Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Chiang Mai Immigration Requiring Your Monthly Income?

jeffandgop

They asked me this also last year for a marriage extension (the first one) before I knew about the new tax laws and I told them everything. I kind of regret this now but I wouldn't be comfortable lying like that on the spot without a good answer. Technically you're now "working" illegally in the country so I don't know why they would ask this knowing what the labor laws are and that you're applying for a 12 month extension.

So, with all these often ludicrous requirements for renewals, why is it that so many are eventually located, often by accident, on overstays of years? Seems like a total waste of time, manpower and resources! 

6 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

In preparing our latest annual extension of stay based on marriage, we always submit evidence of 400K+ in the bank to meet the financial requirement.  We never use the monthly income method.  Now we were told, by an agent, that CM IM wants to also know your monthly income amount and sources.  I declined to provide that to the agent and we will see tomorrow if an IO requires this info....never have we ever been asked about my monthly income given we use the 400K+ in the bank method.

Anyone ever been asked to provide monthly income when submitting the 400K+ in the bank method?

And another new one; in addition to photos of us in front of the house address and in the living room, now we were told we need two more photos- one in the kitchen and one standing outside the front door...anyone having similar demands?

I've had similar "made up on the spot" rules happen to me, although not recently, so do not be surprised. They seem at times to like sending people on treasure hunts and wild goose chases. They are relatively free to make up their own rules, after all it's a pretty boring job and that's all the excitement they have. I once had two immigration police officials come to my apartment to physically inspect it. Then it turned out they were two beautiful Thai ladies. When they saw my guitar collection and were surprised I picked up one and played a tune, then it was selfies all around. You could run your situation by a supervisor for clarity, I have several times had the demands and statements of lower officials reversed by superiors. Lastly, I am only speculating, but due to changes in income tax enforcement this may be the result. 

immigration B3BA311E-FBA9-47BD-AD02-D482D07F6C85.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

In preparing our latest annual extension of stay based on marriage, we always submit evidence of 400K+ in the bank to meet the financial requirement.  We never use the monthly income method.  Now we were told, by an agent, that CM IM wants to also know your monthly income amount and sources.  I declined to provide that to the agent and we will see tomorrow if an IO requires this info....never have we ever been asked about my monthly income given we use the 400K+ in the bank method.

Anyone ever been asked to provide monthly income when submitting the 400K+ in the bank method?

And another new one; in addition to photos of us in front of the house address and in the living room, now we were told we need two more photos- one in the kitchen and one standing outside the front door...anyone having similar demands?

Give them what they want will make your life easied. The last sentence in requirements for extension of stay states that the immigration officer can ask for what ever evidence he needs to make the final decision

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Agreed.  My guess is that it has something to do with this:

"Newly-issued instructions include…

• All foreigners entering and leaving the kingdom to be strictly screened. Enhanced screening will also apply to those seeking extensions of stay, visa stamps, and any change in visa status.

• All crimes committed by foreigners to be investigated and prosecuted, including violations of the Immigration Act, the Alien Employment Act, the Entertainment Places Act, illegal business operations, nominee arrangements where Thai nationals own shares or real estate on behalf of foreigners to avoid legal compliance."

https://aseannow.com/topic/1322743-immigration-officers-told-to-increase-screening-of-foreigners-in-thailand/

Agreed. One strike and you are out.

Your 400K is supposed to be foreign sourced. I think that is all they want. 

Those of us who use the income method have to show a yearly statement from the bank on the same statement as the 12 monthly deposits. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

My office, Nakhon Sawan, has always required four photos. They also send my application to Chiang Mai for authorisation as marriage extensions can only be authorised by Bangkok or Chiang Mai Immigration.

7 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

CM Immi. iends to adopt new Immi. rules and processes ahead of other provinces, I've witnessed this several times in the past when they've asked for something such as a copy of your lease and others have laughed at the idea. IF they are now asking for proof of where the money comes from, watch it, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, not for one moment.

Maybe the new tax laws have something to do with it 

8 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

CM Immi. iends to adopt new Immi. rules and processes ahead of other provinces, I've witnessed this several times in the past when they've asked for something such as a copy of your lease and others have laughed at the idea. IF they are now asking for proof of where the money comes from, watch it, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, not for one moment.

If I am asked as to where my income comes from, they will be informed to contact the tax office, as that is their domain.The only thing immigration can possibly ask for is the 800/400K as proved in a bank, the rest of my income is none of their damned business.

