Where can i buy a pre paid credit in Bangkok ?

I noticed how some banks advertised 'gift card' type credits, but when you ask in the branch they say they've never heard of them and 'not have'. 

But with the country becoming increasingly digital, and also i would prefer the convenience of having my deliveries just left at my condo rather than having to pay cash, i need some form of digital card. 

Any help ?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DonniePeverley said:

I noticed how some banks advertised 'gift card' type credits, but when you ask in the branch they say they've never heard of them and 'not have'. 

But with the country becoming increasingly digital, and also i would prefer the convenience of having my deliveries just left at my condo rather than having to pay cash, i need some form of digital card. 

Any help ?

Prepaid credit cards don’t exist in Thailand. Something like Vanilla Gift Credit Cards only exist in the USA and can’t be used for purchases outside the USA. 

If you want a Thai credit card, you can get a secured credit card from either Bangkok Bank or KTC Card. What you do is you put ฿10,000 or ฿20,000 into a locked bank account with them and then they give you a credit card with a credit limit equal to the amount of money that you put on deposit into the locked account. Any foreigner can get one. No credit background check required. Just put the money in the bank and they give you the card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pay for your orders online with your Thai bank card or QR code.  Which Thai banks are advertising 'gift card' type credits...whatever they are?

Correct.Kbank app works a treat.

• Haha 1

Just now, jaideedave said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pay for your orders online with your Thai bank card or QR code.  Which Thai banks are advertising 'gift card' type credits...whatever they are?

Correct.Kbank app works a treat.

They all work a treat!

• Haha 1

Although this is marketed as a pre-paid card for use while traveling, it will work within Thailand as well, both online and at merchants that accept Visa: https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/cards/prepaid-cards/planet-scb-card.html

If the pre-paid card balance isn't sufficient to cover a submitted transaction, the transaction will be rejected, keeping your bank account safe from being drained if the card number is hacked or compromised. Safer than using a debit card, especially for online purchases.

1 hour ago, Paul9989 said:

Prepaid credit cards don’t exist in Thailand. Something like Vanilla Gift Credit Cards only exist in the USA and can’t be used for purchases outside the USA. 

If you want a Thai credit card, you can get a secured credit card from either Bangkok Bank or KTC Card. What you do is you put ฿10,000 or ฿20,000 into a locked bank account with them and then they give you a credit card with a credit limit equal to the amount of money that you put on deposit into the locked account. Any foreigner can get one. No credit background check required. Just put the money in the bank and they give you the card.

Bangkok Bank minimum is 50,000 baht. 

You must pay your monthly bill on that or pay high interest.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Use your ATM/Debit Card for payments, a lot easier and no messing around.

1 minute ago, Photoguy21 said:

Yes and no.

For consumer purchases you have more protections and quicker refunds with credit rather than debit cards.

For travel, buying air tickets, booking hotels, etc. you often need a credit card. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I got a "world travel card" (black) - I think it's called from SCB.... It's linked to my regular account & allows you to import from your Thai account....Then, if needed you can use that balance to buy/convert to a foreign currency if needed.....

I used it on our US trip & it performed perfectly.....>If used there at gas pumps I'd have to go to the cashier first - not pay at the pump<....It should suit your needs....

I didn't try it for online purchases, if that's your want....

I was told that my BBK bank card was cleared for international use, but it was hit & miss so I used the SCB card exclusively....

You use a pin number sometimes (which you assign), other times it goes right through....

Edited by pgrahmm

3 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Debit cards aren't accepted in some places in Thailand, only credit cards. 7-11 is a good example. 

Edited by Paul9989

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

About 6 months ago I spoke with both BBL and KTC Card and both of them told me minimum was 10,000 Baht. Maybe that's changed at BBL now, but I doubt it's 50,000. 

17 minutes ago, Paul9989 said:

About 6 months ago I spoke with both BBL and KTC Card and both of them told me minimum was 10,000 Baht. Maybe that's changed at BBL now, but I doubt it's 50,000. 

I was told 50k.

20 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Any help ?

Get a bank account with a debit card.

19 hours ago, Paul9989 said:

Debit cards aren't accepted in some places in Thailand, only credit cards. 7-11 is a good example. 

I ill take your word for that but a Debit card pays the money to the seller immediately, a credit card doesn't.