What this scam is about?

Terek

Whenever an Indian-looking guy tells me that I have a happy face, I smirk at him and keep walking. Served me well, it used to be even more common in Malaysia than in Thailand.

If I had rat poison with me... but no, a smirk will have to do.

Edited by Caldera

On 3/7/2024 at 8:27 AM, Terek said:

I noticed this pattern, in Central Pattaya near shopping areas there is some strange people, looking Indian or something similar. They come to random people trying to give some weird advice, usually they start without any manners telling that you are too fat, skinny,  bald or something other about person's  appearance and say they have advice, stupid and annoying. I smell it's some scam going on or just thieves trying to distract victim. Maybe someone smarter can comment what it's all about? 

In Spain, Italy and France, just to name the most common countries where this happens, scamsters, pickpockets and thieves aplenty. 

My laptop bag stolen at Ibiza airport arrivals just as I bent down to pick up my checked bag from the carousel. Police of no help. No CCTV coverage. 

Gangs operating with impunity across Europe, particularly during the tourist season. 

Police does absolutely nothing. Understaffed. 

On 3/8/2024 at 9:01 PM, Caldera said:

Whenever an Indian-looking guy tells me that I have a happy face, I smirk at him and keep walking. Served me well, it used to be even more common in Malaysia than in Thailand.

If I had rat poison with me... but no, a smirk will have to do.

Keep smirking. Suits your face well. 

• Sad 1

On 3/8/2024 at 6:52 AM, jacko45k said:

If they are Indian, for sure a discussion will turn into an argument that you can never end......you have to hit them, fast and hard, before you lose the will to live. 

(Note... For the trolls and woke, this is a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously.)

Of course, you'll lose the argument with an Indian - mostly because he's better educated than you!

(Note... For the trolls and woke, this is a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously.)

• Sad 2

Not as sophisticated as you msy think. They call them Hustler's in New York City.

It's just simply trying to get the attention of someone who has more then them. They make it up/spin it as they go along.

When the opportunity presents itself the scam or whattever you want to call it comes into play. They ask questions, get information from you, find out about what you need, then try to assist you with that and take a cut somewhere along the way. It's not limited to that, it could be anything, an opportunity to take your wallet, etc.

A simple purely made up example would be where you agree you need a haircut after talking to them and that topic comes up. You have to talk about something unless you are just completely silent.

Then they know a place. When you arrive they haggle for a commission from the barber, or a tip from you. The complexity of the scam depends on how willing you are to be led along and how gulliable you seem and whether it's worth wasting more time or looking for an easier mark. 

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

Of course, you'll lose the argument with an Indian - mostly because he's better educated than you!

You seem well educated wrt my education level. 

But thank you for supporting my last sentence and reminding me to include 'thick' next time!

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2024 at 12:48 PM, spidermike007 said:

This world is just chock full of scammers these days who refuse to work for a living and prey off the naivety of others. We just simply have to be smart enough and display sufficient survival skills to be able to thrive in the world these days.

Just say no to idiots, just say no to strangers, just say no. I would rather give 20 or 30 baht to a homeless person in real need, than give 100 baht to some idiot who professes to have psychic ability. 

there is apparently no end to the number of people who will fall for liars and conmen and their scams....it is truly amazing how gullible some people seem to be and the conmen will continue to take their money til the end of time....most amazing of all is how many people fall for the same lies and cons over and over and over.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, pomchop said:

there is apparently no end to the number of people who will fall for liars and conmen and their scams....it is truly amazing how gullible some people seem to be and the conmen will continue to take their money til the end of time....most amazing of all is how many people fall for the same lies and cons over and over and over.

Darwin said that some people are more fit for this world than others, some people have the ability to thrive and prosper in this life, and some people just don't. And those that don't seem to be taken in by these scamsters who refuse to work for a living, what can one even? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/13/2024 at 3:41 PM, Caldera said:

Strange, other Indian scammers tell me that I have a happy face.

For some reason indian people same as Filipino men look at me and leave.

