Favourite Bangkok Restaurant

ashacat

Hi all,

I'm thinkin of taking Mrs Ashacat out for a bit of grub tonight, but I want to go somewhere new. I'm looking for somewhere with a really nice ambiance and decent food (don't care whether it's Thai, Italian. Japanese etc etc) but not too expensive, maybe around 1,500-2,000 Baht excluding alcohol.

We usually go to Bella Napoli, Cabbages and Condoms, Crepes and Co. but I fancy something different tonight.

Has anyone got any suggestions for us? What is your favourite restauant for atmosphere and food in central Bangkok?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I'm thinkin of taking Mrs Ashacat out for a bit of grub tonight, but I want to go somewhere new. I'm looking for somewhere with a really nice ambiance and decent food (don't care whether it's Thai, Italian. Japanese etc etc) but not too expensive, maybe around 1,500-2,000 Baht excluding alcohol.

We usually go to Bella Napoli, Cabbages and Condoms, Crepes and Co. but I fancy something different tonight.

Has anyone got any suggestions for us? What is your favourite restauant for atmosphere and food in central Bangkok?

Eat Me in Silom is great, and I think in your price range.

For sheer opulence, you can't beat the Oriental. I think I ate in their seafood restaurant (dear god -- the sushi is better than most of Tokyo!), but I can't say what it cost -- I wasn't paying. :D

I hope you have a lovely night out, wherever you go! :o

Thanks for the ideas guys!! Keep em coming! Canadagirl: Yeah, I have heard good things about "Eat me"....

Anyone got any comments about, Blue Elephant, Celadon (in the Sukhothai) and Vertigo? any good?

Edited by ashacat

Blue Elephant - Nice house, but full of tourists. Food very average (especially for the price)

Celadon - Smart dining. Food was quite good. But only went once and not that keen to go again.

Vertigo - not eaten there, but watch the weather!

Some other suggestions:

Face (Suk 38): your choice of Indian or Thai food. I've only gone on the Indian side - it was delicious. Beautiful old house setting. Grab a pastry/cake at their bakers after.

Baan Kanitha: it's full of expats, but I think their food is pretty good. Again, nice service, nice surroundings.

Cafe de Lao: Silom Soi 19 - very good food. Nice house.

Khrua Nai Baan: Soi Lang Suan (opp soi 7): not very romantic, but has great reasonably priced seafood.

My favs are the little humous place just before the Khao San Road Police Station - been there over 16 years and you can still get five felafels and humous and a cold beer for about 150 baht !!!! Also for a good Thai meal with excellent wine list try The Hemlock on Phra Atit Road just near the Phra Atit boat stop. Lots of educated Thais and UN types eat there, it's gorgeous.

yep, i love the falafel place seonai, but i do find that i have to drink about 10 litres of water afterwards! its usually a tad salty for me - and i love salty stuff too.

i like joy luck club on phra arthit road too, down near the fort. the food has always been good there, and the rice comes out shaped like a teddy bear with eyes and a nose. very cute.

for food court dining, i love the loft and central chitlom. very good food there for a food court.

My favs are the little humous place just before the Khao San Road Police Station - been there over 16 years and you can still get five felafels and humous and a cold beer for about 150 baht !!!! Also for a good Thai meal with excellent wine list try The Hemlock on Phra Atit Road just near the Phra Atit boat stop. Lots of educated Thais and UN types eat there, it's gorgeous.

Oh yeah, the Hemlock is great! I second that recommendation -- and the food is SO cheap.

What about Roti Mataba? (I think this is on the same road) -- not really a date place, since it's kind of a dive but I'd kill for a curry from there and some mataba right now!!!! :o

Thanks for the ideas guys!! Keep em coming! Canadagirl: Yeah, I have heard good things about "Eat me"....

Anyone got any comments about, Blue Elephant, Celadon (in the Sukhothai) and Vertigo? any good?

Went to Vertigo last night...not that good, to be honest. They attempt French-Japanese fusion food, which can be hit or miss...we were 6 people and 4 dishes were very good, 2 not too good. And EXPENSIVE - 1.500 / main course. It's much better to go there just for drinks.

Thanks for the suggestions. In the end we went to Face Bar on Soi 38.

Opted for the Indian side and the food was superb. The restaurant is in a lovely old Thai style wooden house with a chilled out bar downstairs serving great (but pretty pricey) cocktails. Definately recommended. Cheers bkkmei!!

Himali Cha Cha is excellent, although for Indian food it is really difficult to beat the Tandoor at the Holiday Inn on Silom.

