Institute of Dermatology (Bangkok), how to get a new lesion assessed

RC8

Hi all,

I am looking for information on how to access services at the IOD. I had a new lesion appear on my nose about 1 year ago. I got it assessed at Boots Chemist in the UK (Screen Cancer UK) and received the following diagnosis:

Test: Molescan-1

Result: Other skin lesion to follow up

Comment: R nose. This lesion has a benign appearance on dermoscopy, but it is not possible to give a definite diagnosis. It is probably something called a fibrous papule. I would consider removal for a biopsy to clarify. Suggest GP referral to dermatology for further assessment.

I work in the UK offshore on a 2 on, 3 off rota, and have booked all my flights to Thailand for the next 5 months so it will be a hassle for me to get it looked at in the UK. I live in Roi Et and have to travel through Bangkok anyway, so i thought getting it looked at by the Institute of Dermatology would be the best solution (especially as the ever helpful Sheryl has recommended them on a previous post).

So my question is, how do I go about it?

Turn up at 6am and join a queue?

Go later in the day?

Book an appointment some how?

Any advice from anyone with experience of using the service would be greatly appreciated 🙏

Id get it looked at in Calcutta, 2 hours away from BKK ,flights at around £120.   Was diagnosed with cancer there, was about £20 for diagnosis, took about 5 days for results, but then back in TH immediately after test, really good, fact Id say excellent, cheap hotels too

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are 2 options, the regular public channel and the after hours clinic.

However if they agree need for biopsy, will likely not do it in after hours clinic and refer you to public clinic on another day anyhow (that is what happened to me...wasted a 5 hour wait and 500 baht fee in the after hours clinic only to be directed to public channel on the following day. Well maybe not complete waste as I did get a fixed appointment  for the next day which might otherwise have taken more  time to arrange.).

My advice is to just show up by 7 AM, go to the OPD (I think 8th floor but double-check). Get a number and wait. Bring plenty of reading material.

It is a government hospital so things are not quick, and if they decide you need a biopsy appointment for that would likely be on a different day, and wait time to get biopsy results is about a month.  Regarding appointment dates it is possible to negotiate a bit if they try to give you one many days or weeks hence - explain that you do not live in Bangkok etc.

I paid 700 baht for the excision & biopsy, public channel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

There are 2 options, the regular public channel and the after hours clinic.

However if they agree need for biopsy, will likely not do it in after hours clinic and refer you to public clinic on another day anyhow (that is what happened to me...wasted a 5 hour wait and 500 baht fee in the after hours clinic only to be directed to public channel on the following day. Well maybe not complete waste as I did get a fixed appointment  for the next day which might otherwise have taken more  time to arrange.).

My advice is to just show up by 7 AM, go to the OPD (I think 8th floor but double-check). Get a number and wait. Bring plenty of reading material.

It is a government hospital so things are not quick, and if they decide you need a biopsy appointment for that would likely be on a different day, and wait time to get biopsy results is about a month.  Regarding appointment dates it is possible to negotiate a bit if they try to give you one many days or weeks hence - explain that you do not live in Bangkok etc.

I paid 700 baht for the excision & biopsy, public channel

Thanks for the advice Sheryl. I will try the early OPD clinic the day after I arrive.

In the meantime I will try to get an appointment booked somehow, maybe ask my wife to call them.

Cant get the online booking system page to open here in the UK (maybe the firewall at work)

10 hours ago, RC8 said:

Thanks for the advice Sheryl. I will try the early OPD clinic the day after I arrive.

In the meantime I will try to get an appointment booked somehow, maybe ask my wife to call them.

Cant get the online booking system page to open here in the UK (maybe the firewall at work)

Not sure that this adds anything to Sheryl's excellent advice? Anyway for what it's worth.

My wife attended the walk-in evening clinic at the Institute last Tuesday re a lesion. She waited for about an hour to be examined and was given an appointment for removal of the lesion (last) Thursday (2 days later; no biopsy necessary in her case).  Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, RC8 said:

You can't book sppointment for the public channel. Only the after hours clinic.  Which can also be accessed as a walk in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/18/2024 at 3:35 AM, RayC said:

Not sure that this adds anything to Sheryl's excellent advice? Anyway for what it's worth.

My wife attended the walk-in evening clinic at the Institute last Tuesday re a lesion. She waited for about an hour to be examined and was given an appointment for removal of the lesion (last) Thursday (2 days later; no biopsy necessary in her case).  Good luck.

Thanks for the info

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/18/2024 at 5:15 AM, Sheryl said:

You can't book sppointment for the public channel. Only the after hours clinic.  Which can also be accessed as a walk in. 

Ahh ok, thanks Sheryl.

I don't suppose there are any hospitals around the Roi Et or Khon Kaen area that you would recommend?

Would make things a lot easier.

4 hours ago, RC8 said:

Ahh ok, thanks Sheryl.

I don't suppose there are any hospitals around the Roi Et or Khon Kaen area that you would recommend?

Would make things a lot easier.

Not for skin cancer, no. 

Experience with it is very limited in Thailand.

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Not for skin cancer, no. 

Experience with it is very limited in Thailand.

Thanks Sheryl, I will go to Bangkok 👍

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2024 at 2:50 PM, Sheryl said:

Is this Monday to Friday only or can you go weekends?

Public channel is only Mon - Fri. After hours clinic includes Saturdays.

After hours costs much more. Also be aware that many treatments are nor available after hours. Mainly you can just do consultation. So depending on what you need you might have to come back during public hours for it. But being seen privately can expedite  getting appointment for procedures during publuc hours. 

• Thanks 1