Model's Nightmare: Taxi Harassment Unfolds Amid Fare Dispute

webfact

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

If you book an hotel but decide to cancel at the last minute, you lose any deposit you have paid because the hotel could have trouble filling the room at short notice.

Why not have a similar system for these taxis, when you pay a deposit when you book, refundable if you cancel within a certain, reasonable length of time. 

Great idea but for many of these drivers that would be too hard, anyway, "Management "wouldn't  know how to go about it unless there was some money in it. This is a small change problem and no-one will do anything about it, look at the last election rip off and it's still not over.....

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why not have a similar system for these taxis

they do. you get deducted if you have a card on file or you get stung on your next ride with the cancellation charge

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Not the drivers fault he turned up as requested, she should pay

Yes point taken ,without abuse Please Driver could've Nicely asked for a Small   Fee for turning up .

But hey Taxi Mafia  run the place ,So they say they can do what they like .

Make them use the meter ,if not Impound the Taxi for a Month.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Frankie baby said:

How do stories as feeble as this, make any sort of headline for discussion.

It keeps the dullards off the streets and gives them something to do! But don't tell anyone I said so, or there will be crowds on my doorstep baying for blood🫢

I will not be surprised if the taxi apps are going to ask for advance payment or deposit payment in the near future before starting the pick up seeing how common and easy it is for people to cancel their rides.

It's a bit of a non-story that must happen hundreds of times per day.

I don't see the necessity for all the photos for a ridiculous little problem like this. It's simply daft.

The argument has to be the time difference between booking and cancellation, if he's already set off and is underway ( which is trackable) then he should get something.

If it was cancelled before he started the engine, then I would think, No.

When I was in Ho Chi Minh a few months ago, I booked through the hotel at $20 as I didn't know the city. He wasn't there to collect me. I phoned the hotel, they said he was on his way.

Another fifteen/twenty minutes went by.

I booked through the airport kiosk, and they asked me for $12!!!!.

He arrived after I paid the Kiosk, and he started raising his voice, I walked away on the Kiosk's advice, and let them sort it out with him.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

near Sukhumvit Soi 4.

This pretty much tells us all we need to know about the taxi driver. 

A generalisation I know - but it appears that there are key area's in Bangkok which attract taxi drivers who are readily prepared to escalate issues to a physical altercation....    such area's seem to attract the scum of the taxi driving trade. 

9 hours ago, 2long said:

A woman changing her mind last minute, at the cost of someone else trying to earn a living (probably honestly).... whatever next!

People should be free to change their minds - but I agree....  it should cost them something in such cases... and it does. 

GRAB charge a cancellation fee when a ride is cancelled within a certain time frame (3mins) from booking. 

Customers are be charged up to 150 baht if they cancel after 3 mins and the driver has travelled 500m or more...

Thus the book & bail as this woman did does come with a penalty.

I'm not sure how much of that goes to the driver. 

6 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

I mean sort of sucks when you are hustling for fares... Yet another tale in the new ending battle of customer vs taxi 😂

I agree...  It must be very frustrating as a driver just to be 'disregarded' like that...    

I have cancelled fares in the past for the similar reasons..    Or, I've cancelled because the driver accepts but he's too far away and I'm not going to get where I need to be in time so just get the Wife to drop me or take the bike etc... 

When I cancel, I'm charged a cancellation fee...  thus, in this case, my guess is that a cancellation fee was also charged and some of that must have gone to the driver.

The issue of course is the 'entitlement' of the driver that he should get more - this issue then becomes a slightly one and not to do with someone cancelling a fare, but the entitlement and aggression of taxi drivers who operate in such area's....   

By trying to forcer her in his car, thats assault. I hope he's banned from being a driver, these kind of fool will be in the news sooner or later usually for violence or assault etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Yes but I don't think the hotel would try to kidnap you.

Mainly because you are not at the hotel. This 'model' was at the place she asked to be picked up.

So did the taxi driver try to coerce her into his car and take her to the place she had booked?

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Mainly because you are not at the hotel. This 'model' was at the place she asked to be picked up.

So did the taxi driver try to coerce her into his car and take her to the place she had booked?

'The situation escalated when the driver allegedly attempted to forcibly take her into the taxi.'

He should not have been trying to force her into his car, no matter what had taken place - full stop!

According to the article, it was only the intervention of bystanders that prevented him from doing so.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

However, the driver became aggressive during a phone call, demanding a fee for his time.

Were they face to face or just on the phone/

If on the phone, how could he forcibly coerce her into getting into his car?

Sorry Ms Airfix, pay him something for his losing your fare

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

ALLEDGED by whom?

Ask the OP.

I think you know very well that in all cases where there is an unproven offence, reporters state 'alleged'

Stop being so damned awkward!

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, artotle said:

Nice, bitter old men on AseanNow complaining about women, what a refreshing change from the usual.

No, Ill  complain about  anything, anyone , anytime, anyplace Im an equal opportunities fully  diverse and inclusive complainer, I even get on my own tits

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Ask the OP.

I think you know very well that in all cases where there is an unproven offence, reporters state 'alleged'

Stop being so damned awkward!

OK, sorry. She was wrong in my opinion. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Sorry Ms Airfix, pay him something for his losing your fare

Something will already have been paid...  

GRAB Policy is up to 150 baht cancellation charge after 3mins if the car has moved more than 500m.

I'm not sure how much of a cancellation charge was applied by GRAB or how much of that goes to the driver - however when someone cancels there is a charge. 

Now - regarding cancellation charges: I want GRAB to compensate me for every fare they've accepted then cancelled at the last minute often costing me more money or inconvenience... (nearly cost friends a missed flight).... 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Jack Hammer said:

You learn something every day. All those ladies I have been with from Soi 4  Sukhumvit , I didn’t realize they were called models. I thought they had another name.

Those are prostitutes. Are you saying she is a prostitute?

• Like 1

Taxi needs to be compensated for driving to her location.

Imagine if someone canceled her modeling job just as she arrived at an event.

You'd think this "model" has an entitlement problem. 

• Agree 1