Chiang Mai Immigration Requiring Your Monthly Income?

jeffandgop

5 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

In preparing our latest annual extension of stay based on marriage, we always submit evidence of 400K+ in the bank to meet the financial requirement.  We never use the monthly income method.  Now we were told, by an agent, that CM IM wants to also know your monthly income amount and sources.  I declined to provide that to the agent and we will see tomorrow if an IO requires this info....never have we ever been asked about my monthly income given we use the 400K+ in the bank method.

I don't think this is true, because you are only required to have the 400k in the bank 2 or three months, I think it is 2 but I am not sure because I keep mine there year round. 

Anyway , a monthly income would require a year long statement, and would prevent those who have been here less than a year from getting an extension, 

• Confused 1

Jomtien immigration has often asked me where my 400,000 baht comes from  but have always excepted my reply without having to provide any proof.

This year they have specificly told me that there needs to be at least 400,000 in the account for the whole under review period.

As for photos,  yes they  want a photo at the front door with house number clearly shown, I also provide photos of us sitting on the bed,sofa and standing in the kitchen/living room.

This year 2 immigration officers wanted photos of us and them in our house again... a resumption of pre Covidiocy policy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bob smith said:

.....anyone would think they don't really want us here.

bob.

Ever had any doubts about that? But "they" are the affluent, entitled Thai upper and middle classes. Those who believe they are above all humans even though they are only lackeys of their Chinese masters ...

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I don't think this is true, because you are only required to have the 400k in the bank 2 or three months, I think it is 2 but I am not sure because I keep mine there year round. 

Anyway , a monthly income would require a year long statement, and would prevent those who have been here less than a year from getting an extension, 

It's 2 months before applying and must remain until you get past the "Under Consideration" period and get your passport stamped; after that it is totally available to withdraw. The agent even pulled out a form that Imm uses to record monthly financials as "proof" I would have to provide...I still declined to give it to her.

23 minutes ago, johng said:

Jomtien immigration has often asked me where my 400,000 baht comes from  but have always excepted my reply without having to provide any proof.

This year they have specificly told me that there needs to be at least 400,000 in the account for the whole under review period.

As for photos,  yes they  want a photo at the front door with house number clearly shown, I also provide photos of us sitting on the bed,sofa and standing in the kitchen/living room.

This year 2 immigration officers wanted photos of us and them in our house again... a resumption of pre Covidiocy policy.

Our front door doesn't have the house number on it; the house number is on the mailbox on the outside of the perimeter wall; that photo we have and always use.......

• Agree 2

CM Immi. iends to adopt new Immi. rules and processes ahead of other provinces, I've witnessed this several times in the past when they've asked for something such as a copy of your lease and others have laughed at the idea. IF they are now asking for proof of where the money comes from, watch it, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, not for one moment.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

It's 2 months before applying and must remain until you get past the "Under Consideration" period and get your passport stamped; after that it is totally available to withdraw. The agent even pulled out a form that Imm uses to record monthly financials as "proof" I would have to provide...I still declined to give it to her.

First let me say that I am not an expert in this subject, but I also do an extension based on Marriage, in fact I got mine last week (Khon Kaen) , we don't use an agent, we do it ourselves, it is easy, especially after you do your first one.  

I have never provided a monthly statement. 

In fact last year there was a confusion in my bank deposit. We had recently bought an investment property and some how, (wife was handling the finances) the account fell below the 400k two weeks before I was due to do the extension, so I told the IO . then lets do the monthly income method.

He said , do don't worry just come back in two weeks when the funds are seasoned and we will do an overstay. I express concerns about reproductions , he said not to worry the is the one who handles the issue and no problem,, so two weeks later I paid a small overstay fine and was good to go. 

IMO the 2 month seasoning  period for the 400k is so that someone who just came to thailand to be with his wife, would have enough time to season the funds before he need to do an extension.

Requiring a whole years deposit would eliminate that option, and no one would be able to do their first extension  because no one would be able to open an account and stay here for a year to have a years worth of deposits. 

There must be some confusion, either on your part ot the agents part. 

I am sure they have a form but it could be the form nessacery to do the income option.

This year I did my extension a month before the due date. I think you can do it 45 days before, It gives you the time to resolve any issues before your due date

Good luck, 

I am interested to find out how it worked out for you, so please follow up after your visit. 

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

The behaviour and attitude of Immi in different parts of the country is massive, some will allow tweaks to the rules, others don't allow any and even invent their own rules, it's always been this way.

