RTAF to procure either Gripen E-series or F-16 Block 70 jets

webfact

image.jpeg

The Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) is set to procure either Swedish-produced Gripen E-series or American F-16 Block 70 fighter jets later this year. The information came to light during an address by RTAF chief Phanpakdee Pattanakul to senior air force officials at the RTAF headquarters.

Phanpakdee noted that the original plan to purchase American F-35 fighter jets was no longer feasible, leaving the Gripen E-series and the F-16 Block 70 as potential replacements. The move comes as the RTAF seeks to decommission three of its seven fighter squadrons due to the age of the aircraft, each of which comprises 12 jets.

Phanpakdee stressed the need to maintain the existing number of fighters to uphold training, operations, and a balance with neighbouring nations. A selection committee has been established to determine which of the two shortlisted fighter jets will deliver the best value for money.

A source revealed that the RTAF has requested 19 billion baht (US$530 million) for the fiscal year beginning in October 2025 to procure the first four new fighter jets. If the cabinet approves this request, the procurement process should kick off between May and June this year.

The jet procurement plan is a component of the RTAF’s white paper that outlines its future development targets. Other significant development areas include a research and development plan to leverage quantum AI technology. This technology combines quantum computing with advanced machine learning for data analysis, problem-solving, and decision-making, Phanpakdee explained, reported Bangkok Post.

This R&D strategy will be rolled out as the air RTAF reduces its personnel without compromising its capacity.

In related news, the RTAF relinquished ownership of Kantarat Golf Course near Don Mueang Airport to allow for airport expansion. Under Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin’s initiative, the Defence Ministry is transferring unused military land for public benefit.

Compensation negotiations are ongoing, enabling the development of Thupatemi Golf Course and a new sports complex. Additionally, a sub-committee is addressing Sattahip district’s demand for improved electricity services through the Provincial Electricity Authority.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Gripen (skiesmag.com)

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-16

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A selection committee has been established to determine which of the two shortlisted fighter jets will deliver the best value for money.

Tough choice, go with the F-16's to stay in favour with USA or go with the very capable Griffin and try to get some leverage in the EU sector.

Funny that they insist on Block 70, which they don't need, as some retired Thai airforce officer said recently. Block 70 has extended range and nuclear carrying capability. Odd..

Anyhow EU should buy these planes to deliver to Ukraine. I am ready to pay my share. Probably the best investment any of us could make right now.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 2

All in Thai but the surprise is there is a Thai Weapon Channel.

Any comments by those who can translation? Hard to find a comparison between the Gripen E and F-14 Block 70

This link is pretty consistent with conclusions for choice by other nations:

https://defenceupdate.in/gripen-e-vs-f-16-block-70-one-best-choice-indian-airforce/

Personally, IAMHERE makes a good point. Who can come to your support more quickly after acquisition  - Sweden or the US? The US military has a very intensive theater presence, not to mention existing Asian-Pacific supply channels. And with Sweden becoming a NATO member, it may be more directed towards European support.

• Thumbs Up 1

That money would put Thailand on the forefront of overland train travel; combining all those ideas of the men in uniform would be digging the Kra channel between the Gulf of Thailand and the Andaman sea and really bring home the bacon ........

But the generals, admirals, commodore and sea lords would have to live on their official income ......... nahh, no option = no chance! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Who they are planning to balance it out with ? Cambodia? Laos ? Malaysia ? When is the last war they had with their Neighbours ? China and Singapore are out of their league who they can never compete with.

For the same reasons Thailand buys f-35's, submarines, destroyers and other big toys,

the need to play with new toys and of curse, spend the budgets...

3 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Which country (Sweden or USA) is more likely to come assist Thailand if the Thai's can't use the South China Sea for their foreign trading?

Well, they are both in NATO now that Sweden has just been admitted  !
Thailand could donate its old fighters, plus spare parts and Maintenance manuals, to Ukraine to help the war effort  !

Will Russia try to dissuade Thailand from doing so  ?

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Which country (Sweden or USA) is more likely to come assist Thailand if the Thai's can't use the South China Sea for their foreign trading?

Nothing to worry about. The RTN will sweep the seas clean with their 1 submarine, (if they ever get an engine for it).

8 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Funny that they insist on Block 70, which they don't need, as some retired Thai airforce officer said recently. Block 70 has extended range and nuclear carrying capability. Odd..

Anyhow EU should buy these planes to deliver to Ukraine. I am ready to pay my share. Probably the best investment any of us could make right now.

Then jump on a flight to Ukraine then. 

Edited by BritScot
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, BritScot said:

Then jump on a flight to Ukraine then. 

Dumb comment. At 72.. last time I was close to real action, was in 1973, and didn't fire a single shot. Was kept busy making an inventory of left behind Egyptian hardware. Quite a lot, but nowhere near the 1967 loot, so I was told.