8 hours ago, Thailand said:

Could be related to the incoming tax laws on foreign income. Wife was asked to complete a form at Bangkok bank related to all her income. Didn't take long as she has none. Staff said also related to new tax laws. Since then have not heard of anyone else having to do this. Maybe this is the start, no extension without declaring income and source. TIT

If you are over 65 yrs of age and ALL your income is taxed before receipt, you do NOT have to pay tax in Thailand. If you go to your local tax office to gain a tax ID PIN, you will be in the system and have to complete a tax return EVERY YEAR. If you don't have to, DON'T DO IT.

7 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

You misunderstand....the Immi may be collecting data on monthly spend amounts by foreigners, so they can plan and cost new products and charges.

So keep everything to a minimum and confuse the hell out of the dumbo's.

35 minutes ago, Surasak said:

If I am asked as to where my income comes from, they will be informed to contact the tax office, as that is their domain.The only thing immigration can possibly ask for is the 800/400K as proved in a bank, the rest of my income is none of their damned business.

You tell 'em!

10 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

This is not necessarily true, it will depend on the level to which that income is taxed.

Would you please clarify that statement. How much higher than 45% can the UK tax go?

9 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

Now we were told, by an agent, that CM IM wants to also know your monthly income amount and sources.  I declined to provide that to the agent and we will see tomorrow if an IO requires this info....never have we ever been asked about my monthly income given we use the 400K+ in the bank method.

Why do you need an agent? 

3 hours ago, moe666 said:

Give them what they want will make your life easied. The last sentence in requirements for extension of stay states that the immigration officer can ask for what ever evidence he needs to make the final decision

Agree 

copy2.jpg.c4aa7ec401eaaac30f34df69c4e18651.jpg.3ff4223d139d98ad6c34b0092e624703.jpg

10 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

Sounds like a precursor to income tax collection. No information no Visa, nuff said 

16 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Would you please clarify that statement. How much higher than 45% can the UK tax go?

Just because the UK has a 45% tax band, doesn't mean that all UK income is taxed at that rate. For example, if you import UK funds that were taxed in the UK at say 20% and the cumulative corresponding Thai tax for that category of income turns out to be 25%, you may pay an additional 5% tax in Thailand. If however your income is taxed at 45%, chances are you will not pay extra. 

2 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

Sounds like a precursor to income tax collection. No information no Visa, nuff said 

Sounds like it's possible but quite unlikely, it's far too soon to believe that's the answer

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

I don't think this is true, because you are only required to have the 400k in the bank 2 or three months, I think it is 2 but I am not sure because I keep mine there year round. 

Anyway , a monthly income would require a year long statement, and would prevent those who have been here less than a year from getting an extension, 

I am at the end  stage of this  years renewal based on marriage, this  year they asked what income I had and "about" how much it was, they also asked my wife her income and what she did.

However it was  all written on a  scrap of  paper not on any form. This is HUA HIN immigration I was due to collect  the stamp in my passport today but they hadnt received it back by 9am. Later at 1pm they said they had it back and to come in tomorrow  would be ok.

This is only the 2nd  time Ive been asked in 16 years of doing this, the first time was the first time i did it.

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

Two years ago I was able to secure a Greek passport. We spend summers there and love it but hated the bureaucracy. They have a similar , foreign income system, and we did not make the move because I did not want to have to move our home, (we are settled here)  , prove source of income, and do yearly tax returns. And Greece has many advantages over Thailand. 

I speak passable Greek, everyone speaks English . , we both qualify for the national health insurance system for a small yearly fee,  have access to the whole EU , No visas, no 90 day reporting, and gyros , glorious Gyros :laugh:

Anyway if Thailand's system  becomes just as bothersome as Greece's, We might have to reconsider our options .  

Same boat but different country. Self and Thai Wife both Citizens and we can go back anytime we want. Plan is to stay here a long time, and return when/if one of us starts getting very old/sick. Too expensive to stay here when those serious old age medical problems kick-in - which is usually in mid-late 70s, or if you are lucky not until 80s, or if you are unlucky in the 50s/60s.  When that happens and we cant really travel anymore, or play golf and enjoy Thailand and other SEAsian countries, we will be returning - or sooner if things go bad and I struggle to do annual renewals and 90 days reporting etc etc - and/or am forced to pay income taxes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

Next up, a pic of you with pants down on the loo to prove that you have bowel movements and evidence thereof...I've also heard of them requesting pics of the happy couple in the bedroom? doing what may I ask?