Aerial/booster to watch CH7 (not cable/satellite)

scottiejohn

You'll need a small digital aerial which can be bought at Amorn. In Chiang Mai the transmitting aerials are on the upper side of Doi Suthep which is where you point your aerial. The signal is normally good providing you don't have any trees immediately in the way!

Is CH7 the Army channel 7? According to this table, Army CH 7 transmits on E7, which is about 174 MHz (high VHF). Note that if this info is correct, you do not want to use a (small) UHF antenna but will need an antenna suitable for high VHF, (in Amorn, the package should have 'UHF' or 'VHF' marked on it. Also note that there is also low VHF which you don't want.  Basically, if it mentions frequencies in the 174-210 MHz range, then that should be what you need. The 3rd column indicates the general location of the TV transmitter.

CM.jpg.057087449c574fd075a98af831bd499a.jpg

Edited by simon43
  • Thanks 1

Smart TVs are not that expensive

16 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I don't have a smart TV but I can connect my computer to my TV via HDMI and have access to Wi-Fi!

I will give that option a look at but it is not my number one solution as I would prefer to keep the computer out of the loop but as a last resort it could solve the problem. 

Thanks!

Why not just buy a smart TV ? 32" from a from around 2k baht job done. no extra cables needed.

23 minutes ago, simon43 said:

ccording to this table, Army CH 7 transmits on E7, which is about 174 MHz (high VHF). Note that if this info is correct,

I think that info may have been correct back in the 1990's

now they use the 500-800-ish MHZ range.

power level,frequencies and compass pointing for all the Thai TV transmitters.

https://dttservicearea.nbtc.go.th/webapp

Chaingmai in the screenshot below.

Screenshot_2024-03-01DTTServiceArea.png.9e78734c3d23f5790fca635b3689df9a.png

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Thanks!

I have a spec at last!

I assume you get ch7 in CM?

If you live close to the city I am sure you will have DVB-T2 signal. That's the successor of analogue TV signal. Introduced since years and analogue switched off.

What johng shows is the right thing.

But you might be successful with smaller/simpler antenna.

Then you additionally need a cheap set-top box.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

smart TV ? 32" from a from around 2k baht

a 32inch smart tv for 2000baht  can you please point me in the direction of this bargain.

I believe that @scottiejohn has a TV with built in digital tuner he just needs a suitable old school antenna pointing at the strongest signal

to receive the free to air Thai digital DVB-T2 signals in all their glory

some are HD and some have dual soundtracks

(often original soundtrack so a Holywood film is in English  but a Chinese film would be in Chinese etc) 

some stations have subtitles but I found then to be miniscule on screen maybe my setup.

I have not found any radio stations again my be my setup 

I'd be interested to know if someone can get radio.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, johng said:

a 32inch smart tv for 2000baht  can you please point me in the direction of this bargain.

I believe that @scottiejohn has a TV with built in digital tuner he just needs a suitable old school antenna pointing at the strongest signal

to receive the free to air Thai digital DVB-T2 signals in all their glory

some are HD and some have dual soundtracks

(often original soundtrack so a Holywood film is in English  but a Chinese film would be in Chinese etc) 

some stations have subtitles but I found then to be miniscule on screen maybe my setup.

I have not found any radio stations again my be my setup 

I'd be interested to know if someone can get radio.

CH 7 is available on YouTube. and a lot of Thai Movies/soaps. just saying. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

LAZADA  and I did edit FROM 2k in actual fact the cheapest is 1,149b

Edited by brianthainess

As you already have an aerial that I know works with many, probably all, of the DVB-T2 set top boxes available, maybe just get one for about 400 baht, as it seems your TV digital receiver is being 'fussy'. I remember that I couldn't get an Aconatic digital TV to work, so attached one of these boxes to the aerial instead. You just plug it in to an HDMI port.

IMG_4473.thumb.jpg.be5e51254ee9f6db62f2f4b16988830e.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, norbra said:

Do you have a smart tv?

If so you can download AIS Play app from Play store this will give all Thai free to air channels when you choose TV Live from the drop down menu.

Of course you will need internet access 

How do I access AIS? I downloaded the app on my smart tv but then it asks me to login with OTP or as a guest. The guest login only allows a time limited preview.

Thanks to everyone for their on topic responses and advice.

Had a liquid lunch with some of the Wife's family where it transpired some nephew or other works for Siam TV in the big Store in CM.

End result the problem is now firmly in his hands and promises it will be resolved this evening.

It appears I bought the wrong replacement aerial even though it looked identical to the one that blew away.

This being Thailand I am passing the problem over to him and will stay out of the loop.

Yet again a big thanks to all who responded.

Mods you can close this if you wish!