Bangkok shrouded in mysterious smog late Wednesday night

snoop1130

If you travel north through Koen Kahn, Korat, Chiang Mai, etc. you'll see huge areas of what looks like "scorched earth".  If you look closer you will see local nationals actively burning their fields.

Every year they promise to enforce the no-burn laws yet each year the burning persists although they always are quick to point fingers at neighboring countries, vehicles, etc.  It must be a customs thing or perhaps it's ingrained into them to burn their fields every year I don't know.  I do know that this is human created and not much is being done to prevent it.

Folks nationwide are suffering from it and I would imagine it affects the economy and tourism greatly.

9 hours ago, aseanfan said:

I live in Bangkok.  There is no smell of burning and no mysterious smog.  Who is writing this 'news''?

I live in Bangkok. There was a smell of burning the other night and there was a horrid chemical smell a few nights ago after the rain, can't remember the exact day.

1 hour ago, Shutterbug Guy said:

If you travel north through Koen Kahn, Korat, Chiang Mai, etc. you'll see huge areas of what looks like "scorched earth".  If you look closer you will see local nationals actively burning their fields.

Every year they promise to enforce the no-burn laws yet each year the burning persists although they always are quick to point fingers at neighboring countries, vehicles, etc.  It must be a customs thing or perhaps it's ingrained into them to burn their fields every year I don't know.  I do know that this is human created and not much is being done to prevent it.

Folks nationwide are suffering from it and I would imagine it affects the economy and tourism greatly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68487230

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Untitled-design-1.jpg

Many people in and around Bangkok reported the smell of burning late Wednesday night, as the city became shrouded in smog, with the amount of PM2.5 exceeding the 37.5 micron (µg/m³) threshold in 47 of the capital’s 50 districts.

The three districts most affected by PM2.5 dust were Don Mueang (143.5µg/m³), Lak Si (143µg/m³) and Bang Sue (139µg/m³), according to Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA).

The “Smell of something burning” hashtag on “X” was top trending late last night.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-03-21

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

Guess this is still the cause of the 120+ reading on my 2.5 micron meter this Friday morning!  Smoke is visable.  Even within the house, have to have the air purifiers all running.  Guess BKK will be up on the charts with CM area.

i did smell it from my balcony (sathorn - suanplu area). It did feel pretty weird as the smell arose really fast, very suddenly. Looked around thinking someone was burning something near-by, but no. Wonder where it came from.

Whereas before it was not to be sniffed at,

perhaps it's a pervasive, slowly smouldering resentment, arisen from all the burning issues and questions that fall on the deaf ears of a false dichotomy.

I doubt it will ever be the detritus of the obsequious nor rapacious, burning social media martyrs.

2 hours ago, Shutterbug Guy said:

When, and only when, something affects the rich or politicians will they do something about it. Living in an air conditioned life makes it easier to not care about what's going on around you. This goes for anyone living here. Thinking this is a warm , sunny paradise and hiding from it most of the day doesn't make sense. When you can go outside and not worry about pollution is when you can really enjoy the outdoors. There are ways to get the burning stopped that have already been introduced elsewhere. Paying a fine when you break the law is the best deterrent, especially if you aren't wealthy. Same goes for traffic laws and regulations that are ignored.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1