free backup software

Mavideol

Does anybody know a good/stable/reliable FREE source to download Aomei Backuper or Macrium Reflect as I need to clone and backup SSD, thanks

5 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Does anybody know a good/stable/reliable FREE source to download Aomei Backuper or Macrium Reflect as I need to clone and backup SSD, thanks

I have generally had good results with Major Geeks

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

Make sure you read the Editor's Note at the bottom of the article

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, topt said:

I have generally had good results with Major Geeks

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

Make sure you read the Editor's Note at the bottom of the article

thanks, was just there before reading your post, it has a free version there, hope it's really free

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I used Samsung software. It is free and works fine with Samsung SSDs, maybe also with others.

I am sure other manufacturers have their own free software. 

thanks, unfortunately Samsung only works with Samsung, my kid's SSD is WD, in the past used Macrium but not more freebees their license is 65USD year, not to bad, but would prefer the free version 555

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In general, backup and clone software are something different.

I will look for clone software if you need that, and/or backup if you need backup.

Not same, different. 

Aomei and Macrium have both options on one of their versions called Server Plus, I do know the difference thus the reason I am looking for both as the kid's laptop will need clone and myself need to update my backup, original backup made with Seagate software but when needed to restore some files were not backed up thus removed Seagate Toolkit as useless for my case

39 minutes ago, terryq said:

Macrium Reflect Free edition can image or clone a disk. Have used it for years.

(Yes, I know the free edition is not going to be further updated, but do not see that as a problem at this time)

Absolutely. The only thing missing from the free edition as far as I am concerned is the separate file and folder backup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

thanks, was just there before reading your post, it has a free version there, hope it's really free

Read the whole article including the bit at the end. Should not be an issue for what you are looking to do. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, topt said:

Absolutely. The only thing missing from the free edition as far as I am concerned is the separate file and folder backup.

You can't do a file & folder backup, but you can recover individual files and folders by mounting a backup image as a virtual drive and then copying the files/folders  that you want to recover to their original locations. I'm sure you already know that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Use a linux live boot USB and then you have access to the “dd' command which does all you need.

Then, after you see how much better it is running Linux, just install it and get rid of the windows nonsense. 

• Haha 2

Went over to Macrium Reflect when I started using Win10 (2016).  I don't recall what release it was, but at one point I made a bootable thumb drive and have been using it that way since.  The only time I use the installed program is to mount an image.  Performance has been great

There are some file management programs out there that will help with backing up individual files and dirs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

True. Cloned a disk just yesterday with it.

my free edition expired and already extended their 7 days extra, will check what other options they are offering

thanks everybody for all recommendations, I did solve the problem as I found a good working Macrium a Torrent at FTU

my free edition expired and already extended their 7 days extra, will check what other options they are offering

Macrium Reflect Free (for personal use) doesn't expire. Any trial premium features do. From the OP you don't need any premium features.

• Agree 1

thanks everybody for all recommendations, I did solve the problem as I found a good working Macrium a Torrent at FTU

Your old Macrium, if the free edition, still worked.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BigStar said:

Your old Macrium, if the free edition, still worked.

problem solved, thanks for the advise, appreciate

• Thumbs Up 2