Back-to-back 30 Day Tourist Visas

My last border hop was at Mae Sot on 21 June, my third 30 day back-to-back in a row. Going up again on Monday. Only thing different about last border hop was that Thai Imm. wanted to know my home telephone number and then wrote it on their part of the TM form. What was that all about? Anyone know?

chingy_:

you guy worry to much, there is only 2 option,

if you can't get the first( crossing every 30days )

take the second( go get a visa )

Mr_Pedantic
If I believed most of the scaremongering on these forums I'd be old beyond my years. I believe the people who tend to get most of the problems are the people with poor attitudes when face to face with officialdom and don't bother to dress smartly. A smile goes a long long way also.

Both above posters provide good and clear thinking and advice.

In nearly 20 years I have been following these simple rules, and I am going to follow them the next 20 years too.

... and so should all of you :o

I am also in the what may happen is not what will happen camp.. That said however I fully intend to carry documents that show the 'import' into Thailand of funds if I have to do land border crossings.. Being careful is not the same thing as being paranoid.

This rule only effects people working illegally in the kingdom anyway.. If you are living here on external funds surely you can show 20k per month from abroad ?? As such I have no real problem with this if it is implemented as it has been discussed...

As i just posted to another thread - I came back 2 days ago from aranyaprathet, my friend had to get his 30 day stamp, it was his 8th in a row, no problems here. BUT - everyone who has gone to aranyaprathet knows the military checkpoint a few km before you get into town. we where stopped there and they checked our passports. i don't know if that only happens to private cars or if they also stop minibus and bus, but consider it when you have overstayed your visa and want to clear it there. better go by air and pay teh fine at don muang.

cheers

shellman

As i just posted to another thread - I came back 2 days ago from aranyaprathet, my friend had to get his 30 day stamp, it was his 8th in a row, no problems here. BUT - everyone who has gone to aranyaprathet knows the military checkpoint a few km before you get into town. we where stopped there and they checked our passports. i don't know if that only happens to private cars or if they also stop minibus and bus, but consider it when you have overstayed your visa and want to clear it there. better go by air and pay teh fine at don muang.

cheers

shellman

I have driven to Arunyaprathet on many occasions in my car, and have never been asked to produce any documents at check points. Maybe it's my smile :o Yes there is a very heavy military presence there, and for good reason.

Only thing different about last border hop was that Thai Imm. wanted to know my home telephone number and then wrote it on their part of the TM form. What was that all about? Anyone know?

Nothing probably. The TM form serves to register your address with immigrations. On occaision, immigrations will ask for supplemental information but there is no consistency to their requests. Somebody passing through that same officer's desk right behind you, form filled out the same way and fitting your exact same entry/exit circumstances, may not be asked for that additional info. Go figure...

That's right a smile goes a long way! and don't look like a bum when you arrive I see so many foreigners that look like idiots when at the borders and they wonder why they get this treatment from the immigration officers. I'd do the same.

Only thing different about last border hop was that Thai Imm. wanted to know my home telephone number and then wrote it on their part of the TM form. What was that all about? Anyone know?

Nothing probably. The TM form serves to register your address with immigrations. On occaision, immigrations will ask for supplemental information but there is no consistency to their requests. Somebody passing through that same officer's desk right behind you, form filled out the same way and fitting your exact same entry/exit circumstances, may not be asked for that additional info. Go figure...

I've just come back from a visa run to Malaysia and at the cafe stop just before the border, they filled in the TM6 for everyone on a typewriter, but onl;y put on the bits that were on my passport, leaving virtually all of the rest of it blank, including address. I just had to sign it. Accepted at the Thai immigration desk without question. Do they really use it for anything?