Strange number on my phone on a call from Australia.

Dazinoz

A few days ago I was expecting a call from Australia. At about the expected time my phone rang but when I looked at the number it seemed strange. Normally I would not have answer, however I did but there was no one there. A short time later I received an email from the person trying to call saying she had tried to call 3 times but I had only received 1.

The number was +6970500000000. When I looked up country code on Google I got "69 is the special area code dedicated for the Ministry of Defence (Vietnam) and the Ministry of Public Security (Vietnam).

+697 indicates a voice call over internet protocol from overseas .

The Thai government currently has scam warnings out against the prefix and may be blocking legitimate voip traffic as well.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, n00dle said:

The Thai government currently has scam warnings out against the prefix and may be blocking legitimate voip traffic as well.  

Oh ok, I only looked up +69.

Explains more but she did try 3 times.

Did she dial international access number (0011) - 66 - your 9 digit number?

As said +697 is scam calls prefix so likely just happened when you were actually expecting a call.

• Like 2

I had a call from the same number a few days ago.  It didnt ring long just like they knew it wouldnt be answered.  Coincidentally there was a funny number call just before it, from Nonthaburi, which usually means DTAC or Lazada call centre nuisance calls which I always ignore.  I did a google search for the number and it showed +697 and +698 to be voice calls over internet as n00dle said above.  The way the 2 calls were so close and the second so short, gave me a strong feeling they were related.

21 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Did she dial international access number (0011) - 66 - your 9 digit number?

As said +697 is scam calls prefix so likely just happened when you were actually expecting a call.

Don't know what she dialled. We ended up having a Microsoft Teams message.

Wife just had a call from that number, rang twice then stopped. I had the same number call me last week but I knew the +69 was a scam number. Really do wonder how they get our numbers as they are not given out to anyone except friends and family.

29 minutes ago, Mister T said:

Wife just had a call from that number, rang twice then stopped. I had the same number call me last week but I knew the +69 was a scam number. Really do wonder how they get our numbers as they are not given out to anyone except friends and family.

Suspect they are just mass dialing all numbers by computer - which is why most never connect to actual scammer (busy with someone else).  But likely have a record of answered call so have you number for next time.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, n00dle said:

Any evidence or you just trolling again just for the sake of it ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

The Wife got a call from France the other day ,she has an app

on her phone that our daughter installed for her and it blocked

it ,warned her it was scammers .

regards worgeordie

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Suspect they are just mass dialing all numbers by computer - which is why most never connect to actual scammer (busy with someone else).  But likely have a record of answered call so have you number for next time.

Correct.  I had a girlfriend years ago who did telemarketing however before mobiles and computers.  .  She reckoned sometimes they went through the white pages from front to back and sometimes they went through the numbers numerically.  Anybody who was a buyer went on a list and were the first to get hit next time.  The lists were also sold on the open market to other telemarketers etc.

They can get your number also from entering competitions

I subscribe to a daily newspaper and they have competitions online you can enter .

Recently I entered one for a Garmin watch but changed my name to WAYNE KERR

Lo & behold 3 days later a call from the Philippines asking for ......😉

Edited by georgegeorgia

On 3/22/2024 at 3:43 PM, Mister T said:

An pretty sure my mobile number is given to the bank AND Immigration.

What could go wrong with that !

+697 and +698 are VoIP, voice over internet - all spam calls. Had a few Philippinas on the phone and told them to wait for I was just too interested on what they had to offer. But I had to finish another (non-existing) call first. Kept the receiver next to me, my radio playing in the background and every once and then I spoke into the phone that I would be with her soonest. 

The longest wait was a solid 48 minutes - time she wasted and could not make other calls ........... 

• Haha 2

On 3/22/2024 at 3:43 PM, Mister T said:

Auto dialing programs are one method. They dont have to know who they are calling its all done with software 

• Agree 1