Electricity bill scam plauge Thailand - Warning

george

We get our bill same day of the month.

Then put it aside.

Next day compare and pay with PEA app and mobile banking and still checking the recipient data.

Blind QR code scanning seems to become the new pishing. Sending money without carefully checking data?

Sorry, you better drive to the office.

Last year I paid significant amounts to a private hospital scanning the QR code at the cashier.

And believe me I still checked very carefully amount and recipient.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My bank app knows my PEA bill without me doing anything, no need for a bill or any queues.

Just make a payment for the amount that appears.

For some reason Bangkok Bank doesn't recognise the barcode on a (legit) PEA bill as being valid (worked fine with MEA in Bangkok) so I used to check the amount on the PEA app & transfer the money to GF for her to pay it from her account.... Pain in the ass.

Nowadays I just click on Pay PEA (Have it as a favourite on my home screen) on the Kasikornbank app (K+) & it automatically fills in the amount...  Simples. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes of course, my bank app does too. I do not use the PEA App.  But I do just scan the QR code on the bill. Up it pops confirming PEA payment... could not be more convenient

Agreed. K+ app includes utilities and mobile providers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Might be worth checking if this is a scam or someone's mistaken.

There was a senior PEA official on the Thai news (workpoint 23 i recall) yesterday apologising for not notifying they had changed the format and colours of their bills.

5 hours ago, mania said:

This probably means all their customer data security has been breached.

Because if they have a name/account number etc etc for these scam bills that means they have access.

If not then those who just scan & pay are pretty gullible

If the crooks were smart, they would just cruise up and down the streets in high end moobaans and scan the power bills the meter reader just deposited in the mail box and produce a replica with just the QR code changed to that of their own account.  Hopefully PEA/MEA have in place a defense against such a scheme.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Well it could as the poster you were replying to says the app already knows your bill so there's no need to QR code anything.

Just another app on my phone that currently I don't seem to need. It may allow me to select which bank to pay from I suppose. 

1 hour ago, Farma said:

Might be worth checking if this is a scam or someone's mistaken.

There was a senior PEA official on the Thai news (workpoint 23 i recall) yesterday apologising for not notifying they had changed the format and colours of their bills.

Thanks for mentioning that as my PEA bill changed last week. Was a purpleish colour and the latest was more pink. Also they have finally managed to make it smaller by about 40%.

This is in Pattaya.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, spectre324 said:

where is your sense of "adventure?" you can learn an awful lot standing in "line" especially if you understand Thai! plus you get to see all kinds of interesting people.

I used to do it often to pay my TOT bill, never took to it! :tongue:

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yes of course, my bank app does too. I do not use the PEA App.  But I do just scan the QR code on the bill. Up it pops confirming PEA payment... could not be more convenient

Must be a Bangkok problem.

My bills do not have a QR code or barcode, been paying by direct debit for 14 years without a problem.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2