Have you ever got a sick note from a doctor?

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

So, an allowance in case you needed it for sickness. Not an extra 2-week holiday?

Many of my staff consider their sick leave (30 day per annum) to be extra holiday leave.

I remembered, I also had some time off when I smashed my knee playing football.  It was swollen like a watermelon with the knee cap around the side. I couldn't walk and it required extensive treatment to get it working again. It was the end of my playing career.

I still have pain in it now, many decades later. 

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Many of my staff consider their sick leave (30 day per annum) to be extra holiday leave.

30 a year! Without a certificate?  Seems very excessive.

If staff were just using that consistently there should have been some sort of system to monitor reasons.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yes, I have taken a single day off here and there for flu etc, but never any length of time that would need a sick note.

There's no such thing as a 1 day flu, every employer knows that,  except the, "I got up, couldn't be arsed going to work, and flew back to bed"

16 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

30 a year! Without a certificate?  Seems very excessive.

If staff were just using that consistently there should have been some sort of system to monitor reasons.

Certs required.

but they are not hard to get.

When working for a company in Thailand (13 years all in) I took a day off whenever I wanted one probably once a month. the policy was clear and doctor's note was only required for extended illness.

I never took time off when I had a deadline looming, nor did it ever affect my work, but if I put in long hours building up to something, once it was over, you can be certain I claimed that time back. 

24 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

There's no such thing as a 1 day flu, every employer knows that,  except the, "I got up, couldn't be arsed going to work, and flew back to bed"

food poisoning was a far more common excuse in Thailand, the dodgy shrimp defense.

3 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

At my workplace, we need a sicknote for 3 days or more off.

I got one last year for the flu.

And you have had too many sick days this year !

I hope you are placed on a attendance management plan

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

So, an allowance in case you needed it for sickness. Not an extra 2-week holiday?

In a way they do they called it 'Holiday loading' I'm not sure exactly as I was employed by an agency and did not get 'sick pay'. All I remember is that if you hadn't taken your sick days you were considered a fool. 

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

You never needed a sick certificate...  Because you didn't work a day in your life !

the intelligent insults never end. Well done sir.    

19 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Certs required.

but they are not hard to get.

OK

I would support some form of review if there seemed to be fraud involved.

However, I also think 1 month pay could be insufficient in cases of genuine severe illness or injury.  A valued employee should be helped for a reasonable period until able to resume. Again, review of circumstances and perhaps length of service should be a consideration. Of course, the business can't be expected to wear the financial burden of long term or permanent disability (unless the disability was work related).  Government social services kick in.

My opinions are based on the concept that a good employee is integral to the success of a business, deserving of treatment above that of broken machine, and not automatically dispensable.

19 hours ago, n00dle said:

When working for a company in Thailand (13 years all in) I took a day off whenever I wanted one probably once a month. the policy was clear and doctor's note was only required for extended illness.

I never took time off when I had a deadline looming, nor did it ever affect my work, but if I put in long hours building up to something, once it was over, you can be certain I claimed that time back. 

Once a month sick day!

Omg....how would one get away with that ?

I'm sure even the staff in the ASEAN forum office wouldn't be allowed that 🤣

Edited by georgegeorgia

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

However, I also think 1 month pay could be insufficient in cases of genuine severe illness or injury.  A valued employee should be helped for a reasonable period until able to resume. Again, review of circumstances and perhaps length of service should be a consideration. Of course, the business can't be expected to wear the financial burden of long term or permanent disability (unless the disability was work related).  Government social services kick in.

My opinions are based on the concept that a good employee is integral to the success of a business, deserving of treatment above that of broken machine, and not automatically dispensable.

Last year I had a 3 months off sick (hospitalized) all covered by accrued sick leave.

Once a month I see my doctor, that day off is covered by business leave.

Employees here that are clearly taking the piss cant be simply dismissed as the Thai labour court will be all over it..so those are performance managed, eventually they resign.

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Last year I had a 3 months off sick (hospitalized) all covered by accrued sick leave.

Once a month I see my doctor, that day off is covered by business leave.

Employees here that are clearly taking the piss cant be simply dismissed as the Thai labour court will be all over it..so those are performance managed, eventually they resign.

3 months off ?

Bit dramatic isn't it ?

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

3 months off ?

Bit dramatic isn't it ?

Absolutely dramatic.

3 cardiac arrests.

severe phnuomia both lungs.

perforated large intestine.

kidney removal due to large malignant tumor.

Edited by Ralf001

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Absolutely dramatic.

3 cardiac arrests.

severe phnuomia both lungs.

perforated large intestine.

kidney removal due to large malignant tumor.

You obviously can't remember your lies.

Just last week in a post ...to me...you said you had nothing wrong with you... remember?Il

I said you were dying .you said " no I'm not ...I leave for work at 5am and return at 7pm."

If your going to lie Son....write it down so you remember!

It's no use writing in 2 weeks in another post you bench pressed 200kg at the gym ,ran a marathon ....and forgot you had written you had 3 heart attacks ,4 strokes and a sore  bum in a previous post !

Edited by georgegeorgia

On 3/24/2024 at 5:49 PM, simon43 said:

In other words, during your working career(s), did you ever go to the doctor and get signed off work?  Were you actually sick?

In my 39 years of various jobs in the UK, EU and Asia, I cannot think of any occasion when I have got a sick note.  Yes, I have taken a single day off here and there for flu etc, but never any length of time that would need a sick note.

My question comes after reading of the startling stats from the UK about millions of Brits - young and old - who have diagnosed themselves as in poor mental health (using my good friend Dr Google), and have gone on to get signed off work and onto long-term sick pay.

Are they 'swinging the lead'?.  Are they really in such poor mental health that they are unable to work? Are they just experiencing the normal ups and downs of mental stress, depression etc? Perhaps they are just lazy ****s!

What's your opinion?  And are you/have you been in the same boat?

No never. Even went to work when I was diagnosed with Malaria. Most of the ones claiming mental issues probably have got them but only because they are lazy.

27 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You obviously can't remember your lies.

Just last week in a post ...to me...you said you had nothing wrong with you... remember?Il

I said you were dying .you said " no I'm not ...I leave for work at 5am and return at 7pm."

If your going to lie Son....write it down so you remember!

Correct, there is nothing wrong with me.

what am i lying about ?