Poll shows US public support for LGBTQ+ protections falling for first time since 2015

Social Media

image.png

The latest findings from the nonpartisan Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) reveal a concerning trend in public sentiment towards LGBTQ+ rights and protections in the United States. While broad majorities of Americans have historically supported LGBTQ+ rights, the survey indicates a notable decline in support for same-sex marriage and nondiscrimination policies, marking the first such downturn since 2015.

Melissa Deckman, CEO of the PRRI, highlights the significance of this shift, particularly amidst ongoing conservative efforts to undermine LGBTQ+ rights through legislative and legal means. The analysis, based on interviews with over 22,000 adults conducted throughout 2023, underscores a correlation between adherence to Christian nationalism—a belief in the US as a Christian nation—and opposition to LGBTQ+ rights.

Key findings from the survey include:

1. Support for same-sex marriage decreased from 69% in 2022 to 67% in 2023.

2. Support for nondiscrimination policies protecting LGBTQ+ Americans in employment, housing, and public spaces declined from 80% to 76%.

3. Opposition to businesses refusing services to LGBTQ+ individuals on religious grounds dropped from 65% to 60%.

The decline in support is particularly evident among conservative demographics, with fewer Republicans backing LGBTQ+ protections in 2023 compared to previous years. Despite overall societal progress in recognizing same-sex marriage rights, there has been a regression in conservative attitudes, with a notable decrease in support among Republican and independent voters.

These findings coincide with a broader backlash against LGBTQ+ rights, fueled by social conservatives following landmark Supreme Court decisions affirming marriage equality. The legal landscape has become increasingly hostile, with conservative-led efforts to enact discriminatory laws targeting transgender individuals and curtailing gender-affirming care.

Furthermore, the survey provides insights into the LGBTQ+ community itself, revealing that over 10% of Americans identify as LGBTQ+, with a significant proportion under the age of 30. Bisexual individuals constitute the largest subgroup within the LGBTQ+ community, followed by gay or lesbian, "something else," and transgender or nonbinary identities. Additionally, the majority of LGBTQ+ Americans identify as politically liberal and religiously unaffiliated.

Overall, the PRRI survey serves as a stark reminder of the fragility of LGBTQ+ rights progress and the ongoing challenges faced by the community in securing equal treatment and protections. Despite significant strides in recent years, the battle for LGBTQ+ rights remains far from over, necessitating continued advocacy and vigilance to safeguard against regression and discrimination.

Source

image.png

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

IMO it was Desantis et al and that whole fear and alienation campaign.

And who the hell came up with 'drag queen story hour' and throw it into the fire at just the right time?  Don't try to convince me this idea originated within the community.  Would Ronnie be capable of such rascality?  Look up that thing he pulled where he had the police round up some people about suspected voter fraud years before, even the arresting officers didn't get it.  Loathsome as he appears to be he knows how to get things done.  "God bless and keep Ron DeSantis away from the White House."

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Nothing bigoted about it, as I prefer men not to follow my daughter into the ladies room.  I got along with all folks back in the USA, but there are boundaries when it comes to strange men following kids or women in my life, especially to the ladies room.   

Only bigoted thought is yours of me, since you know nothing about me.

You're pushing fear mongering garbage.

Everything bigoted about that.

Also it's not a zero sum game.

Decent Americans want full civil rights for everyone.

Your daughter, LGBT people -- everyone.

If you're talking about criminals of any identity, there are already laws on the books.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Dobbs decision probably underpins some of this small erosion in support of equal rights for all citizens.

The ability of SCOTUS to reverse long-held rights emboldens bigots.

In a concurring opinion, Thomas called on the high court to revoke the rights to marriage equality, intimate sexual relationships, and contraception, as well. The landmark rulings establishing these rights, Thomas wrote, are “demonstrably erroneous.”

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I find the whole idea of 'private' male/female restrooms counter productive to safety any way.   Why even have, and not just have a line of toilet stalls in public area, for unisex use.  Not in an enclosed, designated, separate room.   You're in a private secured door stall, in public area.  Do you need anymore privacy than that.  Have a communal sink area w/mirror, and the problem is solved.

Nobody can follow you in or be hidden in there to begin with, problem solved.

As far as the OP'S 3 key findings:

1. Support for same-sex marriage decreased from 69% in 2022 to 67% in 2023.

... marriage is a failed institution, and should be done away with, and no real purpose to it.

