Thai Beach Vendors using their slingshots on the poor Monkeys!

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes it's cruel.  But it's not likely to do serious harm to the monkeys...and it will deter them from returning and becoming a serious pets. 

why don't they do the same to soi dogs ...... they are serious pests already    !

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Monkeys can be troublesome at some locations. As well as stealing your stuff they can scratch or bite you. Then you need antitetanus injections. Some holidaymakers have an unrealistic attitude to stray dogs and wild animals. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bob smith said:

today I witnessed something truly horrifying.

A few monkeys came onto the beach, presumably on the lookout for food,

when 3 beach vendors armed with slingshots started firing at them!!

I was mortified,

so were the rest of the customers.

What gives them the right to behave in this manner?

surely there is a law against such barbaric behavior?

How can they be so cruel toward animals?

This happened at a well known tourist location in a secluded part of the beach.

it has completely ruined my afternoon.

would they do the same to cats?

I kinda doubt it.

bob.

Don't worry Bob, they were aiming for you and not the monkeys.

BTW, the monkeys  like to make off with bright shiny objects.    And, they can't tell a cheap knock-off from a real Rolex.  Bet that you'll be down there later today with your own sling-shot.   Unless ... you are still grounded in your Mum's basement in Croydon for not doing your homework.

Edited by tjintx
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

Sorry Bob. I need to disagree with you on this one. You've admitted that you are one of the ones that has fed/ feeds them (apparently on multiple instances). That makes you the problem.

There are very good reasons that this is an illegal practice or at the very least discouraged in many provinces. For all your good intentions, those meals can cause more long-term & hidden harm to the monkeys than a single slingshot to the butt ever will. 

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, bob smith said:

irrespective of what the good folks of Lopburi may think - Myself and all the other patrons at the beach this afternoon found the beach vendors actions reprehensible. 

It wasn’t just me.

bob.

Wait until they have stolen all your belongings and get aggressive with you, i can sell you a sling shot 🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, chrissables said:

Wait until they have stolen all your belongings and get aggressive with you, i can sell you a sling shot 🙂

never had a problem with any monkeys at the beach.

scamming, aggressive beach vendors on the other hand….

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Monkeys are horrible things They will steal things right out of your hands.If you put your stuff down while you go for a swim they will have it,There used to be some at the end of the beach on Kho Phi Phi till they chased them over the hill. Now if you want a monkey fix you can rent a boat and go to "monkey beach". I remember they didn't have to shoot at the monkeys just pull out the slingshot and they would head for the hills.

• Like 1

The sligshots dont have very strong rubber, so when fired they will just sting. You could replace the rubber with truck inner tube strips and use ball bearings, that would definitely slow down th\e little buggers. 

They are dangerous, can be infected with rabies and do serious damage to property.

So many things that upset you here Bob , those savage ,uncouth ,barberish Thai's,

the quicker you get away to a proper civilised country the better it will be for you,

it must be doing your head in what's going on here everyday ,Oh! and the Russians.

Regards Worgeordie

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

So many things that upset you here Bob , those savage ,uncouth ,barberish Thai's,

the quicker you get away to a proper civilised country the better it will be for you,

it must be doing your head in what's going on here everyday ,Oh! and the Russians.

Regards Worgeordie

it's far from perfect here, isn't it?

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

why don't they do the same to soi dogs ...... they are serious pests already    !

You should get out a bit Steven, they do...

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, JimTripper said:

One thing I dislike about a lot of Thai's is they don't seem empathize with animals.  

I had a maid that was kind of uncaring to my cats and it was kind of odd. It always gave me a red flag what they would be like towards children also and to watch for that lack of empathy in anyone I ever got serious with.

In my opinion, comparing animals to children is a bit exaggerated when talking about being ugly to animals.

26 minutes ago, bob smith said:

t's far from perfect here, isn't it?

bob.

You enquired if you should stay or go. It seems the vote was overwhelmingly to go. When is your departure, and will you take the wife?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

I'm in Morocco. Our guide did this yesterday.

I've seen it done in the semi-terrifying Monkey Forest in Ubud, Bali too.