But a war tax is overdue for all people fond of democracy. If we don't beat back the Russians and Arabs into their holes, we are doomed.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Dumb comment. At 72.. last time I was close to real action, was in 1973, and didn't fire a single shot. Was kept busy making an inventory of left behind Egyptian hardware. Quite a lot, but nowhere near the 1967 loot, so I was told.

But a war tax is overdue for all people fond of democracy. If we don't beat back the Russians and Arabs into their holes, we are doomed.

I was a bit sad reading your  comment about "beating arabs into their holes "

Have you always been so hateful and racist ?

I must admit myself I have got along with Jewish people having studied the Israeli combat of Krav Maga but I despise racism

Edited by georgegeorgia

19 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Ben I'm sorry I'm going to have to block you , I was nearly sick after reading your post, 

Its a hateful post from a bitter old man and at 72 you should know better 

Strangely I can't find your name in the account list to block 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was a bit sad reading your  comment about "beating arabs into their holes "

Have you always been so hateful and racist ?

Interestingly, you don't mention the Russians...

15 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Interestingly, you don't mention the Russians...

Oh stuff the Russians they are rude !

Whilst I won't get into the intricacies of it , last year I'm sitting in a cafe in Jomtien when a Russian family uninvited decides to sit with me at my table ! 

Now I would of been ok with it if they included me in their conversation but no ....they ignored me and carried on like I wasnt there !

Ben , I always thought there was a connection between us , a real  relationship, we were what I would consider online  friends.

Now look at what you done!

if you could apologise to me I promise I won't block you 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/15/2024 at 8:20 PM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

The Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) is set to procure either Swedish-produced Gripen E-series or American F-16 Block 70 fighter jets later this year. The information came to light during an address by RTAF chief Phanpakdee Pattanakul to senior air force officials at the RTAF headquarters.

Phanpakdee noted that the original plan to purchase American F-35 fighter jets was no longer feasible, leaving the Gripen E-series and the F-16 Block 70 as potential replacements. The move comes as the RTAF seeks to decommission three of its seven fighter squadrons due to the age of the aircraft, each of which comprises 12 jets.

Phanpakdee stressed the need to maintain the existing number of fighters to uphold training, operations, and a balance with neighbouring nations. A selection committee has been established to determine which of the two shortlisted fighter jets will deliver the best value for money.

A source revealed that the RTAF has requested 19 billion baht (US$530 million) for the fiscal year beginning in October 2025 to procure the first four new fighter jets. If the cabinet approves this request, the procurement process should kick off between May and June this year.

The jet procurement plan is a component of the RTAF’s white paper that outlines its future development targets. Other significant development areas include a research and development plan to leverage quantum AI technology. This technology combines quantum computing with advanced machine learning for data analysis, problem-solving, and decision-making, Phanpakdee explained, reported Bangkok Post.

This R&D strategy will be rolled out as the air RTAF reduces its personnel without compromising its capacity.

In related news, the RTAF relinquished ownership of Kantarat Golf Course near Don Mueang Airport to allow for airport expansion. Under Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin’s initiative, the Defence Ministry is transferring unused military land for public benefit.

Compensation negotiations are ongoing, enabling the development of Thupatemi Golf Course and a new sports complex. Additionally, a sub-committee is addressing Sattahip district’s demand for improved electricity services through the Provincial Electricity Authority.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Gripen (skiesmag.com)

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-16

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

Why would anyone want to sell the RTAF anything & especially a F35 as they seem to treat anything they fly in or sail on  or below the  water as a demolition Derby. But seriously they would sell a F35 to the Chinese or Russians in a heart beat !

On 3/16/2024 at 3:20 AM, webfact said:

the original plan to purchase American F-35 fighter jets was no longer feasible

Meaning denied because of obvious relations with a country up north. 

war, with what country was TH fighting the last decades ?   if china comes, what TH has, will be wiped out in seconds....

should downsize army, generals and their millionaire lifestyles, on a government salary

On 3/15/2024 at 1:48 PM, RandiRona said:

Who they are planning to balance it out with ? Cambodia? Laos ? Malaysia ? When is the last war they had with their Neighbours ? China and Singapore are out of their league who they can never compete with.

Don't forget Viet Nam.  Heck, Myanmar would give them a fight for their money especially with their arm forces battling rebels for the last four decades.

Thould should balance with equal numbers of Grippen and F16, whilst trying to get some munitions cominality overlap, except air to air rounds perhaps.

Can't understand why they ever wanted F35's, probably would not be value for  money for Thailand, in all but very unlikely mission roles..high cost would result in low numbers and insufficient density should a need arise.

They would be better with a sqn of new A10's to supplement the fighter / GR wings for ground attack and bulk munitions, patrol endurance capability 

They need to loose the new toy in the window analysis for purchases.

• Agree 1