2. Support for nondiscrimination policies protecting LGBTQ+ Americans in employment, housing, and public spaces declined from 80% to 76%.

... already laws about discrimination during employment, don't need more for special interest groups.

3. Opposition to businesses refusing services to LGBTQ+ individuals on religious grounds dropped from 65% to 60%.

... I think 'private' businesses should have the right to refuse any customer.   It's their business, although they will need to live with their decisions.  Not sure I would support a vendor who refused customers without a valid reason.  Really can't think of too many valid reasons, if any.  But believe it is their right to.

I refused to sell firearms to people 'i knew'  for no legal reason, as I simply thought it was the right thing to do.  My business, my right.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

The Dobbs decision probably underpins some of this small erosion in support of equal rights for all citizens.

The ability of SCOTUS to reverse long-held rights emboldens bigots.

In a concurring opinion, Thomas called on the high court to revoke the rights to marriage equality, intimate sexual relationships, and contraception, as well. The landmark rulings establishing these rights, Thomas wrote, are “demonstrably erroneous.”

I have wrote the same thing about the magamorons in this forum. It seems they are smelling blood in the water and more and more of them seem to be  crawling from under the rock they were hiding under these past three years. 

I suspect the same is happening on a national level back in the US.

Only thing is, that the idiots don't seem to realise that the blood they are smelling is their own as the march behind their own Pied Piper.

Edited by sirineou
  • Thumbs Up 2

All support remains north of 60%, seemingly the targets of the Republican Culture wars aren’t getting the message.

Those targets being would be Republican Voters.

So not even 40% of all Americans are onboard with the rightwing Transphobia messaging.

• Like 1

Just an easy target to pick on looks like the needle moved a bit but not much in my humble layman’s opinion it’s all the maggot attacks on this tiny misunderstood minority it’s an easy target to get their collective ire up and frothing at the mouth sad personality I don’t feel threatened by the gay crowd

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, pegman said:

Seems you're very selective when it comes to minority rights. If you don't see yourself in the group needing protection from wrongful bias it doesn't exist.

That is totally wrong.

Mixed up , bobbled up shook up world except for Lola!

L o l a Lola

The rainbow banner flying on the WH.

People walking around topless before or after a WH event.

Cocaine found in the WH.

Whats next

Edited by riclag

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Mixed up , bobbled up shook up world except for Lola!

L o l a Lola

The rainbow banner flying on the WH.

People walking around topless before or after a WH event.

Cocaine found in the WH.

Whats next

So there's stuff you don't like.

Stuff that you're cherry picking to over sensationalize. 

So based on that, does that justify taking away civil rights for fellow citizens? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Nothing bigoted about it, as I prefer men not to follow my daughter into the ladies room.  I got along with all folks back in the USA, but there are boundaries when it comes to strange men following kids or women in my life, especially to the ladies room.   

Only bigoted thought is yours of me, since you know nothing about me.

But you expect others to listen to you.

I have many mainstream LGBT+ friends and work colleagues and many who aren't LGBT+.  I respect all of them equally.

By the way many so called str8 folks are paedophiles, molesters etc. 

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I have many mainstream LGBT+ friends and work colleagues and many who aren't LGBT+.  I respect all of them equally.

As usual, reading too much into my post.  Don't know where I stated straights or anyone, were or weren't pedophile's or molesters.  I simply stated males/men, as women, girls, young or teen boys are usually the victims of.  Women raping, harming my wife or daughter in the rest room is the least of my concerns.

The alphabet folks don't need special rights, laws, that criminals will use as loopholes, so they have an easier time of victimizing people.  All laws & civil rights already apply to everyone.  They are neither special nor deserve special treatment.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

As usual, reading too much into my post.  Don't know where I stated straights or anyone, were or weren't pedophile's or molesters.  I simply stated males/men, as women, girls, young or teen boys are usually the victims of.  Women raping, harming my wife or daughter in the rest room is the least of my concerns.

The alphabet folks don't need special rights, laws, that criminals will use as loopholes, so they have an easier time of victimizing people.  All laws & civil rights already apply to everyone.  They are neither special nor deserve special treatment.

I didn't say you mentioned "... straights or anyone, were or weren't pedophile's or molesters."

I'll add what I please in any of my posts, you're not my master.

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2024 at 5:44 PM, scorecard said:

Yeah unfortunately your another one , "I have many Gay friends " but.....there's always a but ....

Well it's no surprise your homophobic