My (Thai) partner is losing her hair. Can anything be done?

On 3/18/2024 at 9:19 AM, giddyup said:

I know a lot of Thai women suffer from hair loss, especially as they get older. My partner is now 60 and is getting quite thin on top and wonders if anything can be done or just accept the inevitable? I feel really sorry for her as hair loss is probably more traumatic for a woman than a man. This is not funny, so respectful replies please.

Buy her a hat

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2024 at 4:45 AM, jimn said:

That's why I married a girl 36 years younger than me.

Unfortunately young girls gets old, if you keep them long enough...:whistling:

I know a lot of Thai women suffer from hair loss, especially as they get older. My partner is now 60 and is getting quite thin on top and wonders if anything can be done or just accept the inevitable? I feel really sorry for her as hair loss is probably more traumatic for a woman than a man. This is not funny, so respectful replies please.

Let her do a blood test including hormone status.

Then the next step.!

My Thai 57  yo wife has the same, periods of being aware of grey hair and starts to pul.

Seeing in drain pit of shower "a lot of hair". Trying everything on hair, but "no" result. Now she treats her hair with bergamot.

Drinking butterfly pea water to try the color will get in her hair, making more dark. But nope.

I think however, menopause, so a hormone issue.

You also see with women (after being) pregnant loosing hair and thin hair, also due to hormone issues.

As said by transam, maybe a hormone replacement treat.

Men can have same problems with, they call it andro pause, the male version. We also arent free of lack of hormones.

It can give many issues for both sexes.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2024 at 9:49 AM, seajae said:

my wife has a problem in that she plucks white hairs from her head just about every night leaving bald patches and has taken to doing comb/brush overs to hide it, apart from that she has fairly thick hair but says she can "feel" the white hair, dont know if this is a thai thing  but she has been doing it for many years, she is in her 50's.

my wife claims they are itchy and is also always working at plucking.... and her dad who is all grey confirms it is itchy... 

On 3/18/2024 at 9:31 AM, QuantumQuandry said:

I understand how stressful that can be.  But you should be going to a dermatologist to determine the cause, imo.

Forum will give you lots of random, well meaning answers, based on people's experiences...which may not have anything to do with what is actually causing her hair loss.

I get daily healthline reports...on hair loss by menopausal or older women, they recommend a diet of certain foods or supplements that could help with whatever is going on in the body that could be causing the hair loss   Suggest one google "hair loss among older women" and suggested supplements/diet foods.

Good luck!

A few people I know use LYO shampoo.  My wife is one of them.  She thinks it helps.

You can also get minoxidil in most pharmacies.  Mostly I see it in 5% solution.  But there is a 2% solution that is supposed to be for women.

• Thanks 1

Warm castor oil every day/night, leave it on for 2-3 hours before washing, it can be left whole night too. It worked for the bald spot of my mom who's also in her 60s. However, it's also important to know if there's a deeper issue, maybe with her health? Best to still see a doctor about it then just add castor oil as homeopathic treatment.

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

may possibly at least partially be related to poor diet. 

image.png.315603aa284a2123df79c53b44abf337.png

In her case I very much doubt it. She eats a lot of home grown vegetables plus a lot of fish, and some pork and chicken. No junk food.

• Thumbs Up 1

don't use hair straightener, hot air from air dryer has not to kick the skin head( don't dry the first 5 cm), use pure soap for clean hair and massage the base of hair very fine to improve oxygenation, if she use an hat must be breathable.

On 3/18/2024 at 3:19 AM, giddyup said:

I don’t know if they have vitamin injections in Thailand, but the best treatment for women in EU is regular injections of Vit Biotine and Bebhanthen ( not sure of the last one spelling but it’s pronounced like that ) I think it’s at least two a week for 6 to 8 weeks. Also a product to massage gently into the parting of your hair, cm by cm , covering the scalp, is called Alostyl. Look that up it might need a prescription. It’s long, but the two treatments work very well.  By the way, the injections work much faster than taking the same Vitamins tablet form.  She might have to do it once or twice a year.  I know Alostyl works for men but not sure about the vitamins. Men getting bald do not have many options medically. Ps, a good cut works as it’s psychological, you see less short hair than long in the sink so you worry less. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

In her case I very much doubt it. She eats a lot of home grown vegetables plus a lot of fish, and some pork and chicken. No junk food.

It’s an age thing, happens to many. 

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

I was specifically referring to the importance of protein.

Quantity may be a factor. 20g of protein daily may need to be increased to 100g+ per day (as an example).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, giddyup said:

You're a DH.

OK buy a wig or get used to life as it is.

Don't get upset with my first answer as it was given in jest, no doubt you have issues with a woman with thinning hair 

23 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

OK buy a wig or get used to life as it is.

Don't get upset with my first answer as it was given in jest, no doubt you have issues with a woman with thinning hair 

Obviously you either didn't read my comments in opening post or just don't give a sh*t.   This is not funny, so respectful replies please.

I feel really sorry for her as hair loss is probably more traumatic for a woman than a man.

Yeah, right, buddy.

I think this post is more about you wanting her to have her looks back.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

On 3/18/2024 at 3:19 AM, giddyup said:

Sometimes it is an underlaying cause. My wife who is a hairdresser helped a neighbor by telling her that she must take care of her diabetes and also sleeping habits and that helped. She dont have thin hair anymore. It look normal. And she feels better too from taking good care of the diabetes.

As suggested in other posts, this forum is not the best source of info for such  a problem.  My 68 year old wife had been suffering some hair loss.  She went to the Skin Clinic at Thammasat University Hospital, Rangsit and their treatment appears to be working.

Best of luck to your wife.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1