanks for the option!

33 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

Did you use to watch TV on it before the analogue signals were turned off a few years back?

Yes I switched to something like this which was taped to my window and it worked but it got blown away recently and I have no picture/specs of the actual aerial I had.

Amori had at least 6 different types of areal but nobody seemed to know which one did what! 

I saw three that looked identical, even down to the colours but the "salesman" said they were for different system!!

This is similar but seems much bigger and not the same as the one I had;

61oPsCFQehL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

6 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Yes I switched to something like this which was taped to my window and it worked but it got blown away recently and I have no picture/specs of the actual aerial I had.

Amori had at least 6 different types of areal but nobody seemed to know which one did what! 

I saw three that looked identical, even down to the colours but the "salesman" said they were for different system!!

This is similar but seems much bigger and not the same as the one I had;

61oPsCFQehL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

To clarify, you no longer could watch terrestrial TV when the analogue signals were turned off 1st January 2018, or you have been able to watch TV, on what would be a digital TV, since then until your aerial exited stage left recently?

We had a router-sized box mounted on the side of our house pointed in a specific direction. It connects via standard coax to a signal booster box under the stairs, then via coax to each room with a TV. We setup the TVs to auto-detect the channels and now we can use the TV remote to change channels. Something like 36 total channels. Previously we used a satellite dish with a separate tuner and remote, which was clunky. And I feel this digital signal is far clearer than what we got off the satellite. I'd post a photo of the box but it's dark out. I actually have no idea what this box is called, but it works perfectly.

5 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

To clarify, you no longer could watch terrestrial TV when the analogue signals were turned off 1st January 2018, or you have been able to watch TV, on what would be a digital TV, since then until your aerial exited stage left recently?

Thanks!

I know that when they turned off whatever it was back in 2018 we bought a new aerial and bits and pieces.  I now know, thanks to you that I can ignore all reference to analogue.  Do you happen to know what the aerial specs I mentioned earlier mean?

I have looked on Lazada and google but get very confused with different Aerial/booster specs like "Orbit D, QID, D7A, D2A D9A & D6E etc!

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Thanks!

I know that when they turned off whatever it was back in 2018 we bought a new aerial and bits and pieces.  I now know, thanks to you that I can ignore all reference to analogue.  Do you happen to know what the aerial specs I mentioned earlier mean?

I have looked on Lazada and google but get very confused with different Aerial/booster specs like "Orbit D, QID, D7A, D2A D9A & D6E etc!

So you just need a replacement aerial.

I just bought the cheapest I found on shopee for a TV that is in a room shielded by 2-storey building to it's north and it works well.

https://shopee.co.th/เสาดิจิตอลก้างปลา-5E-Thaisat-i.268591061.4441773633?sp_atk=f7265be7-4718-422e-9059-92e799b80db5&xptdk=f7265be7-4718-422e-9059-92e799b80db5

I have previously re-used old analogue aerials for digital TVs and they worked fine, but this room's position needed a 'proper' one.....

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Do you happen to know what the aerial specs I mentioned earlier mean?

I had good results with this one D15E from Amorn (Pattaya) until they changed the frequencies in my area after the 600mhz sell off then there was interference and lucky for me building management installed an even "bigger" antenna and filter.

D15E.thumb.jpg.947fbaf35963340e5844c19ce52904d3.jpg

2 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

So you just need a replacement aerial.

I just bought the cheapest I found on shopee for a TV that is in a room shielded by 2-storey building to it's north and it works well.

https://shopee.co.th/เสาดิจิตอลก้างปลา-5E-Thaisat-i.268591061.4441773633?sp_atk=f7265be7-4718-422e-9059-92e799b80db5&xptdk=f7265be7-4718-422e-9059-92e799b80db5

I have previously re-used old analogue aerials for digital TVs and they worked fine, but this room's position needed a 'proper' one.....

That looks similar to what I had but what does "This piece will not have an RG6 antenna ***"" as the link states"

I bought something that "looks" like that two days ago but all I get is picture, no sound, so I went to Amori, see above, and they could not help!

PS; I get sound out of the HDMI & USB inputs from non TV sources so I do not believe it is a TV sound problem more an input problem!

PPS; I have also reset the TV sound settings to factory with no result! 

8 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

That looks similar to what I had but what does "This piece will not have an RG6 antenna ***"" as the link states"

I bought something that "looks" like that two days ago but all I get is picture, no sound, so I went to Amori, see above, and they could not help!

PS; I get sound out of the HDMI & USB inputs from non TV sources so I do not believe it is a TV sound problem more an input problem!

PPS; I have also reset the TV sound settings to factory with no result! 

Have you tried re-tuning the stations with the 'no sound' aerial attached?

What signal strength levels are shown?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

Thanks for the suggestion but it will not let me retune even though I get a moving picture the system does not show "broadcast tuning" as being available! The signal with this latest  (2/3 days) aerial does not seem to be the correct one.  I am happy that this is an aerial problem and not a TV problem!

24 minutes ago, NotEinstein said:

I will take a photo of the tuning screen tomorrow and post it for your advice!

Thanks in advance!

37 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I assume you get ch7 in CM?

Err  no it's a bit too far away for my antenna although I can get signals from Bangkok 160 KM's away from my location south of Pattaya.

• Haha 1