Bob, you're behind the curve on this one. We're talking about monkey-zinging, not monkey-killing.

They came into my room in Ubud and stole whatever they could carry when I inadvertently left the door open.   Nasty little critters, aggressive as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, poobear said:

No love for monkeys. Love to see people shooting anyting at them in Prachuap or Hua hin.

Agree, I saw big ones bailing up school children outside Phuket, just for fun, actually jumping onto them and baring their teeth in the kids faces. The kids were terrified. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Sling shots are better than euthanizing them or paint ball guns.....

Shooting them with paint ball guns!  Hadn't thought of that!  :biggrin:

Edited by Lee65
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not directly related to monkeys but I see another growing animal problem in Thailand - pigeons. Over 10 years ago I rarely saw any, but now they seem to be everywhere I visit. When visiting the family in remote Isaan, we stay at a hotel in the procincial capital - best hotel for a long way and we have stayed there for over 10 years.  Last visit there (Jan) the hotel and surrounds had a lot of pigeons about - they started some years back and there are more every visit. Same thing all around Thailand when we travel - not the south so far. They may not be as bad as monkeys, but they are extremely bad for the local birds and they roost in houses and can cause all sorts of chest problems for humans - that is why we bred them outside. They are very fast breeders (we made them that way) and they are big and strong (also made that way) and if they are not stopped soon they will take over everywhere in Thailand. Every Thai I mention this too as I see their ever growing numbers, including the wife, just smiles and shrugs. I understand their reluctance to take a life - but they just dont see the downsides to not doing anything - just like the monkeys. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Not directly related to monkeys but I see another growing animal problem in Thailand - pigeons. Over 10 years ago I rarely saw any, but now they seem to be everywhere I visit. When visiting the family in remote Isaan, we stay at a hotel in the procincial capital - best hotel for a long way and we have stayed there for over 10 years.  Last visit there (Jan) the hotel and surrounds had a lot of pigeons about - they started some years back and there are more every visit. Same thing all around Thailand when we travel - not the south so far. They may not be as bad as monkeys, but they are extremely bad for the local birds and they roost in houses and can cause all sorts of chest problems for humans - that is why we bred them outside. They are very fast breeders (we made them that way) and they are big and strong (also made that way) and if they are not stopped soon they will take over everywhere in Thailand. Every Thai I mention this too as I see their ever growing numbers, including the wife, just smiles and shrugs. I understand their reluctance to take a life - but they just dont see the downsides to not doing anything - just like the monkeys. 

Yes i have seen it here,hordes of pigeons attacking people and taking their belongings!

Very dangerous.

On a more serious note,our dogs hate monkeys and will keep them out of our yard mostly.

We only had to teach one dog and she taught the other ones down the line.

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

It happens ALL over the country. The monkeys are NOT friendly. They are vicious.

They will tear open bags in vehicles, they will try to grab stuff from people, they will literally attack people if they think they have food.

They will also attack small pets and children.

Last November I was at Wat Chakan in Sa Kaeo. A friend was going up the long stairway and a couple monkeys tried to attack him and he is a fairly large fellow.

I had to stay with the motorcycles to keep the monkeys from tearing the seats and yanking wires/ cables.

The vendors had long sticks they'd use to shoo the monkeys away. But as soon as they turned their backs the critters would be trying to steal whatever they could get their claws on.

At a couple national parks we visited last year, the caretakers also used slingshots to scare the monkeys away, especially when they got too aggressive around people.

If this was a " western" country people would be screaming for animal control to deal with them. Which would mean live- trapping and relocating some (in some places) or simply shooting/ euthanizing them in other places.

And here's a clue. If those Thais on that beach were not shooting those monkeys with sling shots, you would not be sitting on that beach at all.

A lot of money is allocated to catch,neuter and release monkeys every year.

This means a cage is being placed,a few monkeys get neutered and a picture is taken and off to the Mercedes(Tesla) dealership.

Some people are not doing their job.

And this is why the western world (europe & the usa) have an immigration problem. I would have included australia, but their 'bleeping' liberals haven't gotten quite as ignorant, appalled as they are in the us & europe (yet).