Some locals seem increasingly concerned about the type of Visa I am on.

1 minute ago, noobexpat said:

I've been asked quite a few times, but then its pretty obvious i look under 50. 

It’s none of their business what visa we are on.

bob.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, gargamon said:

They're looking for a reason to get you kicked out of Thailand. What did you do? Annoy them with useless drivel? 

They can look as much as they like but sadly for them it’s a case of nothing to see here.

everything is above board with me. 

There are zero flies on bob smith.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Over the last few days I have been asked by a few locals what kind of visa I have, given that I can speak Thai and have been here a long time.

it left me with quite a weird feeling.

What business is it of theirs what visa I am on?

when you see a foreigner in the UK, USA or wherever that can speak English, do you ask them what visa they have?

do you even care?

It seems that many Thais don’t like the fact that people can speak their language and stay here long term,

their line of questioning seems to be rather investigative, trying to figure out if one is on overstay.

I personally think the Chinafication of Thailand is now almost complete,

there are cctv cameras on every corner and now there are members of the public doing the states work.

It is becoming increasingly Orwellian out there.

bob.

Well, leave then, if you don't like it. Stop your whining and move somewhere that suits your delicate sensibilities. The most surveilled country is in fact the UK with most camera per head of population, although I read that some years ago and it might have changed. For what it is worth, there seem tome to be many fewer cameras here compared to the UK. Anyway, I quite like the cameras, I have many at my homes. 

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, retarius said:

Well, leave then, if you don't like it. Stop your whining and move somewhere that suits your delicate sensibilities. The most surveilled country is in fact the UK with most camera per head of population, although I read that some years ago and it might have changed. For what it is worth, there seem tome to be many fewer cameras here compared to the UK. Anyway, I quite like the cameras, I have many at my homes. 

does my whining bother you?

bob.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Good  man , you  need  to play their stupid  games.🤣

I always play them at their own game.

That’s how I survive here.

It’s also how you eventually become a naturalized Thai.

bob.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I just tell them that I'm on a special VIP visa, issued by the Thai government for ex-SAS/Navy Seals etc.  And if they dare to gossip about this, then I will have to kill them....

Same visa as me!

No one's ever asked me, but I live in an unfashionable provincial backwater, on the fringes of a war zone.

Edited by Stocky