Visa free entry to China for six countries

BEIJING, March 7 (Reuters) - China will offer visa-free travel to nationals from Switzerland, Ireland, Hungary, Australia, Belgium and Luxemborg from March 14, foreign minister Wang Yi said on Thursday.

Reporting by Ethan Wang and Bernard Orr; Editing by Kim Coghill

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Polaky said:

Hmmm, might actually get to see the great wall.

Chose your weather, very cold in December - February, very hot July, hot & wet in August. I was there in December 2000, not my favourite destination by any means. The Great Wall is impressive in a sense but it is just a wall which has been rebuilt in many parts due to deterioration. Like Thailand with double pricing, queue's for foreigners at several times the price of locals at the wall but they do give you a small book on the history of the wall, not sure if the local queue gets the same. 

• Like 1

Most likely Australia was ment to be Austria. This would be the same group of countries. Had massive problems to get a work visa for china on my Aussie PP about 2 years ago. Was much easier on my other PP.

On 3/7/2024 at 2:01 PM, mfd101 said:

Switzerland!  Gosh they're brave.

Mmmm, and wonder whether Oz will be reciprocating. (I guess Yes - China doesn't give away anything for free.)

Australia does not give anything away even if you have paid for it. 

Just to help the confused , i am refering to the portability rules on pension points earned in Australia.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2024 at 12:24 PM, paul1804 said:

Chose your weather, very cold in December - February, very hot July, hot & wet in August. I was there in December 2000, not my favourite destination by any means. The Great Wall is impressive in a sense but it is just a wall which has been rebuilt in many parts due to deterioration. Like Thailand with double pricing, queue's for foreigners at several times the price of locals at the wall but they do give you a small book on the history of the wall, not sure if the local queue gets the same. 

China eliminated dual pricing for foreigners years ago. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, paul1804 said:

Oh really, that surprises me!!!!

Not at all, don't be surprised. China is very different to Thailand. Vietnam also eliminated the vast majority of dual pricing against foreigners too. Communist countries are quite different to their military, democratic and/or constitutional monarchy counterparts such as Myanmar, Thailand and Cambodia, as well as Malaysia, all of which practice widescale dual pricing.

Edited by Highlandman
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Not at all, don't be surprised. China is very different to Thailand. Vietnam also eliminated the vast majority of dual pricing against foreigners too. Communist countries are quite different to their military, democratic and/or constitutional monarchy counterparts such as Myanmar, Thailand and Cambodia, as well as Malaysia, all of which practice widescale dual pricing.

That's refreshing if thats the case! I didnt notice any dual pricing when I was last in Vietnam but its certainly still very apparent here in Thailand from street markets to haircuts!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 2:01 PM, mfd101 said:

Switzerland!  Gosh they're brave.

Mmmm, and wonder whether Oz will be reciprocating. (I guess Yes - China doesn't give away anything for free.)

I think it's probably Austria not Australia. 

• Agree 1

On 3/23/2024 at 1:14 PM, paul1804 said:

That's refreshing if thats the case! I didnt notice any dual pricing when I was last in Vietnam but its certainly still very apparent here in Thailand from street markets to haircuts!

Officially, haircuts and street markets aren't supposed to have dual pricing and you can refuse to pay the higher price. Any attempt to charge foreigners more depends on how gullible the foreign customers are. 

Vietnam has unofficial dual pricing at many tourist restaurants and tour programs as well. However, officially, dual pricing is limited to a small number of tourist sites. The only one I can think of right now which still charges foreigners more than locals is the Hue imperial palace. Elsewhere, it's what the locals think they can get away with (experienced this once at a Phu Quoc seafood restaurant, where ironically, I was present with a group of Thais as well as my father, a Chinese lady and a Vietnamese friend). Thanks to him, the restaurant didn't succeed in ripping us off, but probably would have if he hadn't been present.

I was referring more to "official" dual pricing, which mainly applies at tourist sites including national parks (for 2.5 months beginning in mid December and ending February 29 this year, foreigners could actually enter a select number of national parks for free (once only for each park), while Thais paid the normal entrance fee). Perhaps later this year, they'll do the promotion again. Museums, temples and even marathon entrance fees are higher for foreigners. 

Malaysia does the same at many tourist attractions.

China used to practice dual pricing until 20 or 25 years ago, but now the only possible exemptions to the uniform pricing policy would be for locals who live in the town/city/district where the attraction is located. Otherwise, Chinese people from anywhere else in the country and foreigners pay the same.

On 3/8/2024 at 12:24 PM, paul1804 said:

Back then they still did dual pricing. Not anymore now.