Buying A Suzuki Bandit 400

mezcal

Hi all!

I'm about to upgrade my bike and get a Suzuki Bandit 400 from a private (thai) in Bangkok. My dream bike would be a Ducati but until I become very rich (which might take some time...) :o I have to settle for a jap.

I found the Bandit to be not only the most affordable 400 on the market, but I also think it is the sexiest bike (after the Ducati of course).

I went to BKK already to have a look at the bike and considering its 17! years of age, it is in a very good condition. The guy wants 53.000 for it (green book included) which I think is a fair price.

I will check the autenticity of the book and the buy the bike.

My question is if you have any other suggestions regarding buying a bike from a private and if anyone has already a Bandit and what you think about it.

See you soon on the road bikers!!!!!! :D

Mezcal

post-47052-1185182886_thumb.jpg

No replies? Ok, will help as best I can. The 400 Bandit isn't a bad bike and probably good enough for thailand. Check all the usual like suspension, brakes. Listen for cam chain wear. This bike has had a lot of things painted, so it has been pulled apart for this to be done. Did the guy do it himself? The frame has been painted so presumably the engine has been out. Did he do anything to it when apart? Maybe adjust valve clearances? You may have a problem getting oil filters for this model, it isn't a canister type.

He has certainly cared for this bike so hopefully the mechanical side has been looked after as much as the cosmetic. Sorry for the late reply, I hoped someone else may have more to add. Haven't mentioned anything about the paperwork side as there are more informed people on here than me. Good luck

Buy what you want. I've never bought a bike that was even 8 years old. I like to know where a bike's been, so I don't have to fret over the very important details you're asking. 17 years may have seen ten owners. I would wonder how many nonstandard parts were installed (say, a 1994 alternator, a 1996 brake caliper, a 1987 upper inner grommet camchain link adjuster plate; whatever). How many times has it been dropped or crashed? Revved past the redline? How do you know the 'book' wasn't twisted out of a 1977 Honda Wave 100?

It's an old line by the comedian Jonathan Winters, of two settlers literally crawling across the desert, and Martha finds a lizard. The dying husband growls, "Don't touch that thing Martha; you don't know where it's been!"

that bike seems over-priced, you dont want that, trust me. dont pay more than 30k for it

copy and paste this into your browser -

http://www.thaisecondhand.com/_board/ca/data/CA5548170.html

that looks like a better deal to me.

Thats nice too. But this Honda doesn't come with the registration book, which would be another 30k or so. Mine has all the documents. I just got it today and I must say I'm very happy with it!!

Thanks for the replies anyway!

Godspeed to all

M

post-47052-1185894704_thumb.jpg

hi,

did you take the bike to a garage to get the enigine checked etc. before you bought it ?

i am interested in buying a similar kind of bike (probably a CB400) but am a bit dubious about buying second hand, as i fear there could be a few dodgy parts installed in the bike!

where did you see that one advertised ?

thanks

matt