I'm not Jewish but I used to have a Star of David around my neck and I used to hold it with one hand if I was meeting someone so they could see it 

Many people (in my workplace) left me alone after that where I would meet a new  colleague I would shake their hand and flash  the Star of David at them 

I used to buy them from the markets on Friday in Soi Bukhao

What about that young farangs  guy who used to stop on his MB to sell you timeshare ,is he still around?

I wouldn't call him a scammer ,but there was a lovely farang guy with a macaw 

Edited by georgegeorgia

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Darwin said that some people are more fit for this world than others, some people have the ability to thrive and prosper in this life, and some people just don't. And those that don't seem to be taken in by these scamsters who refuse to work for a living, what can one even? 

Very interesting, I will do some research on this .

Is this Charles Darwin ?

• Haha 1

Walking down Sukhumvit Road (in Bangkok) many years ago, one of these guys stopped me and said "Sir, you are wearing lucky shoes"!!!  WTF? I kept on walking 🙂

On 3/8/2024 at 4:31 PM, spidermike007 said:

When I lived and worked in India for a couple of years a long time ago I used to carry around a daypack full of food, and when I would run into beggars I would offer them a banana or an orange. The real hungry people would be very grateful and would accept the gift, the professionals would look at me with scorn and turn away. 

That's a really nice thing to do.

• Thanks 1

Just met again this Indian freak near 7-11,  when he started bumbling his text I instantly showed middle finger straight in his face, animal understood very well 😅

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/7/2024 at 11:27 AM, Terek said:

I noticed this pattern, in Central Pattaya near shopping areas there is some strange people, looking Indian or something similar. They come to random people trying to give some weird advice, usually they start without any manners telling that you are too fat, skinny,  bald or something other about person's  appearance and say they have advice, stupid and annoying. I smell it's some scam going on or just thieves trying to distract victim. Maybe someone smarter can comment what it's all about? 

1 person or more? 

On 3/8/2024 at 5:48 AM, spidermike007 said:

This world is just chock full of scammers these days who refuse to work for a living and prey off the naivety of others. We just simply have to be smart enough and display sufficient survival skills to be able to thrive in the world these days.

Just say no to idiots, just say no to strangers, just say no. I would rather give 20 or 30 baht to a homeless person in real need, than give 100 baht to some idiot who professes to have psychic ability. 

I absolutely KNEW you were gonna say that!

• Haha 2

On 3/8/2024 at 5:55 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

A decently dressed Indian guy came down the escalator at Phrom Phong BTS Station in front of Em Quartier Mall, Bangkok. Asked if I speak English. He pressed his internal start button and went straight into his pitch, showing me his -- not sure if it's called a colostomy bag if it's used to collect urine. Yeah, yuck. Drama button 2 gets pressed and the tears started to flow. Then and there I knew the game was on. "No. Bye." The nerve these bums have. I have also gotten the "you have a lucky face" pitch in years past.

That's funny.  I used to work in Tijuana. Had a company.  Crossed the border for 2 years then moved there for 8.  There was a guy that had a fake "surgery drain bag" on his stomach. After about a year, I told him he was a fake and I'd seen him doing his crybaby act for a year.  He wasn't fazed. The next time I saw him, I stepped out of my truck and loudly announced to everyone in the border (yeah, we had one in 1995, FJB) line that the guy was a scamming liar. Never saw him after that.

• Thumbs Up 1

My wi-fi is terrible, so I guess the only other option is Tru internet, which can provide a fiber hookup in my building.  They’re the one company that can.

I don’t mind a reasonable installation charge, but what about the monthly charges?

Someone once told me that foreigners were now required to pay the full two year contract in advance.  Does that sound right? I could do it, but then if I move I’d lose the rest of the contract amount?

• Confused 2

On 3/8/2024 at 5:53 PM, Espanol said:

In fact, I remember one in that area who was with several children. The baby she was holding was never the same and someone told me that she rented it to beg on the street.

I found it useful to follow Thai ladies ,if they give -usually a coin ,then I may give .If they don't don't!