I had the best Italian food I have ever had earlier this week at Giusto on Sukhumvit 23, it was expensive (in the region of 1000 Baht per dish) but it was superb.

Uhh wow..

I like this topic. Good updates about restaurant in Bkk since I was away from home for some time now i got some ideas of where to go :o

Just went for dinner at a restaurant on Tanon Tok today -- Goodview resturant. The food was good and it wasnt expensive. The view of the river with live music. But most customers are Thais, but i saw some foreigners too. So i recommend this place.

Last night, i went to Brown Sugar. I was lil surprised that they raised the price but service and place r still the same. Music was still good but i think that its little bit expensive.

Hi All,

My favourite is “ Harmonique” on Charoen Krung Ph: 02 630 6270. French name run by a couple of old Thai ladies in a old shop house filled with antiques. No air-con BUT food is top class service as only Thai traditional can do! Prices are ok. Good luck or bon appetite.

DeDanan

I've got to disagree with some posters here...

Giusto was a waste of money. The food taste was average (very salty), presentation excellent, value for money terrible. I was very ill the next day.

Italians on Langsuan are all poor (are there any good Italians in BKK?!)

Kuppa was awful...both the food and service

Eat Me on soi Convent was not good either...nice looking restaurant, but menu extremely limited and the food nothing special.

Millennium Hilton's restaurant downstairs is very good, as is the Marriott Riverside's.

For a good value daytime meal, you can't beat The Terrace at Central Chidlom believe it or not!

Hi all,

I like Indigo, a French restaurant on Convent Road. It's at the end of a dead-end Soi about 50 meters from Silom on the right side of Convent. Good food and ambience. Taseful interior in old wood renovated structure. Mixed Thai and Farang clientele. I've never had a bad meal there. I prefer it to Let's Eat. It's less expensive as well.

I think the following are all good for Italian:

L'Opera, Sukhumvit Soi 39

Rossini's, in the Sheraton grande on Sukhumvit

Angelinis, Shangri La Hotel

Limoncello, Sukhumvit Soi 11

Zanotti, Soi Sala Daeng

Any of these are better than good. Limoncello is not as flash as the others, but offers good value. Rossini's and Angelinis are on the expensive side, but very, very good.

Edited by stickman

I've got to disagree with some posters here...

Giusto was a waste of money. The food taste was average (very salty), presentation excellent, value for money terrible. I was very ill the next day.

Kuppa was awful...both the food and service

Eat Me on soi Convent was not good either...nice looking restaurant, but menu extremely limited and the food nothing special.

Millennium Hilton's restaurant downstairs is very good, as is the Marriott Riverside's.

For a good value daytime meal, you can't beat The Terrace at Central Chidlom believe it or not!

:D I'm glad somebody had the nerve to add The Terrace at Central Chidlom to this list.

My Thai G/F usually pulls me there for shopping when I'm in BKK and the only good part is that I get is to eat at The Terrace.

The Baked Rice Pot with Seafood is a real treat. Seafood and mussels baked in a pot with rice. Love it.

:o

P.S. : For food court stuff you have to try upstairs (Think it's called The Loft). Soups with noodles that will rock your world.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

IMO Gianni's in Soi Tonson (just behind Langsuan) has very good Italian food.

Neil's Tavern (there is one in Soi Ruam Rudee and one in Asoke) the best steak I've found in Bangkok so far. Not cheap.

Sh** I'm not supposed to be thinking about food! :o

Neil's Tavern (there is one in Soi Ruam Rudee and one in Asoke) the best steak I've found in Bangkok so far. Not cheap.

Yes, and another positive thing by IMO Gianni there are good prices!

For the pizza one of the best is Via Vai on Sukhunvit 8 (there is the old chef from Bella Napoli)

Neil’s Tavern has the best steak in BKK? You jest? If not, get thee to Park Avenue Steak House in Mercury Tower by BTS Chidlom – pricey, but very good. I haven’t been in a while – maybe I’ll go on Friday.

Neil’s Tavern has the best steak in BKK? You jest? If not, get thee to Park Avenue Steak House in Mercury Tower by BTS Chidlom – pricey, but very good. I haven’t been in a while – maybe I’ll go on Friday.

Well, we all have our opinions. I would agree that Neil's Tavern is the best place for a steak. Just as an aside, I always finish with their Irish Coffee. They make a real show of the preparation and the result is terrific.

As to the Park Avenue, I refuse to go there. The first, and only time I've gone there I walked out, telling them I wouldn't be back. They had been running a big ad in the paper featuring the prime rib. When I ordered, I was told they were out! Out of the featured item? No decent, first class restaurant would run out! If they are going to promote a specific dish, they should have enough supply on hand!