That's true. 

As I said, I now do my extension in advance to give me the time to react to any peculiarities 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Could be related to the incoming tax laws on foreign income. Wife was asked to complete a from at Bangkok bank related to all her income. Didn't take long as she has none. Staff said also related to new tax laws. Since then have not heard of anyone else having to do this. Maybe this is the start, no extension without declaring income and source. TIT

Two years ago I was able to secure a Greek passport. We spend summers there and love it but hated the bureaucracy. They have a similar , foreign income system, and we did not make the move because I did not want to have to move our home, (we are settled here)  , prove source of income, and do yearly tax returns. And Greece has many advantages over Thailand. 

I speak passable Greek, everyone speaks English . , we both qualify for the national health insurance system for a small yearly fee,  have access to the whole EU , No visas, no 90 day reporting, and gyros , glorious Gyros :laugh:

Anyway if Thailand's system  becomes just as bothersome as Greece's, We might have to reconsider our options .  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

I would not be at all surprised if this was the case, the only sensible way the Revenue has to enforce the new tax law is either via the banks or Immigration, Immi would be a natural bottle neck that will capture everyone and allow them to be checked.

As the new law applies to everyone , Thais also, bringing funds in to Thailand you would think that the banks would be the first line of attack. Immigration would only net the small fish and most definitely not Thais? 

Me, have had my pension paid in to a Thai bank that changes from next month, have a bit of cash in hand here so will not need the pension at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Thailand said:

As the new law applies to everyone , Thais also, bringing funds in to Thailand you would think that the banks would be the first line of attack. Immigration would only net the small fish and most definitely not Thais? 

Me, have had my pension paid in to a Thai bank that changes from next month, have a bit of cash in hand here so will not need the pension at the moment.

Yes I agree. But Immi is solely focussed on foreigners, we're low hanging fruit in that respect and also a capitve market to Immi..

30 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

CM Immi. iends to adopt new Immi. rules and processes ahead of other provinces, I've witnessed this several times in the past when they've asked for something such as a copy of your lease and others have laughed at the idea. IF they are now asking for proof of where the money comes from, watch it, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, not for one moment.

The agent's words were just to provide a rough estimate of the monthly pension and no proof needed whatsoever...my conspiracy theory is they're building a record for future taxation...

1 minute ago, jeffandgop said:

The agent's words were just to provide a rough estimate of the monthly pension and no proof needed whatsoever...my conspiracy theory is they're building a record for future taxation...

I doubt that theory holds much water, the man in the Amphur wanted to know how much I spend every month, when we got married, some people are just nosey or curious.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

They would prefer well off individuals such as myself and you who have enough money we don't have to go the cheap marriage extension route. 

Really? It is more efficient for us after doing it previous years based on retirement.  Your ed is not welcome

21 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I would not be at all surprised if this was the case, the only sensible way the Revenue has to enforce the new tax law is either via the banks or Immigration, Immi would be a natural bottle neck that will capture everyone and allow them to be checked.

My income does not get deposited in Thailand. So there is nothing assessable.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I doubt that theory holds much water, the man in the Amphur wanted to know how much I spend every month, when we got married, some people are just nosey or curious.

It's not curiosity when the agent pulls out a full page form that she says Imm fills out on the monthly income details their clients are asked to provide.....

Edited by jeffandgop

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

As they have bank statements in the submission process, and copies of your bank bank book, those monthly amounts etc can clearly be seen, why need to ask ? seems odd to me.

No. I use a Fix Deposit account.  I put the lump sum of 400K+ in 5 years ago and leave it untouched...the only amounts shown and given to IMM  are interest earnings and nothing to do with my monthly income paid within the US to my US bank

Edited by jeffandgop
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, jeffandgop said:

No. I use a Fix Deposit account.  I put the lump sum of 400K+ in 5 years ago and leave it untouched...the only amounts shown and given to IMM  are interest earnings and nothing to do with my monthly income paid within the US to my US bank

Ok, well that may have pricked someone interest as you have on the surface, NO income or flow in the account.

Perhaps a suspicious mind wanted to know why.

Doesnt detract from the regulation for the fixed sum though. May be just a particular IO being enthusiastic.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Ok, well that may have pricked someone interest as you have on the surface, NO income or flow in the account.

Perhaps a suspicious mind wanted to know why.

Doesnt detract from the regulation for the fixed sum though. May be just a particular IO being enthusiastic.

I use a fixed deposit also and again, no such request was made.