Thailand’s hotels produce the most greenhouse gas in Asia

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-02-29-112712.jpg

According to KResearch’s latest findings, Thai hotels are the leading culprits in greenhouse gas emissions, emitting a whopping 0.064 tonnes of carbon per guest each night, significantly higher than the regional and global averages of 0.057 and 0.019 tonnes respectively.

Urging the government to intervene, KResearch emphasised the crucial role of sustainable practices in curbing this environmental menace.

“While hotels worldwide are embracing eco-friendly initiatives, Thailand’s hospitality sector seems to lag.

“With the tourism industry being a major contributor to global emissions, it’s imperative for hotels to adopt green practices.”

The allure of international eco-certifications like Green Key and Green Globe spurred a race among hotels to woo environmentally-conscious travellers. Yet, despite the availability of modern technologies facilitating sustainability efforts, many Thai establishments are still grappling with measurement systems for emissions and lagging in sustainability reporting.

“While some larger hotel chains are leading the charge towards sustainability, smaller operators face hurdles due to budget constraints and a lack of awareness.”

Survey results revealed a mixed bag of efforts, with over half of Thai operators implementing eco-friendly changes such as energy-saving measures and waste recycling. However, budget limitations hinder progress for many, with only a fraction planning significant overhauls soon, reported The Nation.

In light of these challenges, KResearch called upon the government to step up its efforts, advocating for educational campaigns and incentives to propel the industry towards greener pastures. Tax breaks and investment promotions were touted as potential game-changers to incentivise sustainability initiatives.

In related news, Chiang Mai has been blanketed by worsening haze, catapulting it to the top of the list of the world’s ten most polluted cities. The thick smog is a direct consequence of forest fires that have been burning unabated for approximately two weeks. The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA) detected 1,420 hotspots on Monday alone.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Caption: Photo courtesy of The Nation

Source: The Thaiger 2024-02-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I think they might mean "the most greenhouse gas of hotels in asia  

they say "  0.064 tonnes of carbon per guest each night," which is 64 kg

yet I know that an airplane produces 90 kg CO2 per passenger per hour

siotime that bt 24 ..........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of course all the garbage dumps and burning of crops or plastic all over has nothing to do with polluting.

But one can agree that there is lot's of wasting in such hotels and mainly in house developpments where precious ressources like water are openly wasted  for excessive watering of gardens,  just to overcharge the house owners with higher water bills, as often they are paid to the developpment managers who get a cut.

Edited by Middle Aged Grouch
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to KResearch’s latest findings, Thai hotels are the leading culprits in greenhouse gas emissions, emitting a whopping 0.064 tonnes of carbon per guest each night, significantly higher than the regional and global averages of 0.057 and 0.019 tonnes respectively.

Bloody tourists... 

I have stayed in about 10 different hotels in Bangkok over the past 6 or so years. Normally the better hotels, averaging 2500 Thb a night and higher.

Each one has had a super heavy blanket on the bed, not offering anything lighter. So, the AC has to be on full blast to be even slightly comfortable.

I have always left that information as part of my feedback for the hotels, but I have seen it never changes a thing.

Not a good use of their carbon budget.
Maybe I need to try cheaper hotels.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zhounan said:

They will make us give up everything, and it still won't be enough. They will take all the blood out of us, and they will say "it's not enough, we have to sacrifice more*.

The causes of climate change are geoastronomical and have been throughout human history.

They are gastronomical indeed, but I won't give up a good steak either. Please don't tell my sister.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

I think they might mean "the most greenhouse gas of hotels in asia  

they say "  0.064 tonnes of carbon per guest each night," which is 64 kg

yet I know that an airplane produces 90 kg CO2 per passenger per hour

siotime that bt 24 ..........

One has nothing to do with the other though and many (most?) guests are Thais. So, what are you saying here?

On 3/1/2024 at 6:19 PM, Mr Meeseeks said:

The short time hotels I often used in Bangkok only had towels and a vinyl mattress with pillows. Possibly a very thin sheet on the bed as well. 

They also had a gynaecologist chair, but I never slept on those. 

You should try it..  legs up, prostate examination 😆IYKYK