American Woman Arrested for Allegedly Operating Nursery Without Legal Permission

webfact

41 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

And it continues.... 

as has been mentioned in other posts, one has to be careful as it may be perceived as work. 

Don't offer advice regarding drinks or food when in a bar for a start!

I would think most 'tourists' would know what can and can't be done.  Simple,  don't break the law. 

We'll maybe not so simple if it's open to interpretation... 

In this case it was fairly simple. From the link:

"The American woman is facing charges of being a foreigner that operates a nursery without legal permission. The two Israelis and the Ukraine women are facing charges of working without permission.

Two Myanmar housekeepers are facing charges of overstay and working without permission. One Myanmar house keeper is facing charges of illegally entering the country and working without permission."

• Like 1

I know it doesn't matter, but I wonder what the story is behind the nursery?

Did a few expats get together and decide to share the child care, with others seeing them and asking to participate?  Or did she just start up a nursery and sign up 20+/- kids and hire some help?

Shame, really.  Being American, I think the Treaty of Amity would have allowed her to do the business legally.  But there are still formalities, especially related to caring for other people's kids.  (At least there should be...)  Things like safety inspections, background checks, making sure the kitchen is sanitary, etc.

I don't know the lady from Eve, but I hope she can get on the straight and narrow, because expat child care can make or break an overseas posting for a lot of families.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

What a farce, if they picked out this lady to put in the news they are clearly ignoring like a minimum of 100-300 other cases of low hanging fruit there.

I was hoping they take them all down, then that island would be normal again and have rentals available at normal prices too.

its 70%  full of people there hosting illegal workshops, day cares, hostels, restaurants, parties and more. 

Seems like a PR stunt where ever location is told to find 1-3 people.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Agree 2

43 minutes ago, proton said:

How about the guy selling burgers on the street in Bangkok and putting himself all over the internet, does he get away with it cos hes a double amputee?

He was swiftly hounded out of business.

He was first featured on AN on 17th January 2017.

Two days later:

"Gareth Payne said on his No Name Burger Facebook fan page that he had been "verbally attacked". He cited other farangs "on some site" as being responsible. He said that people were "talking so bad" about him and he just wanted to make people happy and be left alone, reports Daily News."

No...its not the start of a pogram.

I think it's being driven by millennials, digital nomads, early retirees, and Ukraine war refugees and draft dodgers who think Thailand's labor laws don't apply to them.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Two days later:

"Gareth Payne said on his No Name Burger Facebook fan page that he had been "verbally attacked". He cited other farangs "on some site" as being responsible. He said that people were "talking so bad" about him and he just wanted to make people happy and be left alone, reports Daily News."

well hes at it again, all over tik tok daily and a pest, had to turn notifications off as always getting messages to watch him live cooking and selling burgers, must be the same guy. Goes under captain's corner burgers

Edited by proton

2 hours ago, retarius said:

I don't think there are any misunderstandings here....with 20 kids there she was operating an illegal business....it's illegal. She probably doesn't break the law in the US,

No, in the US, in all states, you need a child care license to babysit more than a few kids. In most states, it is 6.  

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Enoon said:

Two days later:

Must have a work permit then!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The Surat Thani Immigration Office told the Phuket Express that earlier this week they inspected a nursery on the Phan Ngan Island. About 20 three to five year old kids were found inside the nursery. Two female Israelis and a female Ukrainian were found as baby sitters and four Myanmar nationals were found as housekeepers.

Ms. JENNIFER, 40, American national, was presented as the owner. She was unable to present legal documents for the nursery. All involved were all taken to the Koh Pha Ngan Police Station.

The knives are out now ..... those operating in the dark must be worried now.

6 hours ago, proton said:

So if you get a nominee you can get round the restricted employment law?

You still need a work permit and follow the working laws.