Frenchman’s trial unveils multi-million euro Rolex replica ring

webfact

I have nothing against anyone selling fake Rolex's or Philippe Patek watches ........

I've had copy Rolex's before .......  500 baht .....   I'm the same as anyone else buying a copy in that I can never afford the real thing so I buy a copy, and the seller earns a meager profit so he can feed his kids and pay his room.

The Rolex company does not lose one cent of profit from those buying fakes ..... as they will never buy the real thing..

Hope this guy gets off lightly.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

This article is so poorly written, it's hard to understand how he ran it from Thailand. The article says he oversaw production oof  watches, but later says they paid $200 and sold them for $400. 

Even he was ripped off $40 excellent copies in Pattaya. If you know where to go. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

My deepest and most sincere apologies: Nowadays...

You are lucky to get away with a major mistake like this,the grammar police can be brutal!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Over the years I've seen some very impressive fakes and some down right crappy ones. 

Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong and the Middle East all have them if you know where to look. 

Heck you don't even need to get off your bar stool in Thailand.  Dubai is a bit shady albeit risky as the cops don't turn a blind eye to much over there. 

In the Afghani markets you could get just about any brand you desired, they would even point out the grade of fake.  Priced accordingly.  Most of which I wouldn't wear in a shower (Definitely not waterproof) but some did look the part. 

Never liked Rolex but Brietling has some nice watches. 

• Like 1

I was told by a Bangkok reseller that they were made in India. He could have been just throwing me off the scent.

When I went to the shop not far from Nana Plaza, no signage, it was unmarked per se, and security was outside, they quiz you if they don't know you or if a taxi driver hasn't brought you.

In the shop, quite a few Muslim Indians and Chinese Thais are working there.

The store is divided into different areas. There is a luggage area, a replica watches area, a designer handbag area, and everything from Rolex to Louis Vuitton.

I then found an online seller, who does the same for watches, Breitling, Rolex, all the big names etc.

However, this guy online goes a stage further, he gives you fake boxes, papers, and carry bags, all designer and stamped. They look good.

The watches have sweep movement and are heavy.

None of the old lightweight, or sharp burrs or corners found on the cheap imitations.

Both were selling, after some bartering, at 3000 baht per watch. Around 70 GBP, people happily pay 140 GBP in the UK, so people are doubling their money.

The danger, of course, is at customs at the airport. Chances of being pulled are low, but if they do, you are sorely out of pocket if you are carrying a few.

Edited by Scouse123

3 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Yeah, how do you maintain the illusion when you walk out to the parking lot and get into a 2013 Toyota Corolla.

thats called flying below the radar isnt it?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, save the frogs said:

rolex. who is buying these stupid over-priced watches?

especially in thailand where it's so easy to get laid. you dont need a fancy watch to impress anyone.

lol.

Ah ha... So you think IF you got a Rolex is to impress others so you project that this is why others may have such a watch... 

You highlight your ignorance.

Have you not considered them cheap watches ?.... Cheapest watch I ever owned was a Rolex... I sold it and make about $3000 profit.

I have a G-Shock which cost me $3300 more than the Rolex !!! 

I'm hoping to get a couple more Rolex's (on wait lists) and will keep them for a while as an investment.

I'm surprised you didn't drop the golden nugget... "Who needs a watch, you can just use your phone to tell the time" !!!   :giggle:

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm surprised you didn't drop the golden nugget... "Who needs a watch, you can just use your phone to tell the time" !!!   :giggle:

Its ok... someone else already dropped the most overused and predicable comment of any thread discussing watches... 

3 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Who needs a Watch, I have a Smartphone:post-4641-1156694572:

• Confused 1

Years ago, when I first moved to Asia, my nieces and nephews asked me to bring them fake Rolexes like the one I gave my Dad.  He appreciated the irony, because he wouldn't have worn a real Rolex if he got it for free.  He just wasn't that kind of guy.

I declined my nieces and nephews because of the case in my hometown (Sugarland, TX) a few years earlier where a high school kid was murdered for his watch.  One of my neighbors' kids was the murderer.  I had this picture of one of my nephews getting his arm cut off for a $15 Rolex.

I bought a couple of fake Rolexes in Mexico back in the '80s and they were absolute garbage.  But some of the fakes in Asia are beautiful.  I'm not a Rolex owner so I don't know if they have tells, but they are very nice looking.  So are some of the other brand fakes.  The Asian fakes I gave my Dad ran for years and only stopped when he quit winding them.  There's a corner in Bangkok where you can order one out of a catalog from half a dozen different vendors, right out in the open.  And that's probably one of many places.

Regarding the guy in the OP, as long as he didn't hold them out as real, I hope he gets off lightly on criminal charges.  And let Rolex try their luck in a civil lawsuit.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Looking on the bright side for anyone who buys a fake watch.

It will always give the correct time twice a day, when it dies 

The same goes for all watches, certainly not just fakes

3 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Who needs a Watch, I have a Smartphone:post-4641-1156694572:

and who needs a smart phone ?  I have a normal nokia, tells the time just fine, and allows me to communicate with others too

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

if he only could put his extraordinary abilities and 'gifts' for doing good things rather than being a criminal but i guess

there's no money in being good now days as being a criminal... 

The problem is insatiable lust for wealth, and a willingness to do anything to get it, not that there is "no money in being good". What does wealth mean if you are such a reprehensible person that you would rob and cheat to get it? When I see expensive cars I just think of people like that Red Bull kid, or Bernie Madoff, people who are so hollow inside that they have to constantly try to prove otherwise with their gaudy and tasteless display of wealth, and the people who buy these watches are of the same cloth, just not willing to risk prison by breaking the law. 

9 hours ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

I met a french guy in Pattaya talking about fake rolexes. He said that the guy usually parked his sportcar outside one of the clubs on walking street.

Yes, he always seems to park at a jaunty angle...

caption.jpg

3 hours ago, Modern Coding said:

If at age 50, you could not afford a fake Rolex, you have failed in your life!

if you could not afford a real one at 50 you have failed   I bought a fake rolex in the 70's using money I earned from delivering newspapers, it only cost £10. 

Edited by Bday Prang

9 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

The problem is insatiable lust for wealth, and a willingness to do anything to get it, not that there is "no money in being good". What does wealth mean if you are such a reprehensible person that you would rob and cheat to get it? When I see expensive cars I just think of people like that Red Bull kid, or Bernie Madoff, people who are so hollow inside that they have to constantly try to prove otherwise with their gaudy and tasteless display of wealth, and the people who buy these watches are of the same cloth, just not willing to risk prison by breaking the law. 

have people been sent to prison for wearing fake watches?   first i have heard of it ,     But  I cant say anybody wearing a real one impresses me at all to be honest

Edited by Bday Prang

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

My deepest and most sincere apologies: Nowadays...

No i wasnt correcting grammar, i was stating illegal stuff ALWAYS made more money than legally lol..

Well guys, since I was a young man I had always wanted a Rolex, but I could never afford it. I bought a Breitling instead and it was my everyday watch.

when I got to 50 I actually realised finally I could afford that Rolex, a GMT (Pepsi). It was the one I had always wanted. I wear it with pride - but not every day. In fact I later bought two other Breitlings, a Navitimer and a B-1, which I enjoy wearing on special occasions. I think it's only right for a man to have at least one 'special watch'. The ladies can dress up with their earings and rings and necklaces, but since I'm not gay I prefer a nice watch.

6 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Looking on the bright side for anyone who buys a fake watch.

It will always give the correct time twice a day, when it dies 

My Lolex does that! Have I been scammed? 😟

• Haha 1