Some locals seem increasingly concerned about the type of Visa I am on.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Whatever you do, don't kick a lady sitting on your garden steps at your villa. 

I would NEVER kick another human for no reason EVER.

I would, however, tell them in their local language to get the eff off my property if they ever happened to be on it without permission.

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think I've ever encountered a local that knows we have to have a VISA. Sounds like you made this up Bob.

In 1.5 years i've been asked 4 or 5 times ...when i say i live here

Surprised how many people are saying they've never been asked this. Hasn't happened in a while (probably pre-Covid was the last time) but for many years this question seemed to come up pretty regularly. Some of it was idle curiosity, some of it may have been an indirect way of finding out how long before you'd be leaving, some of it may have been a subtle way of reminding you of your guest status, and maybe .00001% was someone looking for an extortion opportunity or looking to score points with the cops. Just joking about that last one.

During the "good guys in - bad guys out" Mao Zedong "see something/say something" reign of immigration terror I sometimes felt like I was being eye-balled like someone everyone knew was fresh out of prison, but thankfully that's completely died down and these days feeling totally at ease and welcomed pretty much wherever I go.

Edited by Gecko123

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

Over the last few days I have been asked by a few locals what kind of visa I have, given that I can speak Thai and have been here a long time.

it left me with quite a weird feeling.

What business is it of theirs what visa I am on?

when you see a foreigner in the UK, USA or wherever that can speak English, do you ask them what visa they have?

do you even care?

It seems that many Thais don’t like the fact that people can speak their language and stay here long term,

their line of questioning seems to be rather investigative, trying to figure out if one is on overstay.

I personally think the Chinafication of Thailand is now almost complete,

there are cctv cameras on every corner and now there are members of the public doing the states work.

It is becoming increasingly Orwellian out there.

bob.

"It is becoming increasingly Orwellian out there"

More likely it's just that your delusions have started to become paranoid.

Looking forward to your post saying that the "questioners" have started communicating to you via the plumbing system in you household.

Schizophrenia is not about "split personality"......it about delusions, paranoia, hallucinations and detachment from reality.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/schizophrenia/symptoms-causes/syc-20354443

Good luck.

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

There is no shortage of nosey busybodies in the west, its only to be expected that some of them find their way here,   Many of them can be heard waffling on about "yellow books"  or "pink ID cards"   They generally consider themselves to be a "better class" of expat than others, with some sort of enhanced status.  I think it may have a bit to do with their former occupations giving them delusions of grandeur.  Also a lot of people just  tend to get a weird as they enter old age and begin to realise that their perceived relevance is dwindling.  Their only comfort is conversing, ranting  and basically  virtue signalling  with other like minded individuals, particularly after happy hour

I would bet a months wages that most of them have zero Thai language skills despite living here for years,  the fact that they need to be accompanied by, and rely totally on,  their wives adds to their frustration

Weeeeeeeeeell, I have a yellow book and a pink ID card, my Thai lingo is abysmal,  even after living here many years, but I can assure you I am not one of the well off brigade and have no visions of grandeur.

As for weird, I have no idea about that, that is for others to decide, but I do have a singing voice that folk long to hear...........:guitar:...............😘.................🤭

• Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Weeeeeeeeeell, I have a yellow book and a pink ID card, my Thai lingo is abysmal,  even after living here many years, but I can assure you I am not one of the well off brigade and have no visions of grandeur.

As for weird, I have no idea about that, that is for others to decide, but I do have a singing voice that folk long to hear...........:guitar:...............😘.................🤭

Only one of the "look at me with my yellow book and pink card brigade" - lol, complete waste of time.....

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I would bet a months wages that most of them have zero Thai language skills despite living here for years,  the fact that they need to be accompanied by, and rely totally on,  their wives adds to their frustration

We're retired, why would we want to speak with Thais? Or any other foreigners for that matter.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can't say I speak with any Thais, even the ones trying to talk in English, I just say sorry, I can't understand, smile and walk away.

I try my best not to engage but sometimes it’s just impossible.

bob.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Only one of the "look at me with my yellow book and pink card brigade" - lol, complete waste of time.....

Weeeell, I suppose those who haven't the gumption to acquire either would say that, as they would probably have never seen a farangy's yellow book or ID card......🥴............🤭

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Weeeell, I suppose those who haven't the gumption to acquire either would say that, as they would probably have never seen a farangy's yellow book or ID card......🥴............🤭

Weeeeell, i suppose people with a brain realize that it's a complete waste of time.

