Living The Dream

Sunburn

I know I'm probably going to leave myself open to a lot of flaming from the more sarcastic members of the forum but I'm going to go ahead anyway.

Basically I'm a 29 yr old single man who is ready to give up living in the U.K. and move to Thailand permanently. I already have a TEFL course place in Pattaya which is paid for and a little room near the centre my Thai GF has found for me, so now I'm just working away to raise the cash for the first couple of months.

The reason I'm posting is to see if any members have been there, done that & find out how they got on. Can you really survive in Pattaya on a teachers wages? Are there jobs available in the language schools there? I'm sure some of you have done or still are teaching there so it would be good to hear from you.

(Before anyone tells me to post in Ajarn, last time I looked it was down & I spend a lot of time on this forum & want to know what YOU lot think.)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go for it man...I am a young guy too and just love my life here.

I doubt anyone here will tell you to post on Ajarn, from what I have seen they are all coming over here now, not that there were that many to begin with :o

I'm a teacher from England too. I burnt my boats in the UK (flogged all my possessions, got no savings, tax bloke after me - can't ever go back, wouldn't want to).

I spent a wonderful couple of years in Nepal, now I have a job lined up in Thailand - I'm off in 4 weeks.

I Nepal I had a roof over my head and food. Money wasn't necessary. In Thailand my job is in Isaan where I'm hoping the standard of living is cheap enough. Again, I have a room and food provided.

I haven't been to Pattaya yet - it's on my list for this time next month but my impression is that the standard of living is high for Thailand. It might be tight making ends meet on a teacher's salary and what you won't be able to do is what the rest of the farangs are doing - indulging in the nightlife. You gotta gal so you won't be paying ST/LT but if you like your alcohol you might struggle.

But like the guy above said - just go for it. As far as I'm concerned the only thing to fear is fear itself (and AIDS possibly).

How much is a teacher's salary?

But anyway, don't believe the figures that come up in some threads for living expenses. If you are prepared to 'rough' it, i.e. no aircon, not much nightlife, no car and unnecessary 'luxury', but Thai food from street stalls, one room apartment, second hand motorbike and drinking Sang Thip rather than beer, undemanding girlfriend, you should have a great time on as little as 10.000bt up, not including private insurance, visa runs and saving for your return flight, which you should cover before you go.

There are lots of 'things' you could spend money on, though, temptation (and I don't mean only nightlife) is hard to resist, as there is so much that will make you feel even better and is a bargain compared to whereever you come from.

Depends on what you are used to.

Good luck!

Stroll is right; 10K baht a month is about right.......just remember that you'll make /clear less than 300/hour, and if my math is right, you'll have to have 35 or more billable hours a month, plus enough extra to do the visa runs, emergenccies, etc. One question you should ask yourself & your gf is what SHE thinks you'll make per month. If you, indeed, do make 10-12000/month when she thinks you'll make 30K, it could be problemmatic....

If you teach in Bangkok and build a good reputation as a competent, reliable teacher, you could be making anywhere from 30,000-40,000 Baht a month.

At the end of a nine year stretch of teaching in bangkok, I was making 60,000

Baht a month. I was overworked and very tired though; I was doing it for the money. At 30,000-40,000 one could live very well without burning out. I stopped because other opportunities came to me.

I too wish you luck.

Maybe though I am a lazy bastard but I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 200K/month. And preferably considerably more as well.

When I go to work which I still do occasionaly, I prefer to work the hours, perhaps in some god forsaken corner of the world and then take a year off and relax.

If your young (as you are) it's OK to go into suspension mode for a couple of years and tread water finance wise.

But you can't live your entire life on 10K/month.

You only have to look around and see how many Thais are doing on that income and it's not all that flash.

Good on ya Sunburn!

I am an old geezer, but I am doing the very same thing......

Fortunately however, I have bought a little house just outside Pattaya, and I have a nice Pension, to add to any money I make Teaching English.

Wish I could be encouraging about jobs in Pattaya, but sadly they are not in abundance.

Bangkok, as has been said, is THE place for Work & good Salaries.

(Can't understand how anyone, living in stinking Bangkok, can sneer at exciting Pattaya?)

All the best.......

