Avoid (name removed) Tour

Most if not all bus companies I have used in Thailand do not require a passport but (name removed) TOUR will not let you on the bus without a passport. A photocopy is not enough. I have no idea what they need to check. Other bus companies don’t even ask for any ID. I’ll never ever again buy XXXX. I think they just don’t want foreigners on their bus that’s why they have such a stupid rule. I live in Thailand and trying to not always to take my passport with me because if something happened to it it’s endless trouble to replace and get new visas etc so I won’t always keep it with me just to satisfy this stupid bus company!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, petermik said:

Were you notified beforehand about this requirement?

Certainly not. Bought my ticket from an agent in downtown and he said nothing about a passport being required. Bet he did not know. Fortunately I just wanted to change my voucher for a ticket which I need for April. Tonight I travel with Lignite Bus and they never require a passport.  If tonight I was t traveling with XXXX they’d refuse me!! Unbelievable! Are they checking for security, are they immigration in disguise or plainly want to make it very difficult for foreigners. Nice to be in a powerseat!! Never ever again Sombat stupidity for me! 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, webcrawler00 said:

are they checking for security, are they immigration in disguise or plainly want to make it very difficult for foreigners

None of the above... But someone in the company, possibly the owner or someone high up decided thats what they wanted without any greater through... so thats it...  with Kraeng-Jai, everyone just follows without question....    and there the customer is potentially impacted because of nothing more than a 'whim'....

... its a good idea to boycott such companies as the Op mentioned. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But, someone stupid is making decisions which impacts foreign tourists and thats annoying, particularly when the decision makes no sense. 

Agreed - sometimes these things are because someone hasn't understood the rules.  I remember reading some Thai rule or other that had been translated to English and saying to my then wife, this translation is terrible and it doesn't make sense.  She took a look at the Thai original and said that the original was just as confusing.

It could also be simply that they require photo ID and only trust a passport.  Given that you are actually supposed to have your passport with you at all times (I have), producing it when travelling by bus shouldn't be a problem.

The name of the subject company has been hidden. Forum rules are very clear:

7. You will not post defamatory or libelous comments. Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person or business to suffer harm or loss. A statement does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either as a drawing, picture, painting, motion picture, film, or letters made visible by any means or by broadcasting, dissemination or propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand and elsewhere in ASEAN.

This thread has been closed.

• Thumbs Up 1