You're obviously one of these farangy type that think it's some sort of right of passage having these, sad.

Reminds me of <deleted> packers that used to get a stiffy about all the passport stamps....

• Sad 1
  • Love It 2

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

We're retired, why would we want to speak with Thais? Or any other foreigners for that matter.

Each to their own, and I guess where one lives may have something to do with the way they feel about this,  I tend to avoid foreigners when I can, so if I couldn't converse with the Thais I would effectively become a recluse which is not something i have on my bucket list.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

Over the last few days I have been asked by a few locals what kind of visa I have, given that I can speak Thai and have been here a long time.

it left me with quite a weird feeling.

What business is it of theirs what visa I am on?

when you see a foreigner in the UK, USA or wherever that can speak English, do you ask them what visa they have?

do you even care?

It seems that many Thais don’t like the fact that people can speak their language and stay here long term,

their line of questioning seems to be rather investigative, trying to figure out if one is on overstay.

I personally think the Chinafication of Thailand is now almost complete,

there are cctv cameras on every corner and now there are members of the public doing the states work.

It is becoming increasingly Orwellian out there.

bob.

This makes me even more confused about how the locals think.  They don’t like foreigners who speak fluent Thai and live here a long time.  They also don’t like foreigners who can barely understand Thai and have lived here a long time.  

“Land of Smiles, the longer I stay the more confused I get”. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, connda said:

In the 17 years I've lived here, I've never had anyone but an Immigration official ask me what kind of visa I'm on. 

I never had an immigration officer ask me either, they seem to know what visa I have,  except at the airport when I first arrive

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Weeeeell, i suppose people with a brain realize that it's a complete waste of time.

You're obviously one of these farangy type that think it's some sort of right of passage having these, sad.

Reminds me of <deleted> packers that used to get a stiffy about all the passport stamps....

Like I said, it is those who do not have the gumption to get acquire one to make life easier regarding providing address details at no cost or travel, that will spout that sort of stuff. 😉

But you carry on, I am sure your posts on the subject amuse many here..🤭

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

This makes me even more confused about how the locals think.  They don’t like foreigners who speak fluent Thai and live here a long time.  They also don’t like foreigners who can barely understand Thai and have lived here a long time.  

Other than with  a few "bar girls" who have been contaminated with the "Farang roo mak mai dee" philosophy,  I have never experienced  anything like this. Sure some Thais don't particularly like me, but I am able to understand that their feelings towards me do not reflect their feelings towards all foreigners, The same way that I don't like certain Thais,  but there are plenty that I get on with just fine.  Same goes for all people I meet.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

I never had an immigration officer ask me either, they seem to know what visa I have,  except at the airport when I first arrive

Same for me here. In fact most Thais I've met don't even know about the different visa types available* for foreigners (why would they?), and don't particularly care, either.

*excluding anybody who has a financial interest in selling visa services.

Knowing the OPs posting history my best guess is that nobody Thai has ever asked him about his visa. or perhaps one person did recently and he invented some others to make his post sound a little (not much...) less snowflakey.

Edited by JayClay
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, scorecard said:

It's their country, they are entitled to have some details of who the gov't is allowing to stay in their country. 

It is not "their country" and with few exceptions they have zero entitlement to know anything.   We have no obligation to declare our visa status or show our papers, "on demand" to any member of the public, with few exceptions for example   checking into a hotel or for a flight.  It really is none of anybody's business    I would say that the overwhelming majority of Thais have absolutely no Idea of visa requirements, Most don't even understand the purpose of a passport.   in the same way that I have no idea about visa regulations in the UK ( if there are any these days)   why would I , unless I was thinking of taking the mrs over there, which I am not 

Do, or did,  you make a habit of checking foreigners documents in your home country, ?   I doubt it ,  but there again there are a few on here who may well do things like that, are you one of those interfering busybody types ?  

Edited by Bday Prang

I think it's all down to you look like a dodgy character , and they are all

wondering ,who let him in ......must be a refugee ,bet they don't ask any

of the nice Russians in your hood .....

regards Worgeordie

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

just say ...  " what's a visa '

indeed and ask them to clarify your visa options, that would soon shut them up

• Thumbs Up 1