Thais can live on 10K a month but they know the ropes and are less demanding than falangs.

Not a flame, but when TG discovers she is sharing 10k a month she will quickly find additional income as she expects falang to make and provide much more than a mototaxi man.

Remember, Pattaya is geared to falang budgets and 30K is about bare bones if you want to do more than sit in a dingy room.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, mostly optimistic & encouraging there, I appreciate that!

My GF knows exactly how much I'll be earning & I am prepared to 'rough it.' Never use air-con, will eat from street stalls & quite happy in front of the tele with a bottle of Mekhong :o

It does seem that all the teachers are in Bangkok though, surely there are some opportunities in Pattaya, that's the place I fell in love with (warts and all) and that's the place I want to settle.

Anyone out there who's taught in Pattaya, and can give me a few pointers in the right direction?

My GF knows exactly how much I'll be earning & I am prepared to 'rough it.' Never use air-con, will eat from street stalls & quite happy in front of the tele with a bottle of Mekhong :o

I somehow feel that the new immigration policies are not made with people like you in mind. I would consider taking a look at those immigration policies before you make a decision like that, it might affect your future life. Being an ESl teacher doesn't command much respect by the way, your choice of town only contributes to that. Why not get a decent ESL qualification in London? You might be able to use it later in a country which pays better.

Good luck!

Dutchy

PS Did you ever consider that your girlfriend might meet someone who is not prepared to 'rough it'? There's a lof of farang choice in Pattaya, not being cynical, merely realistic. :D True love is hard to find in Pattaya... :D

Only been to Patty once and it wouldn't be my first choice of place to live or teach. Would your GF be prepared to move to Bangers?

Good post by the way, you're not the only teacher here and you'll only get flamed on here if you deserve to be which you clearly don't.

Fair play to you, you're ambitious and determined to get what you want which is what it's all about my friend. :o

Some one should read the fable of the grasshopper and the ant!

It all sounds absolutely fabulous ...... until anything goes wrong, like sickness or pregnancy or job/visa restrictions or age creeps up. If you have no reserves and have no capacity to build reserves, the chances are that one day ....... :o

Thanks guys, mostly optimistic & encouraging there, I appreciate that!

My GF knows exactly how much I'll be earning & I am prepared to 'rough it.' Never use air-con, will eat from street stalls & quite happy in front of the tele with a bottle of Mekhong :D

It does seem that all the teachers are in Bangkok though, surely there are some opportunities in Pattaya, that's the place I fell in love with (warts and all) and that's the place I want to settle.

Anyone out there who's taught in Pattaya, and can give me a few pointers in the right direction?

Warts, what warts? :o

Some one should read the fable of the grasshopper and the ant!

It all sounds absolutely fabulous ...... until anything goes wrong, like sickness or pregnancy or job/visa restrictions or age creeps up. If you have no reserves and have no capacity to build reserves, the chances are that one day ....... :o

I agree with emmu.

Just hope you see the light before its too late.

But maybe you have rich family to back you up ar leave you a small fortune.

They are great guys here, and so is their advice.

BUT, you do your own thing fella, and if it all goes Pear shaped, you are young enough to, "Pick yourself up. Dust yourself down, and start all over again" as the song goes.......

Regarding work in Pattaya. Get a list of schools. Turn-up with your CV, and hope for the best........Hope you don't have to rough-it for TOO long!

Note to Ajarn immigrants.

Nice to see you posting here. I missed you!

It's pretty clear I guess. Frankly, one has to be an idiot to try to start a new life in Thailand now. I guess there more people leaving then coming now, I know some married couples that try to establish a new existence in New Zealand and Australia. These countries are a 'bit' more generous in providing residency visas even if both people do not hold local citizinship. It's money that counts in Thailand and with your plan to 'rough it' you're not going to impress anyone at all.

Good luck but try to get yourself a career back home kiddo

Dutchy

What the heck? Why not go for it. You'll have an interesting time and gain a lot of experience even if you fail. That experience could serve as the impetus for great success in the future. Remember that if you knock on enough doors, one will open. If you don't like what's beyond the door, close it and keep knocking. At your age the courage to try something that may not work out might be one of your most valuable assets. :o

At the very least, you will be able to share your experiences with the members of this forum. :D