Australian man, involved in big bike incident.

roo860

I saw this on the news. He was on a MC, he stopped abruptly and the car following hit the MC without injuring the foreigner. 

Who's fault was the accident?

no fault should be given in this instance as they are both in the wrong by crossing the double solid line.

the mc rider's actions after are unacceptable. charged and sent to court. 

Edited by stoner
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

FWIW - I agree that both at fault for the initial accident and that's no way for MC rider to respond. I hope that some justice follows.

My pet hate however are screen captures of a monitor in landscape mode, taken in vertical mode and then adapted for news media in landscape mode - which we're expected to watch on a handheld device no more than about 6" across.  :annoyed:

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Will27 said:

This low life should be shown the door.

I think the anger is pretty damn normal when you get smoked like that from behind. 

I can't say I'm sure I'd behave much better during the initial adrenaline rush

Edited by n00dle
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Will27 said:

Look at the video, he cut in front of her.

Regardless, it was an accident and that response was way over the top. 

Do you reckon I decided to comment without watching the video?

Note: I changed my wording from justified to normal. Its a fight or flight scenario. I don't believe the reaction was right, but the fact remains i suspect id be pissed and possibly react similarly in the immediate aftermath.

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2024 at 7:24 PM, n00dle said:

Or does anyone else want to kick every poster that uses the sad or confused emoji in the teeth?

Nah

No anger problems..........

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Nah

No anger problems..........

You have dug deep and found a post where I used hyperbole. Well done sir!  Time well spent. 

You sure showed me. 

• Haha 2

M/C rider was at fault for crossing a solid white line directly in front of the car, and the car is also in the wrong for crossing the line. I got a 500b fine for that and it was a clear road with no other traffic around. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Dolf said:
16 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Car ran into  bike in front.

Car is at fault.

Correct answer.

Thats not 'always' the correct answer...   It is often assumed that the car behind is automatically at fault when involved in a rear-end collision... but there are plenty of cases where this isn't so. 

In this example we have the bike suddenly changing lanes and coming to an abrupt halt (to avoid hitting the stopped car in front). 

The car following the bike also changes lanes to avoid the rapidly slowing bike, but ends up taking the same path and hitting the bike. 

Had the car, been in the left hand turn lane already, the 'crash' would have been 100% the bikes fault, but the car also changed lanes, making the driver of the car at fault for the accident. 

BUT... the motorcycle was also riding without care and attention...   that was the lead up, but not the crash itself which is caused by the car following too closely. 

While the bike rider is clearly a total d!<k....  after watching the video a few times I'd agree that while the car driver is 100% at fault for the accident itself.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Car hit bike infront.

Car is at fault.. end of.

Not 'end off'....  there are plenty of other factors at play which could imply the car is not 100% at fault simply because it was behind. 

The car behind isn't always 'automatically at fault' regardless of your attempt to add authoritative gravitas with 'end of'...  (*also try 'I rest my case'... or my favourite... 'full stop'... to add that additional authoritative gravitas when presenting a broken argument !!!) 

While in this case I do see the car as being 100% at fault, its only because the car also changed lanes behind the bike. 

Had the car been in the left most lane and the bike suddenly moved into the left lane then abruptly stopped it would be the bike rider who is at fault for the incident. 

I can also see in this case, that given the bikes erratic riding, the police could add a charge of riding without due care and attention making him complicit in the incident - I don't think that would be an unfair outcome. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

clearly both show shocking driving/riding and road awareness skills. riding a big bike without a helmet anywhere is a bad idea, in thailand it displays particular stupidity. wearing headphones while riding a bike?  plus the biker needs needs to take an anger awareness/management course.

ultimately both at fault. and if the car driver's a doctor then the aussie is in real trouble.

Edited by it is what it is
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Foreigners behaving badly has become a bit of theme in the Thai news lately.  While it must represent a tiny minority, it's not a good trend when there's a government that is only interested in sound bite policies.

Let's all try to avoid kicking, shoving or spitting on the locals for the rest of the month.

• Love It 1