First British passport for second child: DNA test?

I will be renewing the British passport for my first Thai-born son next month, who is now 15 years old. I will also be applying for a first child's British passport for his little brother, also born in Thailand, aged 6 years old.

A quick internet surf mentions DNA testing, which appears to be linked to first-time child passport applicants as well as those seeking to emigrate from foreign countries to the UK. Since the marital status with my Thai wife and mother of our boys is unchanged (we continue to live together under the same roof), and we do not seek to move to the UK, will HMPO seek a DNA test as part of the young one's first British passport application? It looks like things may have changed, but any actual recent experience on applying for a first British passport for a child born in Thailand of British/Thai parentage would be good.

Thanks!

NL

Edited by NanLaew

Yes, I also read it as being only something that you may choose to submit in case there is any doubt of his parents.  I would think in your case you and his mother both have birth certificates and him too of course, with both of you named on it?  The passport application guidance doesn't mention DNA testing at all.

A DNA test is not required for my Son's first UK Passport (this was 10 years ago though) - application in Thailand.

I was married, and listed on my Son's birth certificate (born in Thailand).

I had a full (long version) UK birth certificate (mine).

13 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Google is a wonderful thing but then you've got me to do it for you 🙂 :

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dna-testing-for-british-passport-applications/dna-testing-for-british-passport-applications-accessible

(t appears to be voluntary.

As my children are the spitting image of me my wife asked for one to prove she was the mother 🙂 

Thanks for the effort. I did Google and top-order links suggested that a request for DNA testing was a possibility. This is why I asked for recent, 'real life' experiences.

13 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Yes, I also read it as being only something that you may choose to submit in case there is any doubt of his parents.  I would think in your case you and his mother both have birth certificates and him too of course, with both of you named on it?  The passport application guidance doesn't mention DNA testing at all.

Yes, we have all the same paperwork for the youngster as we had for the older son so no doubts in our household. The oldest lad obtained his first British passport when he was around 5 years old, and back then, there was no question of a DNA test being required or even being an option.

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A DNA test is not required for my Son's first UK Passport (this was 10 years ago though) - application in Thailand.

I was married, and listed on my Son's birth certificate (born in Thailand).

I had a full (long version) UK birth certificate (mine).

My oldest lad's first passport was issued over ten years ago here in Thailand, and no additional DNA hoops were needed to be jumped through back then, not even mentioned.

11 hours ago, sungod said:

No DNA test for either of mine.

Recent?

Ever since Theresa May was Home Secretary, the UK's immigration bars have been ratcheted up, and this includes those who simply want a family summer holiday and visit family.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

No DNA test required, assuming you have all the correct supporting documentation.

That's how I read it.

The birth certificate for the young lad has me identified in the appropriate boxes, same as the supporting documentation that we used for the oldest lad's passport application.

Probably, Google algorithms are placing emphasis on DNA testing and British passports because more users with plans to immigrate to the UK are searching specifically for British passport requirements, including immigration.