Electricity bill scam plauge Thailand - Warning

george

9 hours ago, connda said:

Simple.  Go to the PEA office and pay your bill -- no scam.

:smile: "Use you bank application on your phone...it's convenient!"

Ya know.  I've finally reached the point in my life where I simply don't trust "convenient" technology.  Pay cash, pay in person.  Other than that, hopefully the Thai BIB will have some competent investigators to get the the bottom of scam such as these.  Maybe.

More simple Direct Debit. Also TOT.

Edited by brianthainess

11 minutes ago, topt said:

Thanks for mentioning that as my PEA bill changed last week. Was a purpleish colour and the latest was more pink. Also they have finally managed to make it smaller by about 40%.

This is in Pattaya.

I am in Muang Chonburi and ours have also changed in size, about 50% larger.

Started off just getting a bill then some years ago started getting a bill and a receipt when the meter read. Now the receipt is printed on the bill.

2 hours ago, Shmo said:

I had to close 4 popup windows to read this thread. This site is becoming unusable for the pops

I am tired of that too, if it continues with this ANA flight and the other pop ups, I will stop using AN.

No other sites I use have annoying pop ups like AN.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Nah, just set up automatic deduction from your bank account.

PEA leaves your bill in the box outside, then pulls the charge from your authorized account.

Exactly I have been doing this for years. Same with the water and 3BB Internet.

3 hours ago, Shmo said:

I had to close 4 popup windows to read this thread. This site is becoming unusable for the pops

Use Duck Duck Go browser.  Goodbye pop-ups.

3 hours ago, RobU said:

I have tried paying my bill via the PEA app. It won't accept it, using Bangkok Bank. 

I pay 3 every month using the PEA App and Bangkok Bank.  You have to pay it using iBanking and not the phone app.  You select bank transfer then the bank and it goes to iBanking to log in.

Scamming OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS seems to have become a favourite passtime by THAI people.
Fake drivers licenses; Fake QR-codes; Etc.
I received a phone call from someone who claimed to work for the PEA and notified me that I could claim a refund on my electricity bill from the past 3 years.
Closed the call without responding and went to the PEA Office to check the call and it was a SCAM.
But they would not help me to bring the SCAMMER to the poilce.
Scamming is a job allowed for Thai locals.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, StevoLe said:

I pay 3 every month using the PEA App and Bangkok Bank.  You have to pay it using iBanking and not the phone app.  You select bank transfer then the bank and it goes to iBanking to log in.

Thanks Steve my bill is due within the next few days. I will try it. Do I select iBanking from within the PEA app?

Edited by RobU

12 hours ago, stat said:

Great idea: In 2024 I walk somewhere stand in line and waste 3 hours of my life, lost for words...

Average time to pay at our PEA office is under 2 minutes.

14 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

It is a great idea. :thumbsup:

3 hours or lost money. Up to you.

NB I never spent more than 10 minutes in the local PEA office when I used to pay them.

Never needed to show a passport when paying any bill. Certainly not in the PEA office.

They will take money off anyone.

2mins on the PEA app

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Nah, just set up automatic deduction from your bank account.

PEA leaves your bill in the box outside, then pulls the charge from your authorized account.

I totally agree with you NDN, I've been using auto debit for my power and water accounts for the past 22 years, not one problem. Just to be on the safe side my auto debits are from a bank account I use for this purpose only. So if I was scammed I would lose only a minimum amount.

6 hours ago, RobU said:

Thanks Steve my bill is due within the next few days. I will try it. Do I select iBanking from within the PEA app?

Seems like the obvious choice. Then choose your particular bank, and you will be directed to your App.

20 hours ago, stat said:

Great idea: In 2024 I walk somewhere stand in line and waste 3 hours of my life, lost for words...

It takes me 5 minuets to pay my bill at our PE office, it is on one of my regular routes, I think your 180 minutes is ......way OTT.

4 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

I pay mine at 7-11.    Hand them the bill, they work it and I give them the money for the bill amount.  So far no problems.   And a short line  to pay.

They use the same system for paying for services as the fake bill with the barcode. They also just scan it. If the 7/11 cashier doesn't carefully check who the payment will go to then it'll just work as if it was a real bill. Better pay it via the PEA app really.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Seems like the obvious choice. Then choose your particular bank, and you will be directed to your App.

Thank you

19 hours ago, mania said:

This probably means all their customer data security has been breached.

Because if they have a name/account number etc etc for these scam bills that means they have access.

If not then those who just scan & pay are pretty gullible

Maybe Inside work.

8 hours ago, pelagicpete said:

3 days ago, the 18th March, I got a pink bill. Never had a pink one before.

No idea if it is real or fake.

Yep i had the same pink bill for March, wifey phoned our local PEA and they confirmed they had changed the colour to pink, so OK.

21 hours ago, SportRider said:

Pay by direct debit .. a bit of paperwork to set up, but after that - no worries ever.  

I have never been comfortable with the concept of direct debits.. and many years ago, when I first came to live in Thailand, some advice I received put me off further. For years I went to their office, then started to pay at the 7-11, and more recently by simply scanning the QR code on the bill. I accept if I and the Mrs are away from home, this does not work.... but I could get the PEA/PWA Apps in that case.

• Confused 1